Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 PM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, July 16, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birth date are Christian Science founder Mary Baker Eddy; composer Fritz Mahler; explorer Roald Amundsen; popcorn king Orville Redenbacher, baseball legend “Shoeless Joe” Jackson; actresses Ginger Rogers, Barbara Stanwyck and Phoebe Cates; NFL head coach Jimmy Johnston; tennis star Margaret Smith Court; musicians Cal Tjader, Desmond Dekker and Stewart Copeland; politicians Barbara Lee and Tim Ryan; dancer/choreographer Michael Flatley and actor-comedian Will Ferrell.

Today’s Questions:
Everyone deserves at least one do-over in life. What's yours?

What would be different the second time around?

Bonus Questions:
If you could change anything about your appearance, what would it be?

If you could change something about your personality, what would it be?

Just For Fun:
What do you have too much of?

What do you not have enough of?

Today in History:
622 – Muslim era begins as Muhammad flees Mecca to Medina to escape persecution.
1429 – Joan of Arc and the French Army enter Reims.
1439 – Kissing is banned in England (to prevent the spread of germs).
1519 – In a debate with a theologian, Martin Luther denies the divine right of the Pope.
1661 – First banknotes in Europe are issued by the Bank of Stockholm.
1769 – Father Junipero Serra founds Mission San Diego, the first mission in California.
1790 – Congress declares Washington, D.C. to be the permanent capital of the United States.
1861 – Battle of Bull Run, the first major battle of the Civil War, is fought.
1867 – Joseph Monier patents reinforced concrete.
1880 – Dr. Emily Stowe becomes the first female physician licensed to practice in Canada.
1918 – A Bolshevik firing squad executes Russian Tsar Nicholas II and his family.
1926 – National Geographic takes the first natural-color underwater photos.
1935 – First automatic parking meter in the United States installed in Oklahoma City.
1945 – First test detonation of an atomic bomb at Alamogordo, New Mexico (the Manhattan Project).
1951 – J.D. Salinger’s novel Catcher in the Rye is published.
1957 – U.S. Marine pilot John Glenn sets a transcontinental speed record (03:28:08).
1969 – Apollo 11 launched, carrying the first men to land on the Moon.
1973 – During the Watergate hearings, Nixon staffer Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of tapes.
1980 – Ronald Reagan nominated for U.S. president at the Republican National Convention.
1990 – 400 die in a 7.7 earthquake in the Philippines.
1999 – John F. Kennedy, Jr., his wife Carolyn Bessette and her sister Lauren are killed in a private plane crash off Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
2015 – Scientists reveal the first close-up pictures of Pluto sent by the New Horizons probe.

Word of the Day:
ec·u·men·i·cal
ˌ/ekyəˈmenək(ə)l/
adjective
: representing a number of different Christian churches.
Synonyms: nondenomionational, universal, catholic, latitudarian, all-embracing, all-inclusive.
“The local churches are sponsoring an ecumenical service on the green.”

Quote of the Day:
“Every once in a while, someone will mail me a single popcorn kernel that didn't pop. I'll get out a fresh kernel, tape it to a piece of paper and mail it back to them.”
- Orville Redenbacher

Today is:
National Corn Fritters Day
National Personal Chef’s Day
National Ice Cream Day
Hot Dog Night
World Snake Day
Lake Superior Day

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-15-2017 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: fix wonky spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
Today’s Questions:
Everyone deserves at least one do-over in life. What's yours? I can't think of any do-overs for me.

What would be different the second time around? Nothing,,, the first time around had some issues or problems however that's part of what makes me who I am; it's some things I've learned from.

Bonus Questions:
If you could change anything about your appearance, what would it be? a few pounds less and a foot taller would be nice. And while we're working on this, how about 50 years younger - I'd like to be back in the 20's again.

If you could change something about your personality, what would it be? Maybe more tolerant of things at times of stress.........

Just For Fun:
What do you have too much of? clutter, it's time to throw out or give away stuff.... stuff isn't always good.

What do you not have enough of? free time to enjoy enough life each day.

Today in History:
622 – Muslim era begins as Muhammad flees Mecca to Medina to escape persecution.
1519 – In a debate with a theologian, Martin Luther denies the divine right of the Pope.
1769 – Father Junipero Serra founds Mission San Diego, the first mission in California.
1790 – Congress declares Washington, D.C. to be the permanent capital of the United States.
1880 – Dr. Emily Stowe becomes the first female physician licensed to practice in Canada.
1918 – A Bolshevik firing squad executes Russian Tsar Nicholas II and his family.
1935 – First automatic parking meter in the United States installed in Oklahoma City.
1945 – First test detonation of an atomic bomb at Alamogordo, New Mexico (the Manhattan Project).
1957 – U.S. Marine pilot John Glenn sets a transcontinental speed record (03:28:08).
1973 – During the Watergate hearings, Nixon staffer Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of tapes.
1980 – Ronald Reagan nominated for U.S. president at the Republican National Convention.
1999 – John F. Kennedy, Jr., his wife Carolyn Bessette and her sister Lauren are killed in a private plane crash off Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
2015 – Scientists reveal the first close-up pictures of Pluto sent by the New Horizons probe.

Word of the Day:
ec·u·men·i·cal
ˌ/ekyəˈmenək(ə)l/
adjective
Synonyms: nondenomionational, universal, catholic, latitudarian, all-embracing, all-inclusive.

Quote of the Day:
“Every once in a while, someone will mail me a single popcorn kernel that didn't pop. I'll get out a fresh kernel, tape it to a piece of paper and mail it back to them.”
- Orville Redenbacher

Today is:
National Ice Cream Day
Hot Dog Night
World Snake Day
Lake Superior Day

Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, July 16, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birth date are Christian Science founder Mary Baker Eddy; composer Fritz Mahler; explorer Roald Amundsen; popcorn king Orville Redenbacher, baseball legend “Shoeless Joe” Jackson; actresses Ginger Rogers, Barbara Stanwyck and Phoebe Cates; NFL head coach Jimmy Johnston; tennis star Margaret Smith Court; musicians Cal Tjader, Desmond Dekker and Stewart Copeland; politicians Barbara Lee and Tim Ryan; dancer/choreographer Michael Flatley and actor-comedian Will Ferrell.

Today’s Questions:
Jobs
Jobs
Bonus Questions:
I would look younger.
I'd talk far less and just spectate.
Just For Fun:
Junk
Junk!
Today in History:

Word of the Day:
ec·u·men·i·cal
ˌ/ekyəˈmenək(ə)l/
adjective

Quote of the Day:
- Orville Redenbacher

Today is:
National Corn Fritters Day Fritos discovered in San Antonio
National Ice Cream Day
Hot Dog Night
World Snake Day
Lake Superior Day
Last edited by Bayarea4; Yesterday at 11:12 PM.. Reason: fix wonky spacing

Thanks BA4! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-15-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,048,217 times
Today’s Questions:
My do over would be work related

I would have pursued my dream job 25 years sooner instead of waiting until I was 49.

Bonus Questions:
Nothing. What you see is what you get.

No sense messing with what has gotten me this far.

Just For Fun:
Right now I have too much free time

Bars of gold and stinky cheese and cheap beer.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:14 AM

30,950 posts, read 16,537,544 times
Today’s Questions:

would have kept the place I owned until 1998.

It wouldn't look as trashy as it does now..

Bonus Questions:

thinner. a lot thinner

I'd be more focused. Things don't get done because too much gets started.

Just For Fun:

started projects

hippos. never enough hippos.

http://cincinnatizoo.org/blog/2017/01/25/premature-hippo-baby-updates/

thanks, BA.

have a great day, everyone

Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
Today’s Questions:
- A normal childhood that I never had.

Divorced now but getting married was the biggest mistake I ever made.

What would be different the second time around? - Better parents = a likely better life...

As far as the other part - an earlier and better retirement is one of many things that would have been different...

Bonus Questions:
- I wish I was younger.

If you could change something about your personality, what would it be? - I think I'm too hard on myself but that might not fit as an answer here...

Just For Fun:
- Alone time

What do you not have enough of? - Money, friends, love.

Thanks, Bay.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,266,341 times
certain stocks
buy buy buy

haircut
virtuousness

cat fur
hours in the day

Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 9 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,307,556 times

Today’s Questions:
Everyone deserves at least one do-over in life. What's yours? ......It's too private to share.

What would be different the second time around?...............Probably lots of stuff.

Bonus Questions:
If you could change anything about your appearance, what would it be?...........I'd go back to my younger self.

If you could change something about your personality, what would it be?.................I'd be more tolerant and forgiving.

Just For Fun:
What do you have too much of?...............Clothing

What do you not have enough of?.............Fun and vacations.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:
ec·u·men·i·cal
ˌ/ekyəˈmenək(ə)l/
adjective

Quote of the Day:
- Orville Redenbacher

Today is:
National Personal Chef’s Day..........I want lots of veggies.
National Ice Cream Day..........Count me in.
Hot Dog Night..........Not here.
World Snake Day
Lake Superior Day

Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
Today’s Questions:
Handling finances.
I'd have money today
Bonus Questions:
Hmmm, nothing
Wish I would not have been so gullible in my younger years.
Just For Fun:
Patience
Time and money

Thanks Bay

Old 07-16-2017, 07:08 AM

37,870 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today’s Questions:

I would have taken a job offered to me in 1971.

I would have never returned to NY from Washington, DC which means I would not have married my now ex-husband because I would have never met him and I might have retired from the FBI instead of the government agency I eventually did work for and retire from in Washington DC after I went back to DC in 1995.

Bonus Questions:
Too hard to pick one, too many choices.

If you could change something about your personality, what would it be? Less anti-social.

Just For Fun:
books on my bookcase (overflowing), lousy photos (I keep them because I still think the software might be eventually developed/invented to fix them), medicine, old stuff in the fridge.

What do you not have enough of? camera lenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics