Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,531,783 times

Advertisements

Hello and Happy Friday Night/Saturday

Today’s Questions:
Today has a lot of celebrations so:

What were your favorite comics when you were young?

Have you ever grown any herbs? Which ones?

Have you ever made your own wine, beer or liquor?

Do you like scrapbooking? What do you collect or save from places you have been?

Do you have a smoke detector? a carbon monoxide detector? a fire extinguisher? Have you checked your batteries?

Do you know any nurses?

Extra Credit Questions:
Would you rather donate your body to science or donate your organs to people who need them?

Would you rather relive the same day for 365 days or lose a year of your life?

Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue?

Would you rather be able to control animals (but not humans) with your mind or control electronics with your mind?

Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.)

Would you rather sell all of your possessions or sell one of your organs?

Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car?

Would you rather be infamous in history books or be forgotten after your death?

Would you rather never have to work again or never have to sleep again (you won’t feel tired or suffer negative health effects)?

Would you rather get one free round trip international plane ticket every year or be able to fly domestic anytime for free?

Bonus Questions:

What are you going to do this weekend?

What is something that is popular now that annoys you?

What did you do this past week?

What was the last time you worked incredibly hard?

Are you very active of do you prefer to just relax in your free time?

Just For Fun:

It’s time for a round of Scattergories
Starting with the letter “I” give one answer to each of these categories.

Outdoor Activity

Office Supplies

Party Themes

Things You Need A Ticket For

Vacation Spots

1980’s Stuff

Electronic Devices

Actors

Things That Smell Bad

Nicknames

Today’s Word:
Acerbic adj. Sharp or biting, as in character or expression. “The director occasionally allowed an acerbic tone to an otherwise subtle dialogue.”

Quote Of The Day:
“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”
Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness

Recipe of the Day:

The Perfect Mint Julep Recipe courtesy of Bill Samuels

4 cups bourbon
2 bunches fresh spearmint
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

To prepare mint extract, remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl. Cover with 3 ounces bourbon. Allow the leaves to soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in paper toweling. Thoroughly wring the mint over the bowl of whisky. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.
To prepare simple syrup, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Stir constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.
To prepare mint julep mixture, pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.
Now begin adding the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture. Each batch of mint extract is different, so you must taste and smell after each tablespoon is added. You are looking for a soft mint aroma and taste-generally about 3 tablespoons. When you think it's right, pour the whole mixture back into the empty liter bottle and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to "marry" the flavors.
To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a spring of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.
When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.

Today Is:
Bladder Cancer Awareness Day
Bombshell's Day (Victoria's Secret)
Dandelion Days
Free Comic Book Day
Herb Day
Join Hands Day
Kentucky Derby
National Homebrew Day
National Scrapbooking Day
National Wildfire Community Preparedness Day
No Diet Day
No Homework Day
Nurses Day or National RN Recognition Day
Russel Stover Candies Day
Start Seeing Monarchs Day
World Naked Gardening Day
Beverage Day
National Tourist Appreciation Day

Have a fantastic weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,648,867 times
Hello.

Today’s Questions:
Printed or TV? Tv the oldies but goodies like Foghorn Leghorn. I say, I say.
Grew dill a long time ago.
Nope
Do you like scrapbooking? What do you collect or save from places you have been?
Nope
Do you have a smoke detector? a carbon monoxide detector? a fire extinguisher? Have you checked your batteries?
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.
Do you know any nurses?
Yes.

Extra Credit Questions:
Would you rather donate your body to science or donate your organs to people who need them?
There's a piano keyboard I could let you have.
Relive. Will it be Groundhog Day?
I already have the silver tongue. See?
But my voice is copper. I'd have said tin, but pretty sure Tin Man has that covered.

Would you rather be able to control animals (but not humans) with your mind or control electronics with your mind?
Animals. Maybe we could somehow trick the bad humans so they can't bother anyone anymore.
Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.)
Senator. Thx.
If you don't want the keyboard, there's an acoustic guitar. Think about it and let me know.
Neither!
I'd rather be famous for doing some good.
Would you rather never have to work again or never have to sleep again (you won’t feel tired or suffer negative health effects)?
Never sleep again. Boy, could ya ever get things done!
Would you rather get one free round trip international plane ticket every year or be able to fly domestic anytime for free?
Domestic anytime beats one trip a year.

Bonus Questions:

Watch the Kentucky Derby. I don't know what else.
Smartphones. It's ridiculous.
This and that.
Work smart, not hard.
Bit of both.

Just For Fun:

Outdoor Activity Igloo building
Office Supplies IBM typewriter, didn't say it had to be current
Party Themes Igloos, serve Eskimo pies, play pin the tail on the polar bear
Things You Need A Ticket For International air travel
Vacation Spots Innsbruck, Austria skiing
1980’s Stuff INXS
Electronic Devices I-this, I-that
Actors Ian something?
Things That Smell Bad Ick
Nicknames Iggy

Letter "I" is tough!

Recipe of the Day: The Perfect Mint Julep Recipe

Today Is:
Dandelion Days
Kentucky Derby

Have a fantastic weekend
Yes, ma'am. I say, I say, you too.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:51 PM

126,522 posts, read 19,268,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Today’s Questions:

What were your favorite comics when you were young?....I did not read comics

Have you ever grown any herbs? Which ones?...Fenugreek,cilantro,dill,oregano,chive,basi l,parsley,mint

Have you ever made your own wine, beer or liquor?....No

Do you like scrapbooking? ...YES... What do you collect or save from places you have been?.. Postcards,tickets, souvenirs,photos,labels, menus...

Do you have a smoke detector?...YES... a carbon monoxide detector?...YES... a fire extinguisher? ...YES... Have you checked your batteries?.....YES every time when we have time change

Do you know any nurses?....YES friend of mine and family member

Extra Credit Questions:
Would you rather donate your body to science or donate your organs to people who need them?.... Prefer to donate organs..

Would you rather relive the same day for 365 days or lose a year of your life?...Loose a year of my life

Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue?...

Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.).. NEITHER

Would you rather sell all of your possessions or sell one of your organs?... NEITHER

Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car?.... NEITHER

Would you rather be infamous in history books or be forgotten after your death?...I guess infamous

Would you rather never have to work again or never have to sleep again (you won’t feel tired or suffer negative health effects)?...Have to work again

Would you rather get one free round trip international plane ticket every year or be able to fly domestic anytime for free?.. Internationally

Bonus Questions:

What are you going to do this weekend?... It's pouring so probably indoor stuff

What is something that is popular now that annoys you?..Constant cell phone use in public,texting while walking...

What did you do this past week?... Until the rain arrived I did garden work ,baking among otjer things...

What was the last time you worked incredibly hard?....Last week digging in my garden making the vegetable/ flower beds larger and weeding

Are you very active of do you prefer to just relax in your free time?..Depends on the time and the day or the weather...

Just For Fun:

Outdoor Activity....Ice skating

Office Supplies..INK

Party Themes...Indian Bollywood theme party

Things You Need A Ticket For....Indian art show

Vacation Spots.... Innsbruck/Austria

1980’s Stuff

Electronic Devices... iPad

Actors...Jeromy Irons

Things That Smell Bad......Inside a drain

Nicknames...Izzy

Today’s Word:
Acerbic adj. Sharp or biting, as in character or expression. “The director occasionally allowed an acerbic tone to an otherwise subtle dialogue.”

Quote Of The Day:
“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”

Recipe of the Day:

4 cups bourbon
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

To prepare mint extract, remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl. Cover with 3 ounces bourbon. Allow the leaves to soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in paper toweling. Thoroughly wring the mint over the bowl of whisky. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.
To prepare simple syrup, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Stir constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.
To prepare mint julep mixture, pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.
Now begin adding the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture. Each batch of mint extract is different, so you must taste and smell after each tablespoon is added. You are looking for a soft mint aroma and taste-generally about 3 tablespoons. When you think it's right, pour the whole mixture back into the empty liter bottle and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to "marry" the flavors.
To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a spring of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.
When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.

....Sounds good

Today Is:
Dandelion Days
Free Comic Book Day
Herb Day
Join Hands Day
Kentucky Derby
National Homebrew Day
No Diet Day
No Homework Day
Beverage Day

Have a fantastic weekend
THANK YOU Lisa and good night

Old 05-05-2017, 08:35 PM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Today’s Questions:

Archie, Little Lulu, Donald Duck
I have tried to grow herbs, but the climate here isn't very hospitable. Right now my parsley is on its last legs.
I made homemade Kahlua once. It wasn't as good as store-bought.
No, I have never done scrapbooking. I do have an old scrapbook full of theater programs, newspaper articles, ticket stubs and so forth, but I stopped maintaining it years ago and just keep mementos in boxes.
We have all three. Normally we replace the batteries when they start to chirp. The fire extinguisher is over 30 years old and almost certainly needs to be replaced.
Do you know any nurses?
My closest friend has an R.N. degree, but she also has a Ph.D. in Psychology and considers herself more a psychologist than a nurse. She is retired and has let her licenses lapse.

Extra Credit Questions:
Either would be fine.
Lose a day.
Golden voice.
I'd like to be able to control electronics with my mind. Then it wouldn't matter if Mr. Bay has an iron grip on the TV remote (which he usually does).
Neither! I am not well-suited for either job.
I might consider donating a kidney or part of a liver, but not selling them.
I'll take the automated home because I like driving.
It doesn't really matter if I'm dead, does it? No preference.
I'd rather never have to work again and sleep as much as I want to, which is exactly the way things are now.
I don't like to fly, so neither.

Bonus Questions:

Post QOTD for Sunday; go to the gym; putter around the house; watch TV.
Rap
Nothing special. Just the usual housework, cooking, gym visits, reading, watching TV and internet surfing.
Two weeks ago I spent some time weeding in the back yard.
I'm basically a lap dog.

Just For Fun:

Outdoor Activity Ice skating

Office Supplies Ink

Party Themes India

Things You Need A Ticket For Idmission

Vacation Spots Islands

1980’s Stuff INXS

Electronic Devices iPhones

Actors Ingrid Bergman

Things That Smell Bad Indigent street people

Nicknames Iggy

Thanks, ylisa!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times
Today’s Questions:
Funny I didn't spend time reading the comics in the newspaper. But I would buy a Casper The Ghost comic book once in a while.
No
No
No,,, I can't even get my photo album put together..............
Yes, however the fire extinguisher is very old......
Do you know any nurses?
Yes a couple who have retired and are friends with Mrs Aks.

Extra Credit Questions:
If my organs (any of them) can go to someone then fine, and if science and use the rest of me all the better.
{Time stood still) So far the first 100 days have gone by so I guess I can stick it out a while longer.
Silver tongue.
Electronics - I can think of some amazing things that could be done to change issues.
Senator, I can think of a number of things that need fixing.
Ok, how about a kidney sold for $20Million
A completely automated motor-home that was self-driving.
Forgotten.
No sleeping is ok.
Domestic anytime for free.
Bonus Questions:

Relaxing and getting things ready for a trip later next week.
Cellphones and drivers who continue to use them ..........
Several appointment at the doctor's office, some yard cleaning, and a little organizing.
work slow and steady without making it hard.
not too active and always willing to relax.

Just For Fun:

Outdoor Activity ice cream eating.
Office Supplies Ink pens
Party Themes Ice for drinks.
Things You Need A Ticket For improper parking
Vacation Spots Indianapolis 500 race
1980’s Stuff I don't know
Electronic Devices Iphone
Actors Isabella Kai Rice
Things That Smell Bad Impala
Nicknames Ike

Recipe of the Day: The Perfect Mint Julep Recipe

Today Is:
Dandelion Days
Kentucky Derby

Have a fantastic weekend

Last edited by AksarbeN; 05-05-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,877,050 times
Hello and Happy Friday Night/Saturday Yay!!

Today’s Questions:

What were your favorite comics when you were young? I don't remember having any favorites.

Have you ever grown any herbs? Which ones? Rosemary, different kinds of basil, thyme, and mint, chives, oregano, sage

Have you ever made your own wine, beer or liquor? I've made kahlua.

Do you like scrapbooking? What do you collect or save from places you have been? I've made books and cards, but never did scrapbooking.

Do you have a smoke detector? a carbon monoxide detector? a fire extinguisher? Have you checked your batteries? Two smoke detectors and two CO detectors

Do you know any nurses? Do.... One of my students who struggled with dyslexia is now a RN. She is the most motivated, hard working person I know. Very proud of her!

Extra Credit Questions:
Would you rather donate your body to science or donate your organs to people who need them? Wow.... Hm. Donating to science could help save many people, but then..... Something to think about.

Would you rather relive the same day for 365 days or lose a year of your life? Can I choose the day?

Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue? I've always wanted to sing.... well.

Would you rather be able to control animals (but not humans) with your mind or control electronics with your mind? Not interested in controlling either.

Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.) Without any more knowledge..... neither.

Would you rather sell all of your possessions or sell one of your organs? Possessions..... Oh, but there are organs you can live without, so maybe...

Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car? Automated home....

Would you rather never have to work again or never have to sleep again (you won’t feel tired or suffer negative health effects)? After over forty years of teaching...... I'll choose work.

Would you rather get one free round trip international plane ticket every year or be able to fly domestic anytime for free? I like flying in small planes where I can sit beside the pilot, but don't like commercial flight.

Bonus Questions:
What are you going to do this weekend? Tonight I went to a dance my six year old granddaughter was in. Tomorrow I'll go to buy small gifts for two grands who will have dance recitals next weekend and Sunday I will spend the day doing paperwork for students getting extended year services (summer school) and revising IEPs for kids transitioning to the middle school. I might reward myself by going to a favorite ice cream place that just reopened for the summer.

What is something that is popular now that annoys you? People attached to tech devices.....

What did you do this past week? Taught Monday through Friday. Had to buy a new hot water heater..... Waiting for the bill.

What was the last time you worked incredibly hard? This past week. I always feel I've accomplished something at the end of each school day though.

Are you very active of do you prefer to just relax in your free time? Some of each. I like doing more physical work; being outside when I can on weekends.

Just For Fun:

Outdoor Activity Ice skating

Office Supplies ink

Party Themes Ingenuity

Things You Need A Ticket For Instrumental Performance

Vacation Spots A friend just got back from vacationing in Ireland

1980’s Stuff

Electronic Devices iPad

Actors Irons, Jeremy

Things That Smell Bad Industrial smog

Nicknames Itty Bitty

Today’s Word:

Quote Of The Day:

Have a fantastic weekend You too, Lisa!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times

Today’s Questions:

Fantastic Four, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman....
Bay (laurel), Dill, Basil....
Not me but I know who has.
I sort of save stuff for it but may never do it.

Do you know any nurses?

Extra Credit Questions:

May depend on whether it was a good or bad year.

No knowledge necessary...
Gee.... can't imagine having to make that bizarre decision.

I prefer keeping my feet on the ground and in the driver's seat.

Bonus Questions:

Nothing.... maybe babysit the gkids a few hours.
Today's so-called music. Especially rap of any kind. Zombie noise!
Too many things to mention here.
All my life.
Some of each.

Today’s Word:

Quote Of The Day:

Today Is:
Dandelion Days
Free Comic Book Day
Herb Day
Join Hands Day
Kentucky Derby
National Homebrew Day
No Diet Day
No Homework Day
Beverage Day

Have a fantastic weekend
Thanks Lisa! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-05-2017 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,253,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7;ylisa48060835

Today’s Questions:

What were your favorite comics when you were young? Blonde

Have you ever grown any herbs?Yes Which ones?Parsley,chives,peppermint,spearmint may have been more but that is all I remember

Have you ever made your own wine, beer or liquor?No

Do you like scrapbooking? What do you collect or save from places you have been?Not familiar with scrapbooking

Do you have a smoke detector? a carbon monoxide detector? Have you checked your batteries? Yes

Do you know any nurses? Not personally

Extra Credit Questions:
Would you rather donate your body to science or donate your organs to people who need them?I am afraid these old organs would not bemuch use

Would you rather relive the same day for 365 days or lose a year of your life?That would depend on which day it was..

Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car?Really don't want either.

Bonus Questions:

What are you going to do this weekend?Work

What did you do this past week? Worked, attended grand Daughter's birthday party

What was the last time you worked incredibly hard? Last month..Trimmed dead branches out of my pine trees

Quote Of The Day:

Recipe of the Day:

4 cups bourbon
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately. Sound good.. But I willstick with something simpler thankyou

Today Is:
Dandelion Days
Free Comic Book Day
Herb Day
Join Hands Day
Kentucky Derby
National Homebrew Day
No Diet Day
No Homework Day
Beverage Day

Have a fantastic weekend

Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 PM

39,220 posts, read 23,199,902 times
Today’s Questions:

What were your favorite comics when you were young? Peanuts

Have you ever grown any herbs? Which ones? Basil, thyme and rosemary.

Have you ever made your own wine, beer or liquor? No, I don't do alcohol.

Do you like scrapbooking? What do you collect or save from places you have been? Never tried it. Looks like it would appeal more to women.

Do you have a smoke detector? a carbon monoxide detector? a fire extinguisher? Have you checked your batteries? Yes to all except for the fire extinguisher.

Do you know any nurses? Yes, one of my sisters is a nurse, plus other family members and a few others I know.

Extra Credit Questions:

Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.) At the state level but not my home state.

Would you rather sell all of your possessions or sell one of your organs? There's more where those came from.

Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car? Neither

Bonus Questions:
What are you going to do this weekend? Watch a movie I rented or read. The weather is supposed to be cooler and possibly rainy.

What is something that is popular now that annoys you? People's faces buried in their cell phones.

What did you do this past week? Work mostly.

What was the last time you worked incredibly hard? That's every day.

Are you very active or do you prefer to just relax in your free time? Nowadays relaxing is what I look forward to.

Have a great weekend. Happy Saturday!

Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Good morning all from a cloudy, cool northern England. We had sun the last few days...... I knew it was too good to last.

Some interesting questions today Lisa, as usual, coming from you. Let's go.......

My favourite comics when I was very young were American DC comics. I loved anything to do with Superman. I wasn't bothered much about Batman, Green Lantern, and stuff like that. But Superman, Lois Lane and the rest, I just loved it. Later on, I moved to Marvel comics. Spiderman being my favourite.

I used to keep Scrapbooks on Raquel Welch in the late 60s. I lost them somehow in the early 70s when I was in the army.

I do have a smoke detector fixed to the wall on the stairs. I do check the battery regularly.

I have both a golden voice, and a silver tongue...........

I want to be totally forgotten after my death. The one thing I have learned in this life, is that we don't count for much, no matter how important we think we are.

This weekend will be spent visiting my wife's mother in the care home, and just relaxing otherwise. I do relaxing quite well.

Something that is popular now that annoys me? Tattoos. I think they are just horribly disfiguring. I recognise folks right to do what they want to their bodies, and it's none of my business...... but you asked Lisa, so I told y'all!!

The last time I worked incredibly hard? It's such a long time ago, I can't remember!!

Have a great weekend all........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics