Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:36 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,895,838 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bayarea4;49325182]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 27, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson; singer-actress Martha Raye; actresses Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach and Diana Scarwid; comedian Pee Wee Herman; musician Daryl Dragon and fashion designer Tom Ford.

Today’s Questions are an edited version of Vanity Fair magazine's monthly celebrity feature, the Proust Questionnaire:

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
When we've had a really fun day, the house is clean, there's a blizzard outside, and I'm warm and toasty on the couch watching a good movie with my boys and John.
What is your greatest fear?
Cancer.
What historical figure do you most identify with?

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My impatience.
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Dishonesty.
What is your greatest extravagance?
The shorties and my pets.
What is your favorite journey?
Having a perfect run skiing.
What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Patience
On what occasion do you lie?
I'm honest and sometimes it's brutally honest.
What do you dislike most about your appearance?
My belly.
What words or phrases do you most overuse?
Like this or like that and like.
What or who is the greatest love of your life?
John
When and where were you happiest?
Probably my 40's but right now is pretty good too.
Which talent would you most like to have?
I'd love to be psychic and pick the winning lottery numbers.
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
This sugar addiction.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Early retirement
What is your most treasured possession?
My wedding ring and the wedding ring of someone who should have been my mother.
What is your most marked characteristic?
My natural platinum blonde hair. I get so many compliments on it.
What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery?
Right now Lipitor and dealing with this super bug for over ten years.
What is the quality you most like in a man?
Intelligence.
What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Intelligence.
What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty.
Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Superman.
Who is your favorite villain of fiction?
Scrooge.
Who are your heroes in real life?
Adam Schiff, and Robert Mueller.
Today in History
- The books of John Milton are burned in London due to his attacks on King Charles II.
1789 - The Declaration of the Rights of Man is adopted by the French National Assembly.
1828 - Uruguay is formally proclaimed to be independent during preliminary talks between Brazil and Argentina.
1858 - The first cabled news dispatch is sent and is published by "The New York Sun" newspaper. The story is about the peace demands of England and France being met by China.
1859 - The first oil well is successfully drilled in the U.S. by Colonel Edwin L. Drake near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
1889 - Charles G. Conn receives a patent for the metal clarinet.
1889 - Boxer Jack Dempsey is defeated for the first time of his career by George LaBlanche.
1892 - The original Metropolitan Opera House in New York is seriously damaged by fire.
1894 - The Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act is passed by the
U. S. Congress. The provision within for a graduated income tax is later struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
1921 - The owner of Acme Packing Company buys a pro football team for Green Bay,
Wisconsin. J.E. Clair pays tribute to those who worked in his plant by naming the team the Green Bay Packers.
1928 - The Kellogg-Briand Pact is signed by 15 countries in Paris. Later, 47 other nations will sign the pact.
1938 - Robert Frost, in a fit of jealousy, sets fire to some papers to disrupt a poetry recital by another poet, Archibald MacLeish.
1939 - Nazi Germany demands the Polish corridor and Danzig.
1945 - American troops land in Japan after the surrender of the Japanese government at the end of World War II.
1962 - Mariner 2 is launched by the United States. In December of the same year the spacecraft flies past Venus. It is the first space probe to reach the vicinity of another planet.
- North Vietnam's major port at Haiphong sees the first bombings from U.S. warplanes.
1981 - Work begins on recovering a safe from the Andrea Doria. The Andrea Doria was a luxury liner that had sunk in 1956 in the waters off of Massachusetts.

1984- U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces that the first citizen to go into space will be a teacher. The teacher who will eventually be chosen is Christa McAuliffe. She dies in the Challenger disaster on January 28, 1986.
1984 - Diane Sawyer becomes the fifth reporter on CBS-TV's "60 Minutes."
1984 - The Menetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village opened. It was the first new off-Broadway theater to be built in 50 years in New York City.
1985 - The Space Shuttle Discovery leaves for a seven-day mission in which three satellites are launched and another is repaired and redeployed.
1986 - Nolan Ryan of the Houston Astros earns his 250th career win against the Chicago Cubs.
1989 - The first U.S. commercial satellite rocket is launched. A British communications satellite is onboard.
1990 - The
U.S. State Department orders the expulsion of 36 Iraqi diplomats.
1991 - The Soviet republic of Moldavia declares its independence.
1996 –California Governor Pete Wilson signs an order that would halt state benefits to illegal immigrants.
1998 - James Brolin receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1998 - "Titanic" becomes the first movie in North America to earn more than $600 million.
1999 - The final crew of the Russian space station Mir departs the station to return to Earth. Russia is forced to abandon Mir for financial reasons.
2001 - The
U.S. military announces that an Air Force RQ-1B "Predator" aircraft is lost over Iraq. It is reported that the unmanned aircraft "may have crashed or been shot down."
2001 - Work begins on the future site of a World War II memorial on the U.S. capital's historic national Mall. The site is between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb
: to vanish, like vapor.

“Later in the morning the fog will evanesce into blue sky.”

Quote of the Day:
“Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There’s nothing to do but to stand there and take it.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:
National Pot de Crème Day
National Just Because Day

Thanks dear one.

Oh crap. I just got a call that Lucile's mom died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,266,341 times
harmony
the end
no one really

Old 08-27-2017, 12:33 PM

39,245 posts, read 23,235,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
harmony
the end
no one really
You win the Internet for today!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 27, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson; singer-actress Martha Raye; actresses Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach and Diana Scarwid; comedian Pee Wee Herman; musician Daryl Dragon and fashion designer Tom Ford.

Today’s Questions are an edited version of Vanity Fair magazine's monthly celebrity feature, the Proust Questionnaire:

What is your idea of perfect happiness? excellent health and independently wealthy.

What is your greatest fear? a violent death

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? procrastination

What is the trait you most deplore in others?laziness

What is your greatest extravagance? my diamond ring

What is your favorite journey? any tropical island

On what occasion do you lie? when it's necessary.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? my neck

What words or phrases do you most overuse? like...

What or who is the greatest love of your life?my children

When and where were you happiest? 10 years old. Still at home.

Which talent would you most like to have? knowing another language fluently.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? more ambitious

What do you consider your greatest achievement? my children

What is your most treasured possession? my house

What is your most marked characteristic? patience

What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery? terminal illness

What is the quality you most like in a man? kindness

What is the quality you most like in a woman? kindness

What do you most value in your friends? being there for me and listening when I need someone to talk to

Who is your favorite hero of fiction? Superman

Who is your favorite villain of fiction? Dracula

Who are your heroes in real life? medical professionals and military personnel

Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 27, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson; singer-actress Martha Raye; actresses Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach and Diana Scarwid; comedian Pee Wee Herman; musician Daryl Dragon and fashion designer Tom Ford.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?......Just being around my family,spending time with my best friend,going hiking, being outside with Nature in one,enjoying tranquility.Be able to see,smell and hear.Happiness for me is when your soul and heart is at peace and when you are truly able to enjoy the littlest things.When you are happy with whatever is given to you and you fully can appreciate your life, surroundings and what is handed to you.There is so much more I want to say but not enough space....

What is your greatest fear?.....Dying resting in a casket being cremated and suddenly wake up before cremation and no way out....

What historical figure do you most identify with?......None

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?...... Procrastinating with ironing and sewing

What is the trait you most deplore in others?....... Negativity and complaining always being dissatisfied

What is your greatest extravagance?.......Going on yearly trips

What is your favorite journey?..........It must have been the first time I traveled to the Punjab/ India and see where my husband grew up,went to school and meet more of his family and relatives.Oh mei did I love it there.The most amazing place to visit.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?...

On what occasion do you lie?......to save people's feelings

What do you dislike most about your appearance?...too short

What words or phrases do you most overuse?.....

What or who is the greatest love of your life?......my family but long ago it was my beloved paternal grandmother

When and where were you happiest?..... whenever I am outside HIKING in the mountains I am the happiest.

Which talent would you most like to have?...... Ballerina

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?......Be less of a neat freak

What do you consider your greatest achievement?......My children

What is your most treasured possession?......A very special little rock that was given to me when I was 8 years old.Of no materialistic value but a very personal value.Of course there are other treasured possessions....

What is your most marked characteristic?...Loyalty

What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery?...Terminal illness or someone who never can be happy in life.....

What is the quality you most like in a man?..... Loyalty and Integrity

What is the quality you most like in a woman?..... Simplicity and kindness

What do you most value in your friends?..... Loyalty, Integrity, compassion and courage

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?......

Who is your favorite villain of fiction?.....

Who are your heroes in real life?...... Definitely the Veterans and soldiers who fought and fight in the war to give us a good life and the precious freedom.Otherwise my paternal grandmother and my father.

Today in History
- The books of John Milton are burned in London due to his attacks on King Charles II.
1789 - The Declaration of the Rights of Man is adopted by the French National Assembly.
1828 - Uruguay is formally proclaimed to be independent during preliminary talks between Brazil and Argentina.
1858 - The first cabled news dispatch is sent and is published by "The New York Sun" newspaper. The story is about the peace demands of England and France being met by China.
1859 - The first oil well is successfully drilled in the U.S. by Colonel Edwin L. Drake near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
1889 - Boxer Jack Dempsey is defeated for the first time of his career by George LaBlanche.
1892 - The original Metropolitan Opera House in New York is seriously damaged by fire.
U. S. Congress. The provision within for a graduated income tax is later struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
1921 - The owner of Acme Packing Company buys a pro football team for Green Bay,
Wisconsin. J.E. Clair pays tribute to those who worked in his plant by naming the team the Green Bay Packers.
1928 - The Kellogg-Briand Pact is signed by 15 countries in Paris. Later, 47 other nations will sign the pact.
1938 - Robert Frost, in a fit of jealousy, sets fire to some papers to disrupt a poetry recital by another poet, Archibald MacLeish.
1945 - American troops land in Japan after the surrender of the Japanese government at the end of World War II.
1962 - Mariner 2 is launched by the United States. In December of the same year the spacecraft flies past Venus. It is the first space probe to reach the vicinity of another planet.
- North Vietnam's major port at Haiphong sees the first bombings from U.S. warplanes.
1981 - Work begins on recovering a safe from the Andrea Doria. The Andrea Doria was a luxury liner that had sunk in 1956 in the waters off of Massachusetts.

1984- U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces that the first citizen to go into space will be a teacher. The teacher who will eventually be chosen is Christa McAuliffe. She dies in the Challenger disaster on January 28, 1986.
1984 - The Menetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village opened. It was the first new off-Broadway theater to be built in 50 years in New York City.
1985 - The Space Shuttle Discovery leaves for a seven-day mission in which three satellites are launched and another is repaired and redeployed.
1986 - Nolan Ryan of the Houston Astros earns his 250th career win against the Chicago Cubs.
1989 - The first U.S. commercial satellite rocket is launched. A British communications satellite is onboard.
1990 - The
1996 –California Governor Pete Wilson signs an order that would halt state benefits to illegal immigrants.
1998 - "Titanic" becomes the first movie in North America to earn more than $600 million.
1999 - The final crew of the Russian space station Mir departs the station to return to Earth. Russia is forced to abandon Mir for financial reasons.
2001 - The
U.S. military announces that an Air Force RQ-1B "Predator" aircraft is lost over Iraq. It is reported that the unmanned aircraft "may have crashed or been shot down."
2001 - Work begins on the future site of a World War II memorial on the U.S. capital's historic national Mall. The site is between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb

Quote of the Day:
“Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There’s nothing to do but to stand there and take it.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:

THANK YOU Bayarea

Old 08-27-2017, 05:43 PM

5,925 posts, read 3,856,818 times

There is no perfect happiness, there's a few bright moments that remain in our memories but I have found that the search is more for peace and tranquility rather than happiness

I guess that would be drowning, seems like a horrible way to die

Joan of Arc maybe

Hmmm it's more of a disorder than a trait but I hate that I'm bipolar

Oh so many, I suppose that's why I have very few friends. I despise liars, cheaters,
people who hurt children or animals, narcissists (that covers a lot of ground) and entitled a-holes.

I can't afford extravagances so it would be something simple like a pedicure

Not sure I understand the question, there are no journeys, especially life that have been easy or enjoyable particularly, maybe the journey into motherhood even though I only have one child

I don't think there are any overrated virtues

I will lie in order not to hurt someone's feelings, not much else I'm kind of brutally honest most of the time

Oh dear, so many things but mostly that I'm so overweight that I'm considered obese,
scars on my face from acne, ugly hands and sort of a big nose - could be worse because my Dad has the biggest nose of anyone I've ever seen

Probably this one - "whatever you have to tell yourself" along with Holy s&*%!

Took me a long time to figure this one out but one of my first real boyfriends when I was 16 - he adored me and I dumped all over him and for that I am truly sorry

When I had a year long manic episode about 12 years ago, I was superwoman,
invincible, started my own business and dated the most beautiful man in the world. It lasted only a year and the fall-out from my mania and bad decisions I continue to pay for to this day. True long-term happiness does not exist.

I would like to be able to sing and play the piano
My weight, obviously

Like I said above, opening my own retail ladies boutique, I can mark that off my bucket list because it was something I always wanted to do.

Nothing expensive or particularly extravagant, it's a bottle of perfume called "trailing arbutus" I've had since 1979 when I sold Avon as a teenager

I have no idea, when I was younger I suppose it was my big, dark brown eyes but now that I've gotten old they're hooded and hard to see, sucks getting old
For me it's bipolar depression, which I am in the depths of right now

Just a hard working, honest, dependable and stand up guy, hard to find these days

Someone who thinks about others and doesn't wah-wah about every damn thing

Reliability and honesty, I hate one-sided friendships and that's probably why I had very few friends

Wonder Woman of course

Hmm, didn't really get into the comic book thing but the best villian portrayed in movies was probably Heath Ledger's version of the Joker

Just my Mom
Today in History

1990 - The
2001 - The

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb

Quote of the Day:
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:

Thanks Bay, nice Q's!

Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 PM

21,745 posts, read 8,880,895 times

That lovely, floaty feeling you get when you are drowsy and just about to drift off to sleep.
Dying without a will.
Amelia Earhart.
Carelessness.
Cruelty.
Going out to restaurants several times a week.
Portland and the Oregon Coast.
Piety.
When the truth would be hurtful to someone I care about.
My little pot belly.
"I can imagine."
Mr. Bay.
Right now, right here.
I'd like to be able to play the piano.
I would be more outgoing.
Quitting smoking.
A Cartier choker with four little diamonds, a gift from an old boyfriend that I've had for nearly 45 years.
I'm nice.
Feeling alone and unloved.
Sense of humor.
Sense of humor.
Their kindness.
Jo March from Little Women.
Addison DeWitt from All About Eve.
Elizabeth Warren.

Thanks to everyone for your interesting answers.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-27-2017 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 08-27-2017, 08:13 PM

44,477 posts, read 20,273,814 times

What is your idea of perfect happiness? Being content with who you are and your present station in life.

What is your greatest fear? I have lots of fears; hard to choose one. One of my big fears is whether I will be able to live comfortably in retirement.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? My self-deprecation. (Gee, this is getting depressing.)

What is the trait you most deplore in others? Dishonesty.

What is your greatest extravagance? My current car.

What is your favorite journey? It's a tie between my Adriatic cruise in Sept/Oct 2015 and my trip to Croatia and Slovenia in April 2017. Both were absolutely amazing and wonderful trips.

On what occasion do you lie? None. The closest I come is skirting an issue rather than intentionally saying something that would upset someone. As far as saying something that is not truthful, I just don't do that.

What words or phrases do you most overuse? "Wonderful" and a couple of colorful swear words I can't write on City-Data without getting an infraction.

What or who is the greatest love of your life? Sorry, I'm not sharing that here (although chocolate comes in a close second ).

When and where were you happiest? When I was a kid. I had a wonderful childhood. As an adult, one event in particular was the happiest moment of my life. It occurred at a Christian retreat I attended in October 1998. It would take much too long to explain it here in writing. Suffice it to say I was enveloped in the love of many people to a degree I'd never imagined possible.

Which talent would you most like to have? I'd love to be a pianist.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? My tendency to self-deprecate.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? My volunteer work. Also, I've donated blood 166 times, more than 20 gallons.

What is your most treasured possession? My Alvarez classic guitar that I purchased in 1976.

What is your most marked characteristic? Physically, it would be my naturally blonde, curly hair. It's got some grey mixed in now, but I've been blonde my entire life.

What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery? I imagine that would be feeling unloved.

What is the quality you most like in a man? Two things: kindness and honesty.

What is the quality you most like in a woman? Two things: kindness and honesty.

What do you most value in your friends? Unconditional love.

Who are your heroes in real life? My "Uncle Bob," the kindest, most compassionate and most generous man I've ever met. My hero whom I never met was Mother Theresa. She was the epitome of selfless love.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-27-2017 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM

72,554 posts, read 18,264,448 times
I just want to say that the folks here are so awesome! You are able to answer all these questions so truthfully and it takes so long to answer all these! so dedicated! I'd like to raise a glass to congratulate all!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,537,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

My wedding day whenever it happens

Jesus Christ

My trip to Arizona,New Mexico,Nevada and California

I try my best not to lie

Jesus Christ

I dont know

Being a good Christian

Dont have one
Its a tie between Count Dracula and Xenia Onatopp

Today in History

1990 - The
2001 - The

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb

Quote of the Day:
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:
Answers are above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics