Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 08:37 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 29, 2019. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born this date include U.S. President Andrew Johnson, inventor and entrepreneur Charles Goodyear, British statesman and four-term Prime Minister William E. Gladstone; first black U.S. cabinet member (under L.B.J.) Robert E. Weaver; actresses Mary Tyler Moore, Patricia Clarkson and Viveca Lindfors; actors Jon Voight, Ted Danson and Jude Law; Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley and comedian Paula Poundstone.

Today’s Questions:
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen?

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it?

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you!

When you arrive home and put on your favorite comfy outfit – you know, the clothes you reach for when you want to kick back and put your feet up - what will you be wearing:

On top?

On the bottom?

On your feet?

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews?

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed?

Name a movie you could see again and again

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough.

Today in History
1170 - Thomas Becket, the archbishop of Canterbury, is murdered in Canterbury Cathedral by four knights of Henry II.
1607 - Indian chief Powhatan spares John Smith's life after the pleas of his daughter Pocahontas.
1778 - After attempting a new strategy to defeat the colonials in America, British troops capture Savannah, Georgia.
1845 - Texas (comprised of present-day Texas and part of New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming) is admitted as the 28th state of the Union, with the provision that the area (389,166 square miles) should be divided into no more than five states "of convenient size."
1862 - Union General William T. Sherman's troops try to gain the north side of Vicksburg in the Battle of Chickasaw Bluffs.
1890 - The last major conflict of the Indian Wars takes place at Wounded Knee Creek in South Dakota after Colonel James W. Forsyth of the 7th Cavalry tries to disarm Chief Big Foot and his followers.
1891 - Edison patients "transmission of signals electrically" (radio).

1914 - The production of Belgian newspapers is halted to protest German censorship.
1921 - Sears Roebuck president Julius Rosenwald pledges $20 million of his personal fortune to help Sears through hard times.
1926 - Germany and Italy sign an arbitration treaty.
1934 - Japan formally denounces Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, which curbed the international arms race by limiting naval construction between the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Italy, and Japan.
1940 - In a radio interview, President Roosevelt proclaims the United States to be the "arsenal of democracy."
1940 - London suffers its most devastating air raid when Germans firebomb the city on the evening of December 29.
1948 - Josip "Tito" Broz declares Yugoslavia will follow its own path to communism.
1956 - President Dwight Eisenhower asks Congress for the authority to oppose Soviet aggression in the Middle East.
1965 - A Christmas truce is observed in Vietnam, while President Johnson tries to get the North Vietnamese to the bargaining table.
1981- President Ronald Reagan curtails Soviet trade in reprisal for its harsh policies on Poland.
1982 - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant ends his career at Alabama with 323 wins.
2010 - In Beijing, the minimum wage is raised by 20%, the second raise in six months.

2012 - The Constitutional Council of France votes down a plan to impose a 75% marginal income tax on the wealthy as unconstitutional and unfair.

Word of the Day:
opprobriumnoun
op•pro•bri•um ə-prōbrē-əm
1. Disgrace arising from exceedingly shameful conduct; ignominy
2. Scornful reproach or contempt.
3. A cause of shame or disgrace.

“The name was a by-word for shame and opprobrium throughout the city.”

Today’s Quote:
“Nothing that is morally wrong can be politically right.”
- William E. Gladstone (1809-1898)

Today Is:
Fifth Day of Christmas (Western Christianity)
Fourth day of Kwanzaa
Pepper Pot Day
YMCA Day (the organization, not the song)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 10:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Today’s Questions:
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen? Winning the big $$ lottery.

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? Some serious health issues within the family.

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you! Me, people can't believe how old I am, say I look 30 years younger.

When you arrive home and put on your favorite comfy outfit – you know, the clothes you reach for when you want to kick back and put your feet up - what will you be wearing:

On top? Tee shirt

On the bottom? Levis

On your feet? Flip flops

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected. A local mom & pop café that gave me some gift certificates for our being loyal customers over the years.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Sometimes, depends on product..
Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? Yes several times.

Do you post online reviews? Sometimes.
What types of products or services have you reviewed? Customer service reviews.

Name a movie you could see again and again. Shane.

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. Fargo.

Thanks Bay...

Old 12-28-2019, 10:49 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Today’s Questions:
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen?
Thought I would need surgery for possible cancer. After hospital overnight - No cancer. No pre-cancer per surgeon.

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? How horrible I did in one of my 2 annual photography salons.

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you! Can't think of anyone especially if they wear a ton of make-up.

On top? On the bottom? I always dress comfortably since retired.

On your feet? Nothing. I'm always barefoot at home.

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected. My car dealer who also services my car - Earl Duff Subaru - is the best.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? I read reviews for product information not whether someone liked it or not. If the sellers provided more detail, I wouldn't have to read the reviews to find out what I need to know. Example: I changed my mind about a certain product after reading a review because I found out it wasn't suitable for someone under 5'4".

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed? I rarely do but I did do one for my Hott CD player, recently. Also plugged my headphones in the same review.

Name a movie you could see again and again. Sweet Home Alabama

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. The House of Sand and Fog. At first, I wasn't sure I liked it. I was never so angry at a character in a movie as I was of Jennifer Connelly's irresponsible character. Everything bad that happened was because she was so seriously irresponsible and I'm not 100 percent sure the director was even going for that. But, I really despised her (not the actress but the character). Then I got to thinking if the movie made me that angry, it must have been a good movie to evoke that kind of response. But, I never want to watch it again.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2019, 10:55 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Today’s Questions:

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? - Moving back to Baltimore and the company I work for transferring me here. Both major shocks.
I like it here...

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you!

On top? - T-shirt

On the bottom? - Jockey boxers

On your feet? - socks

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected. - Nice food spread by INOVA when I gave a blood donation on December 24.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? - Yes

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed? - Never have.

Name a movie you could see again and again - None

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. - I've seen so few movies in my life...

Thanks, Bay!

Old 12-29-2019, 03:31 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 29, 2019. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born this date include U.S. President Andrew Johnson, inventor and entrepreneur Charles Goodyear, British statesman and four-term Prime Minister William E. Gladstone; first black U.S. cabinet member (under L.B.J.) Robert E. Weaver; actresses Mary Tyler Moore, Patricia Clarkson and Viveca Lindfors; actors Jon Voight, Ted Danson and Jude Law; Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley and comedian Paula Poundstone.

Today’s Questions:
I thought that I might lose more weight, maybe better luck next year

The loss of a dear friend and loss of my Father 4 days before Christmas

Well it ain't me - without naming names, there are a few people from high school who look better as they have aged.

[
On top?
t-shirt

On the bottom?
sweat pants

On your feet?
barefoot or slippers

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected.
The last cable guy who was here was extremely thorough and explained everything to me, even though most of it went over my head. He was out there fixing it for over two hours, he was courteous and pleasant, and that never happens with cable technicians.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews?
yes and yes

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed?
I need to get better at this, I forget to go back and write a review.

Name a movie you could see again and again
Fried Green Tomatoes, Forrest Gump, Terminator and several more

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Thanks Bay!

Last edited by Northsouth; 12-29-2019 at 03:52 AM..

Old 12-29-2019, 07:16 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
Today’s Questions:
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen? that my 19 year old TV would break and it didn’t.

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? family illnesses.

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you! I can’t think of anyone.

On top? sweatshirt

On the bottom? fleece pajama pants,

On your feet? thick socks

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected. Amazon

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews?. Yes and yes.

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed? i used to buy a lot of books from Half.com. I would post reviews for how fast I received the book.

Name a movie you could see again and again Forrest Gump.

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. Little Women.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:31 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen? Lose that extra six months that I put on last December

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? My husband's best friend from birth lost his fight with cancer.

When you arrive home and put on your favorite comfy outfit – you know, the clothes you reach for when you want to kick back and put your feet up - what will you be wearing: More comfortable dress than my work dress

On your feet? Slippers (I don't wear my outside shoes inside ever...)

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? Yes and Yes

Do you post online reviews? What types of products or services have you reviewed? Yes--I post regularly on Trip Advisor for restaurants, hotels, experiences. I post on airbnb after my stay.

Name a movie you could see again and again None, once is enough for me for any movie.

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. Just saw Uncut Gems last night. What an emotionally exhausting film! I can see Adam Sandler getting an Oscar nomination.

Today in History
Thanks for the History Lesson Bay!

Today’s Quote:
“Nothing that is morally wrong can be politically right.”
- William E. Gladstone (1809-1898)
Isn't that the truth (like putting kids in cases )

Today Is:
Fifth Day of Christmas (Western Christianity)
Fourth day of Kwanzaa
Pepper Pot Day
YMCA Day (the organization, not the song)<---what? I was ready to sing the song!

Happy Sunday!

Old 12-29-2019, 07:53 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Today’s Questions:
I definitely thought we would have moved to our new chosen town in 2019.

What happened this year that surprised you because you didn’t expect it?
Out of town guests that we have not seen in years.

Haha! No, it is not me. My best years are behind me. I will say my son even though I have always thought he looks good no matter his age.

On top? Pajamas and a sweater. In winter pajamas are flannel.
On the bottom? Pajamas, also flannel.
On your feet? Soft, warm socks.

Pretty much everywhere we do business does that where we live.

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Sometimes Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? Yes

Do you post online reviews? Occasionally What types of products or services have you reviewed? Cleaning gear; restaurant; hotel

Name a movie you could see again and again.
French Kiss (1995)

Shall We Dance (2004)

Thank you Bay! Wishing everyone a good rest of 2019 and to be safe out there!

Last edited by geebabe; 12-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: forgot one

Old 12-29-2019, 08:17 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,400 times
Looking back on 2019, what was something that you thought would happen that didn’t happen? Political..... and maybe more of a hope than an expectation

What happened this year that surprised you because didn’t expect it? Again, political

Some people’s looks seem to improve as they age. Name someone you know who is better-looking now than when they were young – even if it’s you! This next June will be my 50th class reunion. Some people have aged well, some not so well.

On top? A big comfy shirt, usually a man’s button down shirt

On the bottom? PJ pants

On your feet? Barefoot in the summer, slippers in the winter

Name a business or service provider that went above and beyond to give you more than you expected. The guy I bought my last car from. He’s a friend of my SIL & happened to be dating my older daughter at the time, so.....

Do you read the reviews before buying online? Do.
Have you ever wanted to buy something but then changed your mind after reading the reviews? Have, or at least changed my mind about the company I bought from

Do you post online reviews? Don’t

Name a movie you could see again and again. Can’t think of any I’d watch again & again.

Name a movie that you saw once and liked, but once was enough. Watching any movie once is enough for me.

Word of the day is new to me, thanks, Bay!

Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
Today’s Questions:

~Relocation to the California or Nevada desert.

~My fiance receiving an on-the-job injury.

~My niece.

On top? An old shirt.

On the bottom? Pajamas.

On your feet? Slip ons.

~My bank.

~Often. I wanted to try an anti aging product but changed my mind after reading the online reviews.

~Yes, I do. I've reviewed items bought on Amazon as well as businesses in my local area.

Name a movie you could see again and again.

~The Shining, but only once around Halloween.

~Saving Private Ryan. War movies generally aren't my go-to.

Have a superb Sunday, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics