Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:51 AM

7,445 posts, read 5,549,646 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday August 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? Education. I didn't realize at the time in other countries that education was a privilege.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? The technology we now have.

Extra Credit:
If you use a vacuum cleaner, do you generally use the same single brush attachment,
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? I usually just vacuum and rarely use the other tools.

Bonus:
This question is based on living in northern hemisphere…
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? Yes, it's common although we didn't hit 90 too often this summer.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? Yes
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? Some did, some didn't, you'd have to guess if it didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 6 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,305,140 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ?............I thought all families had the same values as ours. I grew up with awesome parents who taught me to be humble about my successes and to always treat others how I would want to be treated.

What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ?..............Modern conveniences.

Extra Credit:
If you use a vacuum cleaner, do you generally use the same single brush attachment,
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ?...............I usually vacuum carpets and the use the hose with a brush attachment to do the kitchen floors.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ?...........Yes, 90 plus degrees is normal here. It got hotter in July and the heat damaged crops in our area. Hot and dry isn't a good combination in farming.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? ................Yes
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ?........Yes

Today in History:
1845: The magazine Scientific American is first published
1898: The beverage known as Brad’s Drink (after Caleb Bradham, who invented it in 1893) is renamed Pespi-Cola
1937: Toyota (Motor Company) is spun off from Toyoda Automatic Loom Works as a separate business/brand
1956: Birth of actor Luiz Guzman (Magnolia, Code Black)
1962: Birth of director David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, The Social Network)
1969: Birth of actor, musician & songwriter Jack Black (Tenacious D)

Today’s Word:
cairn /kern/ (n.): Pile of stones intentionally placed, to mark a spot-often on a prominent outcropping, such as a hilltop.
More specifically, can signify a historic burial place.

Today Is:
Grandparents’ Day (Mexico)
National Bow Tie Day......................,..My first thought was Ducky on NCIS.
Radio Commercials Day

-this week is-
World Water Week..................Stay safe Texans.
Happily Married Husband and Wife Week................

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“Auditions are like playing the lottery, except you have to explain why you picked your numbers
and why you thought they were good numbers before they tell you that you didn’t win anything.”

-W. Kamau Bell

Wishing everybuggy a cool crisp night and a bright clear morning

Old 08-28-2017, 08:10 AM

4,054 posts, read 2,929,800 times
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now? --- Freedom, personal safety.

What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up? --- That I live in the U.S.

or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas? --- Mostly the same attachment.

Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer? Is that common or unusual ? --- We have MONTHS when the temp is over 90. If it was JUST 90, we'd say, "kinda cool today".

Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment)? --- I have.
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate? --- It did.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

39,225 posts, read 23,219,289 times
Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? That the price of gas would always be below $1.00 a gallon.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? That the human body ages, sometimes not so gracefully.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? I mostly use the same attachment for the same area that needs cleaning.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? It has and surprisingly, it happened rather early in the year. We're supposed to be in the 90s all week this week.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? Yes.
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? Yes.

Have a great start to the new week!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,035,938 times
Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? I thought all the kids had wonderful loving parents like I did. I never knew how difficult it was for many of those in my school.

What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? That most people have common sense about important issues in the country. And how many people think they are "above the law"!.............

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? We have different attachments that are always used.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? 90 degrees would be the low temp during the evening/night time. Most of the days in the summer are 110-115 easily. But it's a dry heat....................

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? It's been a long time since I had a box like that.If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? Years ago when we had them I used the chart. I buy chocolates today at See's Candy store near the house. You don't know what good chocolates are till you've had See's. Never have them marked as they're all good.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,852,687 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ?
I took my family for granted, especially my Mother. But I had severe issues going on within myself and it's really taken all these years to realize how precious good family is
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ?
I don't mean to take things for granted but it's mostly technology that I take for granted now. I grew up without microwaves, dishwashers, cell phones and so many other gadgets that we have now that we take for granted.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ?
I switch to different tools for different jobs, another thing we take for granted -
vacuum cleaners

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ?
Oh yes we made it to almost 100 on more than one occasion. It is normal for us because we're in the South. You know you're in the South when you run the air conditioning and heat all in the same day during the so-called winter.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ?
Yes many times. The last box I received I bought for myself
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ?
Yes it's usually two layers and has a chart if you spring for the more desirable expensive chocolates

Today in History:
1898: The beverage known as Brad’s Drink (after Caleb Bradham, who invented it in 1893) is renamed Pespi-Cola
1937: Toyota (Motor Company) is spun off from Toyoda Automatic Loom Works as a separate business/brand

Today’s Word:
cairn /kern/ (n.): Pile of stones intentionally placed, to mark a spot-often on a prominent outcropping, such as a hilltop.

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day

-this week is-
World Water Week
Happily Married Husband and Wife Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
“Auditions are like playing the lottery, except you have to explain why you picked your numbers
and why you thought they were good numbers before they tell you that you didn’t win anything.”

-W. Kamau Bell

Thanks Cloven! We're getting a little break in the weather, lower 80's for a few days and then the heat is back on.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 AM

7,371 posts, read 2,768,889 times
Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? That Mom and Dad would always be here. Dad passed away 23 years ago. Mom is now 83.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? Technology

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? I use the carpet brush and crevice tool.

Bonus: This question is based on living in northern hemisphere…
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? Many, many times since late April. That includes several weeks of triple digit temps. And, yes, it is quite normal.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ?
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ?
Some did.

Thanks cloven, for the questions and the maze. Happy Monday to all. My heart goes out to all those in Texas affected by Harvey.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM

24,685 posts, read 26,266,318 times
Today’s Question:
Dogs were boys and cats were girls.

Launching rockets into space with people living there.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ?
The only vacuum that we swap tools on is a small portable hand help one for small cleanup jobs.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ?
Pretty normal, today is going to be 108F and triple digits the rest of the week.

Just for Fun:
We have.

Some of them did.

Today’s Word:
Have found several cairns in the desert generally around a way point or a mine. Found one with a old tobacco can in it by a mine with a cryptic note that we were being watched.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:51 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,044,956 times
Today’s Question:
Dinner would be waiting for me when I got home

That it was up to me what was for dinner

Extra Credit:
I just push it around for a while and call it good.

Bonus:
We usually get several days over 90. Suppose to hit 100 today.

Just for Fun:
No one has ever sent me one. Have helped my mom sample a few. Usually hit or miss

Old 08-28-2017, 04:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 3,694,605 times
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? I took my parents for granted.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? How much like my deceased mother I am.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? no

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? Texas, very common. I LOVE IT.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? Yes

If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? look at the chart

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day [/b][/color]
-this week is-
World Water Week
Happily Married Husband and Wife Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

-W. Kamau Bell

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics