Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,035 posts, read 82,286,952 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ? 2006, when I had a big hornet nest in a tree

Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ? Gas, was $2.25 when my wife filled up last week, $2.35 yesterday when I filled my truck.

Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ? I have a chainsaw and a chipper, and use them all the time with many trees.
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ? Two days ago (broom)

Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ? The 5 Blue Angels flying over my house last summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 08:47 AM

4,054 posts, read 2,928,379 times
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ? === A couple of months ago to kill hornets.

Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ? === Oranges.

Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ?
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ? === I had a landscape company take a big branch off one of my trees a few months ago. They chopped it up and put it in their trailer. I used a rake a week ago to rake leaves and a broom to get the remaining debris.

Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ? === I tried to record some happy birds singing in my yard a couple of weeks ago but really don't know how to do that on my phone.

Thanks cloven!

Old 06-22-2020, 10:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
[quote=cloven;58445821]Happy Monday June 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ?
Maybe at the beginning of spring to kill the ants along the foundation.
Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ?
All groceries.
Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ? We had one cut down at the rental not too long ago.
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ?
Last Wednesday before surgery. I weeded and raked all of the beds and fertilized too.
Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ?
I had this Chihuahua and I called him to come over. He stuck his tongue out at me and ran away. I wish I had that on video.
Today in History:
1944: The G.I. Bill (Servicemen’s Readjustment Act) is signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt
1948: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Todd Rundgren (Bang the Drum All Day)
1949: Birth of actress & singer Meryl Streep (Death Becomes Her)
1952: Birth of actor Graham Greene (The Red Green Show)
1953: Birth of singer-songwriter & actress Cyndi Lauper (Time After Time)
1956: Birth of actor & musician Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager)
1958: Birth of actor & author Bruce Campbell (Army of Darkness)
1964: Birth of actress Amy Brenneman (Heat)
1971: Birth of actress & comedian Mary Lynn Rajskub (The Larry Sanders Show)
1978: Discovery of Pluto’s moon Charon, by astronomer James W. Christy

Today’s Word:
chamfer /ˈ(t)SHamfər/: noun & verb. Similar to a bevel cut, creating a 45 degree angle between faces or sides that join at a right angle, to lessen the chance of damage to-or damage caused by-otherwise sharp corners.
For instance, the base of the Taj Mahal is an octagon shape, formed by a square with chamfered edges. Sidewalks may have chamfered edges at crosswalks to allow ease of access.

Today Is:
World Rainforest Day
National Chocolate Eclair Day
HVAC Technicians Day

-this week is-
National Pollinator Week
Carpenter Ant Awareness Week
National Mosquito Control Awareness Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“People can save the world by the way they think and by the way they behave and what they hold to be important.”

-Cyndi Lauper

Wishing all y’all a day with an optimal amount of humidity/moisture, neither deluge nor drought.

Thanks Cloven. I'm glad we're getting some rain. I helped John water a couple of days ago from the front porch and the back deck. No stairs until Friday. I'm ready for a walk. I can't wait until Friday.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:26 AM

24,685 posts, read 26,256,936 times
Today’s Question:
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ?
The yard is sprayed every 4 months for creepy crawlers.

Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ?
Meat

Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ?
Had the city take cut down a tree that was lifting the sidewalk and chip it. Smaller ones were trimmed, cut up and disposed of.

Broom last month, take years ago.

Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ?
Recently, the Goodyear blimp snowy passing thru town and a tribute flight of WWI planes to honor 1st responders.

Thanx Cloven, have a nice bug free week.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Today’s Question:
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ? Last Saturday.

Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ? Within the past 3 years groceries due to inflation have risen at least 40-50%.

Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ? A tree several years ago.
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ? About a week ago swept the patio.

Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ? Don't recall.

Gonna be warm today 110F.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:13 AM

37,862 posts, read 41,261,575 times
Today’s Question:
I had 2 cans of OFF! with me on my trip (plus a mosquito net for my head) but only had to use the spray 2 days against mosquitoes and flies because the temperatures went down to the 60s and it was windy as all get out most of the time I was there.

Extra Credit:
Yeah, meat.

Bonus:
No.
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ? More than 20 years ago.

Just for Fun:
Either you are a mind reader or you are just being mean. I already told my friends this story in e-mail on Friday so I'm just going to cut and paste it here:

I missed the best shot ever on the first day I was in Delaware and I hadn’t even set foot in the wildlife refuge yet. I arrived in Dover at about 12:30 in the afternoon and check-in wasn’t until 3:00P so I decided I’d go to the refuge even though I knew the afternoon is not the time to see birds. I normally drive down the road that takes me past Dover Air Force Base (where they bring in all of the soldiers’ bodies from overseas) to the rural scenic road that takes me to the refuge road. Every time I go to Delaware, military planes are flying fairly low across the road in front of me (I do have those pics from previous years) but this time, I pulled over and grabbed my camera which I had on the passenger seat. A plane was coming in and it made a turn and went right directly over my car. It was so close to my car that I saw the landing wheels come down and if I wasn’t so excited, I could tell you what was written on the undercarriage of the plane as I panned it from below with my camera. I don’t even get that close to the underside of birds. I would say it was only 2x higher than the telephone poles, that’s how low it was flying for its landing. (note: There is farmland surrounding the base.) So after it passed over, I just had to review the photos I took. Visions of photo contest awards danced in my head. People have plane/jet photos but I have never seen a photo of the undercarriage of a flying plane so close up.

Sooooo, guess who didn’t have any memory cards in her camera? I ALWAYS have memory cards in my camera and a newly charged battery. The sad thing was, I had even cleaned the image sensor just minutes before I was snapping away. I wanted to just sit there and cry.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times

Today’s Question:
About two weeks ago I had a number of wasps flying around some of the trees in the backyard so I got the can of hornet spray that I had to kill a few of them. Thankfully there is a number of birds in the area that come visit my yard and eat many of the little bugs that live there. Gotta hand it to birds being around.

Extra Credit:
Yes, meat & produce
Bonus:

Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper?
Last year I had two trees that came down in the wind one night so I had to get a guy to remove them. He had to use the chainsaw to finish up taking 'em down. I miss them and wish that hadn't happened.
Saturday morning

Just for Fun:
Yes. I'm always missing "that picture taking minute" while traveling. You can never be prepared for taking the special shot of kids or dogs, always too late.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 6 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,303,581 times
Happy Monday June 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
When is the last time you needed insect spray-whether for personal use to keep away bugs, or to protect property (attack invading bugs) ?................I used some insect spray on my front porch on Saturday. The wasps are taking over.

Extra Credit:
Have you noticed a specific product that’s gotten more pricey in recent months ?.......... Everything!

Bonus:
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ?................We had a big tree down in our yard last fall. Hubby used the chain saw and backhoe to remove it. I helped rake up the mess. I last used a broom Saturday event to sweep out our garage.

Just for Fun:
Can you recall a time you tried taking photo or video of an impossible to reproduce event/moment, but missed it somehow ?..........A few weeks ago an Eagle visited the pond in front of our house. My photo ended up of him being in flight rather than sitting on the edge of the water.

Today in History:
1944: The G.I. Bill (Servicemen’s Readjustment Act) is signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt
1948: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Todd Rundgren (Bang the Drum All Day)
1949: Birth of actress & singer Meryl Streep (Death Becomes Her)
1952: Birth of actor Graham Greene (The Red Green Show)
1953: Birth of singer-songwriter & actress Cyndi Lauper (Time After Time)
1956: Birth of actor & musician Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager)
1958: Birth of actor & author Bruce Campbell (Army of Darkness)
1964: Birth of actress Amy Brenneman (Heat)
1971: Birth of actress & comedian Mary Lynn Rajskub (The Larry Sanders Show)
1978: Discovery of Pluto’s moon Charon, by astronomer James W. Christy

Today’s Word:
chamfer /ˈ(t)SHamfər/: noun & verb. Similar to a bevel cut, creating a 45 degree angle between faces or sides that join at a right angle, to lessen the chance of damage to-or damage caused by-otherwise sharp corners.
For instance, the base of the Taj Mahal is an octagon shape, formed by a square with chamfered edges. Sidewalks may have chamfered edges at crosswalks to allow ease of access.

Today Is:
World Rainforest Day
National Chocolate Eclair Day
HVAC Technicians Day

-this week is-
National Pollinator Week
Carpenter Ant Awareness Week
National Mosquito Control Awareness Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“People can save the world by the way they think and by the way they behave and what they hold to be important.”

-Cyndi Lauper

Wishing all y’all a day with an optimal amount of humidity/moisture, neither deluge nor drought.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM

39,222 posts, read 23,199,902 times
Today’s Question:
Just this past weekend to ward off pesky mosquitoes.

Extra Credit:
At the grocery store, the price of beef has gone up substantially.

Bonus:
Have you (or someone else, on your behalf) had to chop down a tree, chainsaw it, rent a wood chipper ? Many years ago, I had a palm tree in my backyard removed.
When is the last time you used a rake or broom ? About a week ago.

Just for Fun:
Yes, when the huge boulder used in the Levitated Mass sculpture at the L.A. County Museum of Art was being transported and it was on the main thoroughfare next to my house. I was sorry I didn't have a good digital camera to use then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levitated_Mass

Have a great start to the new week!

Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,648,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
. . . Just for Fun:
Either you are a mind reader or you are just being mean. I already told my friends this story in e-mail on Friday so I'm just going to cut and paste it here:

I missed the best shot ever on the first day I was in Delaware and I hadn’t even set foot in the wildlife refuge yet. I arrived in Dover at about 12:30 in the afternoon and check-in wasn’t until 3:00P so I decided I’d go to the refuge even though I knew the afternoon is not the time to see birds. I normally drive down the road that takes me past Dover Air Force Base (where they bring in all of the soldiers’ bodies from overseas) to the rural scenic road that takes me to the refuge road. Every time I go to Delaware, military planes are flying fairly low across the road in front of me (I do have those pics from previous years) but this time, I pulled over and grabbed my camera which I had on the passenger seat. A plane was coming in and it made a turn and went right directly over my car. It was so close to my car that I saw the landing wheels come down and if I wasn’t so excited, I could tell you what was written on the undercarriage of the plane as I panned it from below with my camera. I don’t even get that close to the underside of birds. I would say it was only 2x higher than the telephone poles, that’s how low it was flying for its landing. (note: There is farmland surrounding the base.) So after it passed over, I just had to review the photos I took. Visions of photo contest awards danced in my head. People have plane/jet photos but I have never seen a photo of the undercarriage of a flying plane so close up.

Sooooo, guess who didn’t have any memory cards in her camera? I ALWAYS have memory cards in my camera and a newly charged battery. The sad thing was, I had even cleaned the image sensor just minutes before I was snapping away. I wanted to just sit there and cry.
Never mind. Now you have a story to tell about "The one that got away!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics