Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:13 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 13, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Leo. Some famous people who share your birth date are sharpshooter Annie Oakley; actors Bert Lahr and Danny Bonaduce; actress Quinn Cummings; director Alfred Hitchcock; jazz pianist George Shearing; Nobel winning scientist Frederick Sanger; Cuban leader Fidel Castro; former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders; opera singer Kathleen Battle and former Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer. What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel).

Eh - if it weren't always in Italian I might enjoy it

What kind of music do you listen to most?
I mostly listen to rock, but I do enjoy all types of music except for rap and the newer stuff that all sounds alike

Do you subscribe to any satellite music services or use apps to listen to music such as Pandora or Aha?
I was using Pandora a lot but have gotten away from it, need to listen to more music

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.) Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites?
Yes I do! I have a large bottle of wine that I purchased that is just chilling in the fridge whenever I get a taste for it. Otherwise, I drink spiced rum and diet coke

It’s also Kool-Aid weekend. Did you drink Kool-Aid as a kid? What other beverages did you enjoy when you were growing up?
Oh my yes, drank the kool-aid, RC Cola, Mountain Dew and lots of sweet tea and my teeth have paid the price - it's what us toothless southerners do Not really, I've paid thousands of dollars to keep my teeth in tact but I'm sure all that sugar didn't help

If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages? Do you have any brand preferences?
Not a big wine drinker but I do like Rose' pretty good, and my favorite drink of all time is a margarita (with salt) on the rocks. They just don't love me very much

Just For Fun

Today is National Left-Hander’s Day. Are you left-handed, or do you know someone who is?
Actually yes I am! Ask any leftie, it's hard living in a right-handed world. There were only two other left-handed people in my family one on paternal and one on maternal, both passed away now.

Have you ever been forced to use the “wrong” hand because of an injury or for any other reason?
Yes, I am completely lost I am so left-handed

Today in History

1521 - Present day Mexico City is captured by Spanish conqueror Hernando Cortez from the Aztec Indians.
1704 - The Battle of Blenheim is fought during the War of the Spanish Succession, resulting in a victory for English and Austrian forces.
1792 - French revolutionaries take the entire French royal family and imprison them.
1784 - The United States Legislature meets for the final time in Annapolis, MD.
1846 - The American flag is raised for the first time in Los Angeles, CA.
1876 - The Reciprocity treaty between the U.S. and Hawaii is ratified.
1889 - A patent for a coin-operated telephone is issued to William Gray.
1912 - The first experimental radio license is issued to St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia, PA.
1931 - The first community hospital in the U.S. is dedicated in Elk City, OK.
1932 - Adolf Hitler refuses to take the post of vice-chancellor of Germany. He says he is going to hold out "for all or nothing."
1934 - Al Capp's comic strip "Li’l Abner" makes its debut in newspapers.
1942 - Henry Ford unveils his "Soybean Car." It is a plastic-bodied car that weighs about 1000 lbs. less than a steel car.
1942 - Walt Disney's "Bambi" opens at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, NY.
1959 - In New York, ground is broken on the $320 million Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
1960 - "Echo I," a balloon satellite, allows the first two-way telephone conversation by satellite to take place.
1961 - Berlin is divided by a barbed wire fence to halt the flight of refugees. Two days later work on the Berlin Wall begins.
1965 – The Beatles album “Help” is released in the United States.
1979 - Lou Brock (St. Louis Cardinals) gets his 3,000th career hit.
1985 - The engagement of Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger is announced.
1986 - United States Football League standout Herschel Walker signed to play with the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League.
1990 - Iraq transfers $3-4 billion in bullion, currency, and other goods seized from Kuwait to Baghdad.
1992 - Woody Allen begins legal action to win custody of his three children. A judge rules against Allen in 1993.
1994 - It is reported that aspirin not only helps reduce the risk of heart disease, but also helps prevent colon cancer.

Word of the Day:

disquisition /ˌdiskwəˈziSHən/noun
· a long or elaborate essay or discussion on a particular subject.
"Nothing can kill a radio show quicker than a disquisition on intertextual analysis"

Quote of the Day:
“Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn’t change people’s habits, it just kept them inside the house.”
- Alfred Hitchcock

Today is:
Left-Hander’s Day
Filet Mignon Day
Prosecco Day
Spirit of ’45 Day

Thanks Bay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 04:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer. What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel). Love it or leave it ,,,,, I'll leave it. Opera isn't my cup of tea.
What kind of music do you listen to most? I'll enjoy most anything that is "good" music. I like lite jazz, old time rock, big band instrumentals, some country western, classical lite elevator music is nice at times as well. No rap music however.... NONE!

Do you subscribe to any satellite music services or use apps to listen to music such as Pandora or Aha? No satellite here..... I don't like to pay for subscription radio, however when traveling satellite service is about all you can get on the open highway and so many towns just don't have any good stations for news and music to listen to.

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.) Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites? Yes on the wine, but Champagne isn't something I get excited about having.

It’s also Kool-Aid weekend. Did you drink Kool-Aid as a kid? What other beverages did you enjoy when you were growing up? Yes as a kid Kool-Aid was ok but I think kids today get too much sugar in their drinks. It's not a good thing, but I guess it's better than pop/cola ............. Lots of health issues because of soft-drinks and sugar.

If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages? Do you have any brand preferences? Any lite drink that's cold is enjoyable.

Just For Fun

Today is National Left-Hander’s Day. Are you left-handed, or do you know someone who is? Yes, I'm left handed but I also do many other things with my right hand. I draw and paint right handed, write left handed and throw right hand. I work with hand-tools right handed as well. I think mom dropped me on my head when I was little.....................

Have you ever been forced to use the “wrong” hand because of an injury or for any other reason? No not ever....

Enjoy the start of a new week.............

Old 08-13-2017, 05:54 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,008 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 13, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Leo. Some famous people who share your birth date are sharpshooter Annie Oakley; actors Bert Lahr and Danny Bonaduce; actress Quinn Cummings; director Alfred Hitchcock; jazz pianist George Shearing; Nobel winning scientist Frederick Sanger; Cuban leader Fidel Castro; former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders; opera singer Kathleen Battle and former Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer. What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel)...........It's not my kind of music.

What kind of music do you listen to most?..........Top 40 hits and classic rock.

Do you subscribe to any satellite music services or use apps to listen to music such as Pandora or Aha?................We have sat radio in our truck.

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.) Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites?..............Once in a blue moon I'll have a mixed drink or glass of wine.

It’s also Kool-Aid weekend. Did you drink Kool-Aid as a kid? What other beverages did you enjoy when you were growing up? ..............Yes, I did the Kool-Aid thing as a kid. I also loved Mt. Dew!

If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages? Do you have any brand preferences?...............I so seldom drink adult beverages so I don't have a favorite.

Just For Fun

Today is National Left-Hander’s Day. Are you left-handed, or do you know someone who is?...........I'm not left handed but my sister-in-law is.

Have you ever been forced to use the “wrong” hand because of an injury or for any other reason?...............Thankfully I have not.

Today in History

1521 - Present day Mexico City is captured by Spanish conqueror Hernando Cortez from the Aztec Indians.
1704 - The Battle of Blenheim is fought during the War of the Spanish Succession, resulting in a victory for English and Austrian forces.
1792 - French revolutionaries take the entire French royal family and imprison them.
1912 - The first experimental radio license is issued to St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia, PA.
1932 - Adolf Hitler refuses to take the post of vice-chancellor of Germany. He says he is going to hold out "for all or nothing."
1942 - Henry Ford unveils his "Soybean Car." It is a plastic-bodied car that weighs about 1000 lbs. less than a steel car.
1942 - Walt Disney's "Bambi" opens at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, NY.
1959 - In New York, ground is broken on the $320 million Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
1960 - "Echo I," a balloon satellite, allows the first two-way telephone conversation by satellite to take place.
1961 - Berlin is divided by a barbed wire fence to halt the flight of refugees. Two days later work on the Berlin Wall begins.
1986 - United States Football League standout Herschel Walker signed to play with the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League.
1990 - Iraq transfers $3-4 billion in bullion, currency, and other goods seized from Kuwait to Baghdad.
1992 - Woody Allen begins legal action to win custody of his three children. A judge rules against Allen in 1993.
1994 - It is reported that aspirin not only helps reduce the risk of heart disease, but also helps prevent colon cancer.

Word of the Day:

"Nothing can kill a radio show quicker than a disquisition on intertextual analysis"

Quote of the Day:
“Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn’t change people’s habits, it just kept them inside the house.”
- Alfred Hitchcock

Today is:
Left-Hander’s Day
Filet Mignon Day
Prosecco Day
Spirit of ’45 Day

Old 08-13-2017, 06:06 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer. What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel).
One day when I was 12 and home sick from school, I was rummaging through my dad's records and found a 78 by some guy named Enrico Caruso. "Oh, I've heard of him," I thought. So I put on the record. That glorious voice seduced me. I'd never heard anything so beautiful. I've been an opera fan ever since, much to the consternation of my parents, who would make sarcastic remarks like "Where's the cat fight?" or, "What are they screaming about?"

It's a mixed bag because I love so many different kinds of music. Mostly I listen to classical, opera, 50s, 60s and 70s oldies, jazz and big band/swing. I also like some of the old school country like Hank Williams.

Do you subscribe to any satellite music services or use apps to listen to music such as Pandora or Aha?
The car came with a trial subscription to Sirius XM, and I like it so much I signed up.
I especially enjoy the 40s channel and the Metropolitan Opera channel. They also have a Beatles channel.

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.) Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites?
I love wine and drink it every day. My favorite wines are whites: Chardonnay, Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc and Prosecco. I also enjoy an after-dinner port, and now and then I'll have a Margarita but without the salt.

It’s also Kool-Aid weekend. Did you drink Kool-Aid as a kid? What other beverages did you enjoy when you were growing up?
We drank tons of Kool-Aid. There was always some on hand. I made ice cubes with it on hot summer day for instant mini-Popsicles. Sometimes I would open a packet on the sly, mix sugar into it and eat it with a spoon. We also had Hi-C. The orange flavor always tasted like peel to me, but I liked the grape. (By the way, for those who referenced Jonestown, I believe what they drank was not grape Kool-Aid but the lesser known Flavor Aid.)

If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages? Do you have any brand preferences?
N/A

Just For Fun

Today is National Left-Hander’s Day. Are you left-handed, or do you know someone who is?
Yes, I am left-handed, and so is Mr. Bay. But I play sports right-handed. It's probably because when we were given sports instruction in school, it was always right-handed. So that's the way I learned it. I can do most things right-handed if I have to.

Have you ever been forced to use the “wrong” hand because of an injury or for any other reason?
Yes, when I broke my left wrist in 2013 I had to do everything right-handed. I had just changed my primary physician and I had to fill out seven pages of forms right-handed. It looked like a drunken spider wrote it! I couldn't work out how to wash my hair with only one hand, so I went to one of those walk-in salons until the cast came off.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Today’s Questions:

I like Italian and Russian opera, but I have to be in a mood to listen to it. Pavarotti, Caruso, Chaliapin, Netrebko...

Really depends on mood. To calm down, think, relax - classical or ambient music
To uplift, stay awake - anything except country or folk. Love classic rock 80's, pop, techno, blues.

No.

Bonus Questions:

Beer or wine with food, madeira and port with sweets, vodka when socializing.

No soft drinks were ever purchased when I was growing up. Only tea, mineral water and natural juices.

See the above.

Just For Fun

No, I can use both hands. I have a co-worker who is. Feel sorry for her, because everything is made/build for right-handlers.

I can do most things with both hands, including writing. My parents taught me to be ambidextrous, as a part of useful "surviving" skills. I have no idea why those sentences are in bold, or this one in green. It wasn't my intention.

Today in History
Great selection!!

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn’t change people’s habits, it just kept them inside the house.” <<< lol!! It changed people's habits making them couch potato...
- Alfred Hitchcock

Today is:
Left-Hander’s Day
Filet Mignon Day
Prosecco Day
Spirit of ’45 Day

Thank you, baya!!

Last edited by elnina; 08-13-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer.
What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel).
Not my thing.
I also don't like musical plays or movies, but I like going to concerts and like music in and of itself.

Classic rock.
Not irght now. I've listened to satellite in the past. YouTube is my friend.

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.)
Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites?

Never cared for it.
It’s also Kool-Aid weekend. Did you drink Kool-Aid as a kid?
Occasionally.
What other beverages did you enjoy when you were growing up?

We had soda sometimes. I've always liked tea.
If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages?
Water.
Do you have any brand preferences?
Ozarka

Just For Fun

I know very few lefties. One of whom is BayArea4.
Broke my right arm as a kid once. Never got good at left handed writing tho.

Thanks, BA4. Did you type these questions mostly with your left hand?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 AM

412 posts, read 302,403 times

Today’s Questions:
Today is the birthday of a famous opera singer. What is your opinion of opera? (C’mon, don’t be shy - tell us how you really feel). Never been to opera, maybe one day i will try that but i am really no interrested in that :-/

What kind of music do you listen to most? Hard to say, latino, rap, country, 90s and 80s music ... i like a lot of different music.

Do you subscribe to any satellite music services or use apps to listen to music such as Pandora or Aha? No, youtube and car radio are my best friends in this

Bonus Questions:
Today is also Prosecco day. (Prosecco is a sparkling Italian white wine similar to Champagne.) Do you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages? If so, what are your favorites? Don´t drink much wine, maybe 2 times per year

If you are not a wine drinker, what are your favorite adult beverages? Do you have any brand preferences? Captain Morgan rum, Baccardi, sometimes beer

Just For Fun
Today is National Left-Hander’s Day. Are you left-handed, or do you know someone who is? I know few of them

Have you ever been forced to use the “wrong” hand because of an injury or for any other reason? Yes, ive had broken right arm for cca 3 weeks ive must use left one. Hard times at toilet

Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 AM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
Today’s Questions:
I don't care for it.
Anything but rap.
None of the above.

Bonus Questions:
Sangria.
No.

Just For Fun

Right handed.

Haven't

Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 AM

385 posts, read 206,246 times
I realized I did not answer a couple of questions.

Yes, I do know a couple of left handers. My mother and my daughter.

I accidentally made a deep cut on the top of my thumb and did my best to write left handed for that period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics