Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM

678 posts, read 442,423 times

Advertisements

Much too often, too many others (a-dults, fellow students, coworkers, friends, etc) tell a child, & older
"That can't be done, & you can't do it!. No way, no how. Impossible !" --> Well, this discussion is *your opportunity* to share...when foolish nay-sayers you proved wrong. -- All benefit from more positive/constructive YES-sayers & achievers. share ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:10 AM

Wow, I started this discussion 2 months ago, yet no-one has anything to add?

Okay let me begin. - Watch this The Film Surely you know 1000's of people Iceskate maybe even *you* it is also 1 of my passions
Now why share this here?
Because it is an unfortunately too common belief (& belief is all that it boils down to) that we can only do, & enjoy activities, for so many years,
before that thing called 'age' stops us. - So Yvonne Dowlen proved..., as have many many others in their passions,
that 'age'??, pfft. Forget that! - Instead, live Thankful... for every blessed day you are on earth, & make every moment count for good, & choose what you enjoy. iow, live each day to the fullest, as did Yvonne so you may know some who die as centenarian, but how many do you know who at age 90 still compete 4x in their passion...

Have you yet proven something else, that others insist is "impossible"?

I have. And what about you?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,199,800 times
Well, I decided to jump in but after typing a paragraph or so it all vanished. This must be what happens with age. I'm considering giving it another shot.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 AM

In my teen years I could roller skate pretty darn good. Hadn't skated all the years since then. Three or 4 years ago I went with my daughter and my two Grand daughters to a roller skating rink. I was a bit awkward and not very sure footed but in a short time I was zooming around the floor pretty good. I must have been 62 or so then. In 2014 we all went to L.A. and went ice skating for our first time. It's harder than roller skating. Heck of a lot colder too! We scooted around the floor with our helper things. I could manage to work my way around the floor but it was very tricky.

I don't know if I surprise anyone jumping in and doing these things. I just want to so I do. My back is giving me fits and if I were to make it to my 80's my back wouldn't.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
In my teen years I could roller skate pretty darn good.
Hadn't skated all the years since then. 4 years ago I went with my daughter and my two Grand daughters to a roller skating rink. I was a bit awkward and not very sure footed but in a short time I was zooming around the floor pretty good. I must have been 62 or so then.
In 2014 we all went to L.A. and went ice skating for our first time. It's harder than roller skating. Heck of a lot colder too!
We scooted around the floor with our helper things. I could manage to work my way around the floor but it was very tricky.

I don't know if I surprise anyone jumping in and doing these things. I just want to so I do.
My back is giving me fits and if I were to make it to my 80's my back wouldn't.
Good for you SATX56. Trying new things (no matter the age). What you proved to yourself
is that your subconscious mind still had all these Good memories saved in case you wanted to again enjoy all this FUN...
Even as others have done so before you, *you* too are a winner

Btw, (as I got to try neither as a younger child) roller-skating was alot harder, than Iceskating because you move on a solid blade.
whereas
Rollerskating to me felt like I was on a bag of marbles, with them all moving in opposite directions, &
I yelled like most people on skates the 1st. time "God, I want to live!!" LOL
=

Speaking of living... have you ever helped someone or several people choose new to them beliefs that improved their life greatly... ?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Thanks 2 Rainbows. I like showing the gkids I can still do things. I started to say that Ice skating is probably harder to get use to but likely easier after you've learned how. I know that roller skates can vary greatly as far as maintenance. I recall being picky about them and returning rentals a few times. I did own my own at one time.

I've always tried to be a good example to others. Sometimes I've failed ...but I try.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Thanks 2 Rainbows.

I've always tried to be a good example to others. Sometimes I've failed ...but I try.
Thanks for engaging the conversation SATX56.
Well, thank goodness that 'perfection' is not on our plate, ever.
We can make mistakes, & try again... of which you are a good example

by way of speaking to the last question, & one of the ways we can *make the difference*:
(psychologists & psychiatrists are all about mental illness.
Like having challenges & issues is a disease, that is very difficult to deal with, lasts a life-time, &
the 'normal' way to treat, is drugs, & more drugs, or worse ECt, or even worse lobotomy.)

But there are many 1000's of people who help others quickly, easily, & pain-free, to become more successful...
re "have you helped someone choose new to them beliefs that improved their life greatly... ? "
I took some courses in human-change, and
in one the final test was facilitating a person's change, their behavior significantly, & do this in one hour
The man was angry...
he had existed for years that way, decades even, & no amount of 'normal therapy nor drugs' helped,
it didn't even slow him down. - And then
the issues generalized to more areas of his life, until that anger consumed him, & he lost jobs, & relationships, & in his consuming rage he was at his wit's end.
At that juncture I was introduced.

So I asked him a few questions, & proceeded to engage him in role-play, & pretending, & imagining different ways of behaving, until --- he allowed himself to change. He changed into the kind of person he had wanted to be, and now knew he can change. And we did this together in an hour. He left thankful & genuinely smiling. When I encountered him a year later, he was soo happy still, & enjoying his newly-found life...

Truthfully we can all change, sometimes in the twinkling of an eye. It is our opportunity to discover how...

How have you too enjoyed helping people enjoy their life more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics