Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,427,785 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 20, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ?

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ?
Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ?

Bonus:
Have you ordered something that had a tracking (of the shipped package) number ?
If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ?

Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ?
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ?
Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ?
Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ?

Today in History:
1871: British Columbia enters the confederation of Canada, becoming its sixth province (or seventh, if territories are included)
1924: Founding of the World Chess Federation in Paris, France
1933: Birth of author Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men)
1945: Birth of singer-songwriter Kim Carnes (“Bette Davis Eyes”)
1948: Birth of actor Muse Watson (Prison Break)
1951: Birth of actor Jeff Rawle (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
1971: Birth of actress Sandra Oh (Killing Eve)
1976: NASA’s Viking 1 lander separates from its orbiter spacecraft & reaches the surface of Mars
1985: Birth of actor & screenwriter John Francis Daley (Bones)

Today’s Word:
altricial /alˈtriSHəl/ (adj.): Zoological term for animal species whose young require an extended period of care, feeding and tending after hatching/birth, rather than being already able to survive on their own.

Today Is:
Moon Day
Friendship Day (Argentina, Brazil)

-this week is-
National Moth Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at top & bottom center-

Thought for the Day:
“Even if what you’re working on doesn’t go anywhere, it will help you with the next thing you’re doing. Make yourself available for something to happen. Give it a shot.”

-Cormac McCarthy

Wishing all y’all a mid-month Monday where the projects on which you’re working get you somewhere
(and any mishaps or shortfalls are educational, for improving your future endeavors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 01:54 AM

21,741 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions?
No, I'm not handy that way, and we don't have extreme weather where I live.
Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.)?
No and no.
Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ?
Yes. I use it to dampen clothing when I'm ironing, to dampen my hair when I need to restyle it, and also to mist my air plant. When I had pet birds, I used a spray bottle to cool them off on hot days.
Bonus:
Have you ordered something that had a tracking (of the shipped package) number ?
If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ?
Y
es, many times. Tracking is usually pretty accurate, although recently a package came about five days before the scheduled date.
Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference?
I've adapted some older recipes for a modern kitchen. For example, a casserole recipe calls for heating up liquid ingredients, then adding shredded cheese to melt. I just put all the ingredients in the microwave and call it good. Some older recipes call for too much salt, so I either omit it or use a fraction of the amount.
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass)?
I prefer glass or metal cans to plastic.
Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to?
Soft drinks or cocktails = ice cubes
Wine or beer = no ice

Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture?
I've found mummified green peas under the refrigerator.
Thanks, cloven!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? - N/A

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? - Nope

Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ? - I don't.

Bonus:
- Everything or just about.

If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ?- I can't recall any delays.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ?
- N/A as I pretty much only drink water.

If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? - The only water that gives me that choice is Perrier and it doesn't matter.

Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? - I rarely use ice. If out (in the past since things have changed so much here) I always ask for a little ice and lemon for my water. Too much ice and I will return it. I have done so several times.

Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ? - I can't recall this happening to me but maybe a long time ago. I drop and I toss.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 07-20-2020, 04:24 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 9 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,307,556 times
Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? .............Not that I can recall.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? ............I’ve not ridden a jet ski. I do have pool floats and life vests left over from our boating days.

Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ? ........No

Bonus:
..............All of my online orders have tracking and shipping numbers. I like that feature.

If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ?-..................Most orders are right on time.

Just for Fun:
...............Yes, I often alter things to fit my personal tastes.

If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? ................I usually choose a plastic bottle because I can drink a bit and put the top back on the bottle.

Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? ...............I want lots of ice in all my drinks!

Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ?.............Once in awhile I’ll find some popcorn or a piece of candy underneath our recliners.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? No nothing needs to be done yet,but did years ago the driveway and painted garage and house door

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? No

Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ? I mist my house plants or I use it while ironing

Bonus:
Have you ordered something that had a tracking (of the shipped package) number ? My son orders for me and passes along the tracking number
If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ? It arrived either on time or maybe a day earlier

Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ? I read the instructions,but may alter the recipe
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? I usually bring my own drinking bottle while on a trip,but if I have no choice I buy what is available,preferable a glass bottle

Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? I do not like ice cubes in any of my drinks

Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ?
Usually some crumbs

Today in History:
1871: British Columbia enters the confederation of Canada, becoming its sixth province (or seventh, if territories are included)
1976: NASA’s Viking 1 lander separates from its orbiter spacecraft & reaches the surface of Mars

Today’s Word:
altricial /alˈtriSHəl/ (adj.): Zoological term for animal species whose young require an extended period of care, feeding and tending after hatching/birth, rather than being already able to survive on their own.

Today Is:
Moon Day

-this week is-
National Moth Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
“Even if what you’re working on doesn’t go anywhere, it will help you with the next thing you’re doing. Make yourself available for something to happen. Give it a shot.”

-Cormac McCarthy

Wishing all y’all a mid-month Monday where the projects on which you’re working get you somewhere
(and any mishaps or shortfalls are educational, for improving your future endeavors).
THANK YOU cloven

Old 07-20-2020, 07:00 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ?
No

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ?
No
Do you have a flotation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? Not currently. I had one when I fished. It was required for competitions.
Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ? Not filled with water. It's for my windshield so I can take photos through it. The bugs don't come off as easily with windshield wiper fluid.

Bonus:
All of them.
If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ? On time or earlier except for the early days of covid 19.

Just for Fun:
I don't measure anything but that's about it. Don't do recipes.
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? If it is going to be drunk later on, I much prefer cans. Canned drinks get cold the fastest and are colder than anything in a glass or plastic bottle.
Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? I drink soda, iced tea and water from the individual bottles/cans they come in. I drink juice, milk and lemonade from plastic 18oz cups with no ice cubes. If I purchase fast food drinks, I like ice but I don't have ice cubes in my home.
Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ? No, you would smell it before you see it has been my experience and that doesn't take long.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:14 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday!

Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? Not any more. We usually just hire someone now.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? No jet-ski for me. I did the inner tube thing when I was little. I am not much of a water person. Give me hiking, mountains...
Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? I do not.

Bonus:
Have you ordered something that had a tracking (of the shipped package) number ? Yes
If so, did it end up arriving at your home days or weeks earlier or later than you’d expected ? Normally the same day.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ? Yes
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? I would pick a bottle.
Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? I prefer my drinks room temperature.
Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ? oops, yes

Today Is:
Moon Day
-this week is-
National Moth Week ugh---I guess they must be good for something...

Today’s Picture:
Pretty maze!

Have a lovely day...

Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,931,547 times
* Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? === Bought new covers for my patio furniture cushions

* Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? === I haven't. I have life jackets for the canoe and kayak in my WI place.

* Do you have a spray bottle filled with water ? If so, what purpose/task do you use it for ? === I have a couple that I use to wet watercolor paper before I paint.

* Have you ordered something that had a tracking (of the shipped package) number ? === All my Amazon orders come with tracking. Some arrive when predicted and rarely, some are late.

* Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ?
=== Hot chocolate.

* If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? === It varies. I buy seltzer in cans and water in plastic bottles. I don't drink soda, so that's it.

* Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? === I don't add ice to any drinks but I prefer them right out of the fridge.

* Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ? === Not since my kids were at home.

Thanks so much cloven!

Old 07-20-2020, 08:34 AM

15,032 posts, read 8,347,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ?

Bonus:
More often it comes right on time, or earlier than expected.
Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ? a few
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ?
I usually opt for water or green tea, so usually it's a plastic (or sometimes a glass) bottle.

Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ?
I usually prefer no or very little ice.

I don't recall that happening, but it probably has at some point.
Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Moon Day

-this week is-
National Moth Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

-Cormac McCarthy

Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,068 posts, read 82,368,103 times
Today’s Question:
Have you done an outdoor/outside repair, of something that’s meant to be able to handle any kind of weather conditions ? Just this weekend sprayed the deck and one fence with a semi-transparent stain, using my new airless spray system.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever ridden on a jet-ski ? Do you have a floatation device (life preserver, pool noodle, inner tube, etc.) ? No
Yes, I use it for misting tiny seeds on a tray of soil, and some of my tropical plants.
Bonus:
Often, 2-3 times a week, and yes, sometimes will arrive earlier, rarely late.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food or drink product that comes with preparation instructions/directions, which you disregard/don’t follow because you’ve tailored how you make it based on personal experience/preference ? No.
If you buy a cold beverage, when you have the choice do you pick metal can or bottle (plastic or glass) ? Preferably glass, 2nd is plastic, cans last.
Which (cold) drinks do you like to add ice cubes to, and which ones do you *not* want ice added to ? No ice for beer or wine, everything else gets ice.
Have you ever found old food that had fallen behind/under a piece of heavy (rarely moved) furniture ? Yes, probably under the sofa cushions has the most.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics