Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,029,422 times

Advertisements

A wise man once told me...........if someone sincerely says about you at your wake/funeral................" he was a good man ".... your life was a success 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 67,598 times
My grandfather was a successful man and he left college funds for all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren when he died. Those kids have all grown up now and his gift was a large piece of their over all success. They don't all remember him directly but he has had so much influence they feel like they do. I won't be able to leave even close to the legacy he left but I like how he touched the younger generations and I look forward to helping my grandkids get to college as well, if I have any. I will probably start a scholarship if I end up without any grandkids (a real possibility). Partly to honor my grandfather and everything he did for me and my kids, but partly also to leave my own legacy.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:48 PM

20,473 posts, read 14,836,153 times
My ex husband and I have talked about this. The house we used to co-own, was under a VA loan in his name, and I got out of the whole thing in the divorce and so the house is now his. Which suits me fine. His plan, is that upon his death, his veterans' life insurance pays off the loan and the house, plus the remainder of his assets, goes into a trust which pays out under strict conditions to his descendants.

I don't like this. First of all, so you got a house in the burbs, so what? It's not like it's a house with any character, an old house, or a house the kids spent most of their childhood in. It's a standard suburban rancher full of bad memories for everybody who was in it, for most of the 4 years or so we were there together more or less. And the conditions for the kids to get any benefit of the trust? Like, if they are doing this or that with their lives? I see it as him trying to impose his controlling and judgmental personal stuff onto future generations. If they live the way he thinks a decent person should, then they benefit from "his legacy."

But whatever, it's HIS house and HIS life insurance. Not my place to say. But he has, smugly, asked me what I think I will be leaving behind. Well... For one thing, I have been PRESENT with our kids more, so memories for sure. And I hope to write a book about my life, so that in 4 or 5 generations if some descendant wants to know what sort of person I was or how life was during my time, they can read it. I would find that amazing, to read the life story of an ancestor. I make art, and that will hopefully get passed down, at least some of it. And sure, perhaps there might be some wealth. I hope to have raised strong enough sons that they're doing fine on their own by that point, but whatever is left, well, not like I can take it with me.

I'm more about living my life, than planning my death though.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,270,996 times
The great number of the people who would have reason to remember me positively and fondly are already dead...as are those who may have thought I was an SOB. I have saved enough money to be helpful in a small way to a local organization for very severely handicapped children, a local hospice movement and a small retreat community - presuming that the money is not used up before I die due to some personal emergency. I have left small bequests to two people who helped me in times of illness.

I shall be cremated and my ashes scattered on a beach, and four or five people may remember me for awhile. This event is probably not too very far in the future, and I am comfortable with the picture in the rear-view mirror as it stands now.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My ex husband and I have talked about this. The house we used to co-own, was under a VA loan in his name, and I got out of the whole thing in the divorce and so the house is now his. Which suits me fine. His plan, is that upon his death, his veterans' life insurance pays off the loan and the house, plus the remainder of his assets, goes into a trust which pays out under strict conditions to his descendants.

I don't like this. First of all, so you got a house in the burbs, so what? It's not like it's a house with any character, an old house, or a house the kids spent most of their childhood in. It's a standard suburban rancher full of bad memories for everybody who was in it, for most of the 4 years or so we were there together more or less. And the conditions for the kids to get any benefit of the trust? Like, if they are doing this or that with their lives? I see it as him trying to impose his controlling and judgmental personal stuff onto future generations. If they live the way he thinks a decent person should, then they benefit from "his legacy."

But whatever, it's HIS house and HIS life insurance. Not my place to say. But he has, smugly, asked me what I think I will be leaving behind. Well... For one thing, I have been PRESENT with our kids more, so memories for sure. And I hope to write a book about my life, so that in 4 or 5 generations if some descendant wants to know what sort of person I was or how life was during my time, they can read it. I would find that amazing, to read the life story of an ancestor. I make art, and that will hopefully get passed down, at least some of it. And sure, perhaps there might be some wealth. I hope to have raised strong enough sons that they're doing fine on their own by that point, but whatever is left, well, not like I can take it with me.

Don't leave a legacy that you died bitter.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,102,058 times
“Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

That works for me as well!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 PM
bjh

60,340 posts, read 30,553,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Don't leave a legacy that you died bitter.
THAT's what you got from her post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
...I have been PRESENT with our kids more, so memories for sure. And I hope to write a book about my life, so that in 4 or 5 generations if some descendant wants to know what sort of person I was or how life was during my time, they can read it. I would find that amazing, to read the life story of an ancestor. I make art, and that will hopefully get passed down, at least some of it. And sure, perhaps there might be some wealth. I hope to have raised strong enough sons that they're doing fine on their own by that point, but whatever is left, well, not like I can take it with me.

Sonic Spork, your ex reminds me of people who think that they win some sort of contest by amassing resources they then won't share with the people they're supposed to care about the most. Better to leave good memories and to have been a good parent.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
THAT's what you got from her post?

Sonic Spork, your ex reminds me of people who think that they win some sort of contest by amassing resources they then won't share with the people they're supposed to care about the most. Better to leave good memories and to have been a good parent.
To answer your first question .............yes !

Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 PM
bjh

60,340 posts, read 30,553,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
To answer your first question .............yes !
I knew it!

Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 AM

33,047 posts, read 36,670,672 times
My son will always remember me as the weird woman who raised him and said thing like, "I know! Let's put on a show in the barn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics