Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

5,934 posts, read 3,869,021 times

Advertisements

[quote=rainroosty;49875238]~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:
Do-Do birds are extinct probably because of humans or humans not doing enough to preserve their existence.

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago?
Well it's actually an insect but when I was a kid we had so many lightning bugs that they could light up the whole yard. Now you're lucky if you see one or two on occasion.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'?
One is a plant, one is a weed

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be:
Deer, rabbits, birds - pretty much anything that is hunted and killed

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural?
They look good if everything else around them is manicured too and with certain types of houses

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away?
No I actually haven't seen anyone doing that yet, our colors are late this year if they even change at all - dry summer

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life?
I don't know of any place in particular around here but I'm sure there are plenty

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.?
bird watch and nature walks except for the swamp

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. ***

~Thanks Roosty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM

31,032 posts, read 16,595,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:
oh, so many. wish I'd been around to see a dodo.

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago?

pheasants-I miss them. and I didn't see any efts this year.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'?

a weed is any plant growing where it's not wanted.

coyotes.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural?
my preference would be natural but both have their place.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away?
no but I've seen garbage bags full of them. what a waste.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life?

not wildlife habitat specifically but a lot of people do it to their own land. It's their land; they're entitled. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.?
hike, take photos, listen, count leaves, notice animal tracks, pick up trash others have left.

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. ***

~
thanks, roosty. yea, peoples apathy gets to me sometimes too.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM

24,734 posts, read 26,333,683 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:
Vaquitas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaquita

Frogs, only because I moved.

Some weeds are very invasive.

Bears for their gallbladders.

I like them squared off.

Nope, not many leaves here.

I have seen reports of it in Death Valley.

Explore

Thanx Roosty, hope you BP is ok.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,626,704 times
Afternoon all!

Whooping Crane, due to hunting and loss of habitat.

I think it's called Spiderwort, but we called it "snot weed." When you broke the stem, mucous came out. It had a pretty blue flower. I haven't seen it in years, although I'm sure it's still around.

I think it's just the difference between whether you actually want it or not.

Anything hunted and killed for pure trophy, not using the meat, skin, or bones.

I can appreciate either.

Sure. Some places pick them up, some places allow you to burn them.

I have not heard of that recently in my area.

Hiking, photography, and my favorite, bird watching!

Same to you rainroosty. Thanx for the Qs.
Have a good and safe weekend everyone!

Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM

21,777 posts, read 8,922,579 times
Abalone

I haven't seen any white-crowned sparrows in my neighborhood for years. They used to be pretty common, and I loved their distinctive call. I read somewhere that feral cats decimated the population.

The only differences are in the plant's perceived usefulness, attractiveness and difficulty of cultivation.

Whales, seals, lions, tigers, rhinoceros.

I don't have a strong opinion on this so long as the hedges are properly maintained.

No, because we don't get "all those beautiful, colorful leaves" where I live. It's mostly eucalyptus, cedar, pine or juniper trees.

No but I've heard of places like that, and it sounds terrible.

Enjoy the peace and quiet. Maybe take some photos.

I don't blame you. We humans are the most dangerous and destructive species of them all.

Thanks, Roosty

Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,540,940 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: If you mean officially, the Federal list of protected species has changed somewhat since I was involved with it but I'll mention one of the more charismatic and controversial species, the gray wolf (Canis lupus).

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? I used to see the large Plieated woodpeckers, and possibly even the ivory-billed woodpeckers, as a bare-foot farm kid in deep east Texas. I've not seen anything like them in many years.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? A weed is any plant in an area where it is not desired so roses could be a weed.

Or weed is something Willie smokes.

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: Any animal, or plant, that is poached should not be.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? The squared ones work well in a maze.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? No. No one around here rakes leaves.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? Sure. Wildlife lives everywhere so anytime you see a hill, pasture or field torn up by 4-wheelers, new housing development, farming, ranching or most other human development in native areas you see wildlife habitat being disrupted.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Camping, hiking, photography, canoeing, boating, water and/or snow skiing and hunting and fishing if it is permitted.

Intriguing questions RR.

Here's wishing everyone a safe and a great weekend.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 PM

15,079 posts, read 8,412,039 times
Quote:
There are so many, I mean where to begin? lots of Species of birds, tigers, Bees, Elephants...I could go on forever.

It's really rare to see an Eagle any more. Or Wolves. Or Bears. I use to see wild rabbits everywhere,
but haven't seen any in awhile.

Well.....not much really, except the one is deliberately cultivated and the other one usually isn't.
Go figure though....some of the weeds seem to be just as beautiful to me though.

Elephants.
And Of course anything endangered, or living in a wildlife refuge.
I don't like it when animals are hunted and killed for things like their Ivory Horns or their fur.
I don't like it when people hunt just for sport.
Humans can be pretty cruel and thoughtless sometimes.

I think the more natural look is the most beautiful.

I have seen a few people doing it, but we live out a bit from the city, so most people here don't rake them up at all(when they do, they usually recycle them into mulch...the city has a program that does that...of course you can do that yourself though too.)

I can't think of any right off hand, but I am sure there are.

Take a walk and soak up the beauty of nature! Hike, bird watch, have a seat and loose yourself in the
moment and have a little commune with the glory of nature - in all it's beauty, tranquility and serenity, and of course break out that camera and snap a few photo's! Remember real men shoot animals with the camera - not
a gun!

Round Up is some really nasty stuff, and yet it still exists despite all the studies and evidence
to show how poisonous and toxic it is to human life...and all life.

Great Questions! Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 PM

62,775 posts, read 89,002,889 times

You think I am THAT old???

You can't smoke flowering plants. Oh wait. Weed has flowers too...

All of them!!

Natural, of course. Except when they are meant to be a sculpted hedges in a park.
Spoiler

They are beautiful in forests, but people don't like them in their backyards...

I am sure they exists. Some people are very selfish and careless.

I try not to destroy anything, just admire the look ...

~

I feel your pain!

Thank you, roosty! You care!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:07 PM
bjh

60,622 posts, read 30,730,255 times
Mammoth, would be really cool if they had survived. The birds called dodos. Whales and
other cetaceans and just about every fish in the sea.

Not so much as used to see, but don't see as many bees and butterflies and toads.

A weed would exclude all other plants from living if left unchecked. It's the pig of the patch.

Seals, whales, dolphins, porpoises, coyotes which keep the rodent population in check, and
many, many more. Killing these animals is sheer flipping ignorance.

Depends on their use. Formal gardens, square looks best. Each has its place.

Yep. But the mulching mower chops them to bits eventually and feeds teh lawn.

Have known of and seen from the roadway many off roading trails.

Take pictures, get exercise walking around and exploring.

Many is the time I've weeded by hand then supported the grass and had a healthier lawn
than neighbors who poisoned their yards. My grass will be lush and green. Theirs will be pale and sparse.

Last edited by bjh; 10-20-2017 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-21-2017, 09:44 AM

797 posts, read 244,697 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: Black Rhino

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? Woolly Mammoth (just before my time)

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? Typically, plants are attractive, whereas weeds are detractive

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: Elephants

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? Definitely sheared and squared. I prefer a manicured look

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? LOL! Yes, me, though this year it's been decided we will leave the colourful ground-cover as is until spring

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? Not so much anymore thanks to stricter restrictions and policies

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Have a drink of the fresh running water, take in the pure mountain/forest air, listen to the birds sing, and enjoy the time away from the hustle/bustle of society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics