Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times

Advertisements

I notice that clerks "look" at your card but nobody asks for ID....I think of all the times I have used it, I have been asked only once at Christmastime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
I get asked constantly for my ID when I use my credit card. Quite a few businesses here (Best Buy!) are required to. Others ask because when they flip over my card they see, right next to my signature, "Ask for ID". If they don't ask I have a short talk with them about it then have another one with the manager. I tell the clerk to ask in the future, and the manager that if I come in again and I'm not asked it will be the last time I shop there. If enough customers would do this we would fix the problem ourselves.

OP, if you haven't changed banks yet - why?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Tek...............My bank has been right on top of it....they are in constant contact with me.. They shut down my card immediately...just takes a while (which they told me) to get it straightened out.

That is a GREAT IDEA though to write ask for ID.

I have physical possession of my card. The supermarket's system was hacked in to and somebody made their own card.
I should have immediately changed cards....but I thought that if I did not use my PIN, then nobody could use my card...How stupid was that mentality...
I think that whoever was letting this person use a stolen card over and over was in kahootz with them. It was repeatedly used at the same places.
This card was never stolen from me...the numbers were. The bank immediately picked up on it when someone kept taking $1.00 out in another state and shut it down. I called the bank to find out why we could not use the card and was then told about the situation.
On Monday morning, we found out what the damage was. On Friday, we just thought it was 6.00.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Yeah,,, crazyworld there isn’t much I can think of to protect one’s self in this type of situation. Hopefully it doesn’t happen too often. As for personal responsibilities Tek has a good idea of writing it on the back of the card.

Larger businesses must protect their systems from hackers but smaller companies may not have much of a firewall or protection on customer stored data. These are problems that IT people in businesses must have to deal with daily.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,610,853 times
Crazy, same thing happened to me last year with my debit card. The LOSERS managed to charge $600.00 at Walmart on my card, then went to a gas station and charged about $80.00 then out to eat and charged another hundred. The charges also took place in Texas

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM

This took place in Kyle TX (HEB Plus gas station- 12 transactions) and Schertz TX (Walmart- 2 transactions)

Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
This is a bigger problem then most of us realize and I’m sure that the authorities are limited in what they can do and how to go about stopping this crime. That being said it’s truly up to each of us to protect ourselves a little more. We should require all companies taking debit or credit cards to ask for two ID’s. We should require all purchases on credit card have a personal pin number (which isn’t used at this time on any credit card of mine). And instead of allowing your credit card to go “out of sight” in the hands of a waitress/waiter we should take the bill to the casher ourselves. I’m not saying that they are dishonest most are very good employees and I’ve never yet found this to be an issue but I don’t like my card being out of sight. IMO

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
Speaking of this.....

Last week my BF calls me screaming and yelling about WHY is there only so and so in his account. UH? I dunno. I don't use his account. I told him to go look up his transactions on line or call.

He did and had to run to the bank right after. Over the course of 5 days, they used a little over $600 from the account. Most of the charges were done in one particular gas station that he has never been to. The bank froze the account but reinstated the money within a few working days and he just received the new card in the mail yesterday. It's a good thing because we're leaving tomorrow.

I check my account online every single day. He never checks and even forgets when he used the card and for what. So every so often I have to keep checking up on him to make sure he doesn't go over, but this time I had not been checking his account. That should be his responsibility.

Oh and BTW, we had gone to dinner the previous Friday night and I have no idea why, the next day the Fraud dept from my BFs bank was calling to verify he had made that payment at that restaurant. Just after this, all the other charges started happening.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM

UPDATE: Took all this time because of the red tape and as of yesterday, finally got my money put back in my checking account.

Be careful folks!
This CAN happen to you even if you are careful!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I get asked constantly for my ID when I use my credit card. Quite a few businesses here (Best Buy!) are required to. Others ask because when they flip over my card they see, right next to my signature, "Ask for ID". If they don't ask I have a short talk with them about it then have another one with the manager. I tell the clerk to ask in the future, and the manager that if I come in again and I'm not asked it will be the last time I shop there. If enough customers would do this we would fix the problem ourselves.
Repped you for such a great idea -- "Ask for ID". I will do this now on my cards. Your idea is a truly useful, creative way we can be proactive in helping ourselves. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics