Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,422,263 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday February 24, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired ?
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ?

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ?
Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ?

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ?

Just for Fun:
Do you have an opinion about the recent entertainment trend of “posthumous hologram” tours,
“live” concerts featuring digital recreation of a famous dead performer/singer ?

LINK —> https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80832...mplicated-star

Today in History:
1854: Perforations added to the existing Penny Red postage stamp, the first officially distributed stamp with perforations
1931: Birth of actor & singer Dominic Chianese (The Sopranos)
1938: First nylon-bristle toothbrush, made by DuPont, becomes available to consumers
1945: Birth of actor & singer Barry Bostwick (George Washington, the tv miniseries-and its sequel)
1947: Birth of actor, director & activist Edward James Olmos (reboot of Battlestar Galactica tv series)
1950: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician George Thorogood (Bad to the Bone)
1951: Birth of actress Helen Shaver (The Color of Money)
1958: Birth of actor Mark Moses (Mad Men)
1974: Birth of actress & singer Bonnie Somerville (NYPD Blue)

Today’s Word:
forswear /fôrˈswer/ (vb.): Repudiate, swear off of. Withdraw (one’s consent, approval, belief, or participation) from.
Go back on one’s word (contradict one’s past statements/deeds), renege.

Today Is:
National Artist Day (Thailand)
Flag Day (Mexico)

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top middle-

Thought for the Day:
“Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away.”
-Tom Brokaw

Wishing all y’all a calm & quiet final Monday of the shortest month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 10:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times

Today’s Question:
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired ?
Yes/No .... I'm sure there are seamstresses around.
Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ? Probably.
Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ?

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ?
Fairly frequently these days.
Just for Fun:
Do you have an opinion about the recent entertainment trend of “posthumous hologram” tours,
“live” concerts featuring digital recreation of a famous dead performer/singer ?

Saw an Elvis one in Vagas a few years ago was pretty neat.
Today in History:
1854: Perforations added to the existing Penny Red postage stamp, the first officially distributed stamp with perforations
1938: First nylon-bristle toothbrush, made by DuPont, becomes available to consumers
1945: Birth of actor & singer Barry Bostwick (George Washington, the tv miniseries-and its sequel)
1947: Birth of actor, director & activist Edward James Olmos (reboot of Battlestar Galactica tv series)

Today’s Word:
forswear /fôrˈswer/ (vb.): Repudiate, swear off of. Withdraw (one’s consent, approval, belief, or participation) from.

Today Is:
Flag Day (Mexico)

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Tom Brokaw

Thanks Cloven!

Old 02-23-2020, 11:33 PM

37,862 posts, read 41,261,575 times
Today’s Question:
I have for a jacket. I just wore it open. A pocketbook, too. That I just threw out.
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? In Maryland, I took any clothing repair to the dry cleaner. In retirement, I wear cheap "play clothes." I'd just throw them out.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ?
Field mice (when it got cold) in NY and crickets (August) in NY. I also had birds fly in once, in NY. They had made a nest in the outdoor light (looked like the top of a lamppost). I lived on a golf course.

Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? I smell the coffee my neighbor, who shares a kitchen wall, makes.

Bonus:
I don't have any. When I was in a book discussion group, I used them to mark pages for discussion and reference.

Just for Fun:

My concert days are over (can't wait in lines or go up and down stairs) so I find it to be interesting but it has no impact on me so, no opinion.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:52 PM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Today’s Question:
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired?
Yes, I've had a few of those. The most recent one is a jacket with zip-off sleeves. I haven't been able to fix it, but the dry cleaners might be able to help.
Yes, there are several.
Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home?
There was a mouse in our house once, and a cricket made its home under our furnace in the garage.
Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home?
Only once that I can remember, when I was seven years old. Our house was on fire, and the smell of the smoke woke me up. I couldn't breathe. It was really scary. I cried out for my mother and we all got out safely, but the front bedroom was destroyed.
Bonus:
I use them fairly often, usually to flag something that needs attention.
Just for Fun:

Ugh. I think of it as exploiting the dead for profit.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 AM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired ? Yes a broken zipper..
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? Neighbor lady.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ? Not in the house but a pack rat in the garage one time and also a lizard..
Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? Once from a fire in the neighborhood, the smell came through the air conditioner.

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ? It's been along long time.

Just for Fun:
“live” concerts featuring digital recreation of a famous dead performer/singer ? No opinion, not into that stuff.

Another cool maze cloven

Old 02-24-2020, 12:50 AM

62,514 posts, read 88,597,252 times

Today’s Question:

Repaired by myself, but I also know how to replace it if needed.

Yes. Me. Not a tailor or seamstress, but a woman who knows how to sew...

Extra Credit:

No, only authorized critters are invited, the others don't dare to come. I don't have an attic, so there is no place to get homey.

When it's cooler, I sleep with open windows. It happened that I was awoken from sleep by the smell of a skunk walking nearby.

Bonus:

Quite often. I have some placed around my computer with things to do.

Just for Fun:

I saw circus Roncalli hologram show in Germany and it was an amazing experience.

<<< interesting!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Flag Day (Mexico)

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top middle-

A nice one, cloven!!

Thought for the Day:
“Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away.” <<<<< Yes! They don't seek fame.
-Tom Brokaw

Thank you, cloven!
Have a nice week, everyone!

Last edited by elnina; 02-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Video added

Old 02-24-2020, 01:44 AM

3,104 posts, read 1,713,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? Yes but never had any of them replaced. Although I do have one jacket that, if it happens, I will have a tailor fix it.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ? Just a cat that kept wondering through our garage into the unfinished basement of the house. It was not well and we always thought it hid in there to die.
Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? Yes.

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ? Often. Today, in fact. I used the small one to label different stacks of papers for taxes.

Just for Fun:

LINK —> https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80832...mplicated-star I know nothing about this but I don't think it would interest me.

[/color]
Thanks, Cloven.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,393,489 times
Today’s Question:
- No

Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? - Plenty. They are located in many dry cleaners.

Extra Credit:
- I've set traps for mice.

Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? - Once about 12 years ago a mouse landed in a trap I forgot about that was under a large chair. I often fell asleep in that chair and I was woken up by the smell.

Bonus:
- I use them.

Just for Fun:

Never heard the term before and I wasn't aware of this trend. Regarding this subject I never went to a performance like that and don't think it would interest me.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 02-24-2020, 03:51 AM

8,003 posts, read 5,454,126 times
Another a"mazing" Monday!

Today’s Question:
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired ? Yes and yes
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? I am an accomplished Seamstress, I only do my own stuff and immediate family.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ? Growing up, we lived in an old farm house for awhile. Somehow a bunch of bees made their home between the walls--we had an Expert from U of MD come out and take them away to a better place. We also had some bats in the attic It was a great old farmhouse.

Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? No

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ? I rarely use them.

Just for Fun:
No opinion, that is not my area of interest.

Today Is:
Flag Day (Mexico)

Today’s Picture:
Love the maze!

Thought for the Day:
-Tom Brokaw

^ It is going to be a perfect day for my day off--clear in the morning and forecast for a bit of rain. A rainy can be relaxing. Have a great day!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:06 AM

9,822 posts, read 14,407,458 times
Today’s Question:
Have you had a broken or missing zipper-if so, were you able to get it replaced or repaired ? No. That hasn't happened to me. If so, I'd throw the garment away.
Is there a tailor or seamstress (that you know of) in your locality ? Better than that, our daughter has a degree in fashion design, and is an expert in that field. I wouldn't bother her with such a thing.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever had an unauthorized/unwanted wild critter (squirrel, bat, rat, skunk, etc.) loose/stuck someplace inside your home ? We had a bat get down the chimney into our living area about 5 years ago. I chased it around the house, up and down the stairs, trapped him in the upstairs bathroom, and swatted him with a broom. He fell into the toilet.....Instantly, I closed the lid and flushed the toilet. (sewer lines didn't get stopped up, luckily). Husband was just out of the hospital with a hip replacement and couldn't get out of the recliner. Sometimes, I amaze myself.

Have you ever been awoken from sleep by a smell (whether pleasant or awful) in your home ? Nothing within the last couple of years, but there was a dead mouse in the basement at one time.

Bonus:
How often do you use, or how recently have you used “Post it” notes (tiny sticky pieces of paper) ? Every day, business related, lots of papers and fine print to tag.

Just for Fun:
Page not found, no opinion.
Thanks, Cloven

Last edited by rdlr; 02-24-2020 at 04:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics