Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 03:45 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,128,408 times

Advertisements

Does she feel like you're "quizzing" her and expecting her to know about these things? That's what her response in your first post suggests to me; it sounds defensive. Her response in your post #4 suggests she doesn't want to chit-chat, she just wants to get the job done. Maybe she's tired of you reminiscing. She doesn't have to like what you like, or even be open to liking what you like. (Do you ask her about the music she listens to and things she knows about so you can open-mindedly learn to like them?)

And no, it's not "a millennial thing;" why would you think it is? My coworkers used to make fun of me for listening to music "before my time." They'd walk in while I was listening to the Beatles or the Eagles or Pink Floyd, and quiz me about it, like they thought I was just pretending to like it or something. A former boss once described me as "stuck in the 60s"-- and he didn't mean I was old-fashioned or conservative or a luddite. I suppose if I'd been listening to N'Sync and Alanis Morrissette and Lil Wayne and Katy Perry instead, they could've been like you and complaining that I only liked stuff contemporary to my age. Can't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 04:43 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,070,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Does she feel like you're "quizzing" her and expecting her to know about
these things? That's what her response in your first post suggests to me;
it sounds defensive. Her response in your post #4 suggests she doesn't
want to chit-chat, she just wants to get the job done. Maybe she's tired
of you reminiscing. She doesn't have to like what you like, or even be open
to liking what you like. (Do you ask her about the music she listens to and
things she knows about so you can open-mindedly learn to like them?)

And no, it's not "a millennial thing;" why would you think it is? My coworkers
used to make fun of me for listening to music "before my time." They'd walk
in while I was listening to the Beatles or the Eagles or Pink Floyd, and quiz me
about it, like they thought I was just pretending to like it or something. A former
boss once described me as "stuck in the 60s"-- and he didn't mean I was old-fashioned
or conservative or a luddite. I suppose if I'd been listening to N'Sync and Alanis
Morrissette and Lil Wayne and Katy Perry instead, they could've been like you and
complaining that I only liked stuff contemporary to my age. Can't win.

I'm open to music from all decades, although I'd say my heart belongs before 1990(1940s-1980s).

As for consumer products, when I mentioned to her about turning the knob on TVs to change the channel, she went "sounds horrible".

It might not have been a "Millennial" thing at the time you were teased about your '70s listening habits - when was this, twenty years ago? Might have been younger X-ers.

I'm not trying to get Amy to like anything. I reminisce to folks of all ages. It's Amy's, and Gary's responses that I have issue with.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:25 PM

24,683 posts, read 26,256,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I'm open to music from all decades, although I'd say my heart belongs before 1990(1940s-1980s).

As for consumer products, when I mentioned to her about turning the knob on TVs to change the channel, she went "sounds horrible".

It might not have been a "Millennial" thing at the time you were teased about your '70s listening habits - when was this, twenty years ago? Might have been younger X-ers.

I'm not trying to get Amy to like anything. I reminisce to folks of all ages. It's Amy's, and Gary's responses that I have issue with.
There responses just don’t fit your agenda whatever that might be.

Is this thread somehow related to your previous thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/musi...low-music.html

Old 11-20-2020, 07:34 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,128,408 times
Quote:
And Amy's heart apparently belongs to a certain era of music as well.

Quote:
About five years ago, but okay, whatever snark floats your boat.

Quote:

Let's put it this way, then: Amy also doesn't have to care about things you care about. As someone else said, you won't get the responses if you don't start the conversation to begin with. They're not interested in talking about it, so why do you insist on doing so?

Old 11-21-2020, 12:11 AM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Attitude is all about how you present yourself. Maybe she feels you're being very condescending/patronizing to her.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:29 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,070,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Attitude is all about how you present yourself. Maybe she feels
you're being very condescending/patronizing to her.
Scenario: Amy is preparing an old Atari for the sales floor. It's on a rack along with dozens of other priced bric a brac. I spot it and go:

"Oh-my-Gosh, Amy, do you remember this Atari? I used to play it to death at my cousins!" (laughing about the memory of it)

Amy: "Why would I remember something that was before I was born?" (reacting as if I were the IRS with a thick envelope)

Me: "Like, your parents might have had it and told you about it?"

Amy: "No"

The same thing repeats with other co-workers, mainly with the response of "That's neat", or something to that effect.

I'm just saying, when I was of Millennial age, or younger, I never reacted with such a comment. I was curious, and in some cases wanted to know more.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:00 AM

30,913 posts, read 16,512,192 times
but you're you. Not everyone is like that.

You seem to have a problem accepting that.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:31 AM

16,804 posts, read 17,573,189 times
Play some Bach or Mozart....

Old 11-21-2020, 11:52 AM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
but you're you. Not everyone is like that.

You seem to have a problem accepting that.
^^This is correct. OP your tone of voice when you're presenting yourself to others tells a lot about you and your attitude.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:20 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,554,541 times
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."

-Maya Angelou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics