Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,941,566 times

Advertisements

If you want to make a statement to the oil industry ~ buy their gas and nothing else. Don’t get cigarettes, coffee, soft drinks, etc from inside their stores, buy nothing but gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,882,749 times
While in NJ a few weeks ago I was using my daughter's Suburban and she left me 1/4 tank. So I went and put in $30 worth-that only brought me to just below a half and it was then $2.68/gal.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,799,722 times
Trains, anyone?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM

979 posts, read 3,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I'm surprised the the trucking industry hasn't stepped in on the rising cost of fuel...

As ILNC has stated..everything else also rises, eggs have almost doubled in a year !!!!!!

"Do to the state of the economy....the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off".....
My school cafeteria has now raised their prices because of gas prices... so they say. All salads are $9-$10. Sandwiches are $7-$9. Soup is $4. And the list goes on and on. Not to mention I'm about to call the health dept. on them. I'm appalled. Most of the time I just starve until the end of my day. This last semester I had a full day of class every mon. from 8 am- 10pm and I would get by on a bag of chips and an energy drink. I need to buy one of those lunchboxes that keep things cool all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If you want to make a statement to the oil industry ~ buy their gas and nothing else. Don’t get cigarettes, coffee, soft drinks, etc from inside their stores, buy nothing but gas.
How could that help? I would think they make most of their profits off the gas they sell rather than the foodmart inside??

Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,025,583 times
Thank God I work from home!! I at least save on not having a daily commute.

One thing I don't understand... before the craziness of gas prices started getting out of control, diesel always seemed to be cheaper. I've noticed that for the past year or so, diesel prices have been WAY higher than regular. Here in Tucson, I saw diesel for $3.96, while regular is $3.15. I thought that diesel was cheaper to produce, so it doesn't really make sense to me.

I've also noticed that my grocery bill has nearly doubled over the past two years. It's just me and my husband, and we haven't changed our eating habits, so the only thing I can chalk it up to is that we're feeling the effects of the gas prices in other areas now.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,441,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie07 View Post
I received an email from a friend yesterday that suggested that if everybody was to stop purchasing their gas from Exxon, Shell, and Citco that we could make the prices come down. I don't know that I believe that it would work, but might be worth a try. I think the email said if everybody did it, it could push gas prices down to close to 2.00 a gallon. If I can find the article I will post it later.
I've gotten that email several times in the few months, I wonder if it would work too........any thoughts from anyone on this?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post

How could that help? I would think they make most of their profits off the gas they sell rather than the foodmart inside??
My understanding is that they only make a few cents on a gal of gas, however their bigger profit comes from the sale of other items inside their store, beer, cigarettes, candy, soft drinks, etc. all add up to a much larger profit then what is pumped.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,441,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My understanding is that they only make a few cents on a gal of gas, however their bigger profit comes from the sale of other items inside their store, beer, cigarettes, candy, soft drinks, etc. all add up to a much larger profit then what is pumped.
Now that you mention it I have heard that. And those things are always a lot more expensive at gas stations.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Now that you mention it I have heard that. And those things are always a lot more expensive at gas stations.
You’re right ILNC ,,,, so why buy items inside their store? You have to buy their gas but you do have a choice on where you buy other items.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,094,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie07 View Post
I just paid 3.15 this morning for gas. When I first brought my car it took about 16.00 to fill it up, now it takes 30.00 to fill up if I'm on a quarter of a tank.

I received an email from a friend yesterday that suggested that if everybody was to stop purchasing their gas from Exxon, Shell, and Citco that we could make the prices come down. I don't know that I believe that it would work, but might be worth a try. I think the email said if everybody did it, it could push gas prices down to close to 2.00 a gallon. If I can find the article I will post it later.
If (and I mean If) you can get a couple of million people to stop buying gas from Exxon/mobile period ( not just a day or two ). This would have a great impact IMHO....
I have stopped buying gas from both of them several months ago.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics