Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:14 PM

37,861 posts, read 41,256,253 times

Advertisements

Are you right-handed or left-handed? I write right handed but do some other things left handed.

If you broke your dominant hand is there anything that you think you could still do well despite your condition? What? For all of you who think you could easily put on a pair of jeans or pantyhose or even underpants with just one hand, I'd like to see you do it the first time you try and my dominant hand/wrist wasn't even broken just hurt like heck plus I was in my early 30s at the time.

When you play cards, and it’s your turn to deal, do you:
a) Hold the deck in your left hand and deal with your right hand?
b) Hold the deck in your right hand and deal with your left hand?
This one. For some reason, I can't deal cards with my right hand. Feels unnatural. Can't vacuum with the right hand, either and when going up stairs have to hold onto left banister. That's the "fast lane" on the subway escalators. I think I made people in a hurry, nuts, when I worked in DC.

If someone looked at only your hands, what might they say about you? "You're too old to still be biting your fingernails."
Might they guess correctly about the kind of work you do or your hobby? Nope but they would never mistake me for a guitar player, a gardener, a carpenter or a car mechanic.

When you are not at work and you are introduced to someone, do you extend your hand to shake? yes. It's habit.
If you answered “No,” is it something you used to do but got out of the habit or did you never do it?

Right now, can you do the Star Trek Vulcan “Live long and prosper” salute with both your right and left hands? Yes.

Name a song you like by the musician known as Slowhand. (It can be when he was a solo singer or in a band). Did you know who has that nickname or did you have to look it up? Tie between "Wonderful Tonight" and the original "Layla" (not the acoustic one which I dislike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSz...t_radio=1&t=79

Where were you the last time you had your hand stamped? Approximately, how long ago was that?
Concert maybe 8 - 9 years ago.

Has your handwriting changed much over the years? Is it better or worse now than it was when you were in high school? It's not great but it's readable.

How many fingers do you use to type on a keyboard? 4 - Thumbs and pointers.

Name 1 – 5 songs, movies, books, short stories or TV shows with any of these words (singular or plural) in the title: hand, finger, thumb, palm, wrist, knuckle or arm.

1) The Beast with 5 Fingers (old movie)
2) Second Hand Rose (song) - Barbra Streisand (from Funny Girl)
3) Devil's Right Hand (song) - Waylon Jennings
4) Red Right Hand (song) - Nick Cave and The Seeds
5) Fingertips Pt 2 (song) - Little Stevie Wonder (he was 12 at the time but he was never little)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJF_ASvWYg

bjh, those sea otters are adorable. I did not know they sleep holding hands.

Last edited by LauraC; 01-18-2020 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 12:01 AM

44,468 posts, read 20,249,737 times
5 More useless facts you can throw out to impress friends and relatives: Bananas glow blue under UV lights. SWIMS is still SWIMS when turned upside down. Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest and lost. The electric chair was invented by a dentist. It's impossible to hum while pinching your nose (try it). A couple of these were new to me. Cool about SWIMS.

Are you right-handed or left-handed? Right-handed.

If you broke your dominant hand is there anything that you think you could still do well despite your condition? Yes. I'm somewhat ambidextrous. What? When I was a professional paperhanger decades ago, I was equally dexterous with both hands. A very handy skill for that sort of work. I shoot pool and sweep floors left-handed; no idea why. I find it very difficult, though. to write or to eat left-handed.

When you play cards, and it’s your turn to deal, do you:
a) Hold the deck in your left hand and deal with your right hand? << This one.
b) Hold the deck in your right hand and deal with your left hand?

If someone looked at only your hands, what might they say about you? That I'm old. They're getting pretty wrinkly. Might they guess correctly about the kind of work you do or your hobby? I doubt it.

When you are not at work and you are introduced to someone, do you extend your hand to shake? Yes. My parents taught me that it's important to give a firm handshake when being introduced to someone.
If you answered “No,” is it something you used to do but got out of the habit or did you never do it?

Right now, can you do the Star Trek Vulcan “Live long and prosper” salute with both your right and left hands? Yep.

Name a song you like by the musician known as Slowhand. (It can be when he was a solo singer or in a band). "Wonderful Tonight" Did you know who has that nickname or did you have to look it up? Had to look it up. I had no idea E.C. was known as Slowhand. I love his music, but never heard of that nickname.

Where were you the last time you had your hand stamped? A beer fest. Approximately, how long ago was that? About 4 years ago. I've been to similar festivals since then, but they used bracelets instead of stamps.

Has your handwriting changed much over the years? Yes. Is it better or worse now than it was when you were in high school? My cursive was never very pretty, but it's much worse now because I have arthritis in my hands. My printing is still pretty good.

How many fingers do you use to type on a keyboard? 8 fingers plus 2 thumbs.

Name 1 – 5 songs, movies, books, short stories or TV shows with any of these words (singular or plural) in the title: hand, finger, thumb, palm, wrist, knuckle or arm.

1) Goldfinger - James Bond movie and theme song from the same
2) Two Fingers - Jethro Tull
3) Slow Hand - Pointer Sisters
4) ?
5) ?

JUST SAYIN'

Some people think an itchy left palm means money is coming your way and an itchy right palm means you're about to lose money. Some people called doctors have an entirely different opinion. Have your palms ever itched? Yep. Many times.

No photos of hands but if you have any, feel free to post one. This is a photo of a Little Blue Heron taken by me on Assateague Island, Maryland. A stunning photo!

Thanks for the fun questions, LauraC.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics