Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

An Italian, Scotsman and Chinaman are hired at a construction site.

The foreman points out a huge pile of sand and says to the Italian guy, 'You're in charge of sweeping.'

To the Scotsman he says, 'You're in charge of shoveling.'

And to the Chinaman, 'You're in charge of supplies.'

He then says, 'Now, I have to leave for a little while. I expect you guys to make a dent in that there pile.'

So the foreman goes away for a couple hours and when he returns, the pile of sand is untouched.

He asks the Italian, 'Why didn't you sweep any of it?'

The Italian replies, 'I no hava no broom. You saida to the Chinesa fella that he a wasa in a charge of supplies, but he hasa disappeared and I no coulda finda him nowhere.'

Then the foreman turns to the Scotsman and says, 'And you, I thought I told you to shovel this pile.'

The Scotsman replies, 'Aye, ye did lad, boot ah couldnay get meself a shoovel! Ye left th' Chinese gadgie in chairge of supplies, boot ah couldnayfin' him either.'

The foreman is really angry now and storms off toward the pile of sand to look for the Chinese guy ...Just then, the Chinaman leaps out from behind the pile of sand and yells...

'SUPPLIES!!'

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-04-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Good one. I like surprise's

Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
ha, funny

What's Bruce Lee's favorite drink?

wataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

On a more serious note: Mcgowdog - I know this was a joke and I believe the joke was totally innocent but as a person of Chinese decent, I feel that it is my obligation to inform you, and whoever reading this that the term "Chinamen" is a derrogatory, antiquated term used in the 19th century of the first generations of Chinese who moved here to work the mines. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it in case some are offended that I was offended (although I am not offended) but I do believe it should be recognized that it can be offensive and in in everyday vernacular, the term should not be used. People, don't go up to your Asian co-worker and call him/her a Chinamen or say this joke with the term around the Asian individual. Just giving people a heads up.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Well let me try this again.

My dad is an immigrant from Ireland. He feels like there was a time when the "people from China" and the "people from Ireland" were treated pretty second rate and forced to do manual labor.

You can call me an Irishman. I have no problem with that.

What we need is a list of PC descriptions of how to catagorize people without offending them.

The list would be long. I know that.

Theres a thread on here about blonde jokes. I think some are offensive, others are not.

Some jokes are VERY offensive. Others, somewhat.

If we can't make fun of how people talk, we lose a lot of jokes.

What's it gonna be?

How tight are we gonna run this ship?

You know what, I think Foma is right. The description of the Chinese person in the joke is antiquated and there could certainly be another more PC term for it. I don't know what it is. Perhaps Asian. I'd change it if I could, but how do you change a thread heading?

Why don't we just delete the whole joke? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 PM

I totally agree McGowdog. Even if we made a list, we'd still be offending somebody, I'm sure. I think for the Chinese, the term "Chinaman" was, as you also put it, so intertwined with the labeling of "second class citizen" that it has been a hard pill to swallow. Perhaps it is cultural differences that has left the term so repulsive for Chinese Americans. Instead of being "proud" and taking control of the word, we have shunned it in disgrace. Unfortunately, it is the underlying meaning that continues to resonate, even today.

Also, I think because there are a lot of different types of Asians out there and the non-Chinese take offense to being bunched up. The term was used in the 19th century as just a "generic term" for all Asians, because mainly those that immigrated here were from China. Just 'cuz we have black hair and brown eyes doesn't mean that we're all from China.

If you ever take notice in movies and how the word is used in context, it's almost always associated with some sort of derrogatory tone whereas the term "Irishman", per say, is associated with more positive tones. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. There was a Seinfeld episode back in the 90s that used the term "Chinaman" as part of the joke. A lot of activists were so offended that NBC changed the title of the episode (or something along those lines). I, personally, would not be offended but I think I also have a higher tolerance than most who understand the meaning behind the word.

Obviously, for me, it's all how the word is used in context. I just wanted to "warn" people and to note, for the record, that the term should not be used in everyday vernacular. Maybe somebody didn't know and now he/she does. It is understanding differeneces in culture that, I think, can make us all live in peace together a litte better.

Just my two cents and again, I didn't take offense to your joke, at all, but just felt it was necessary to add a little "footnote".

Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM

Understood.

But I'm still confused. Are you saying that Asian is offensive too?

That would be like calling an Irishman a European, wouldn't it? I don't see where that offends, honestly.

I think that part of the reason that an Irishman can laugh at the drunk jokes and the rotten boiled potato jokes is because they/we say, "What the heck! We gotta take our own like everybody else. If you can't laugh at yourself..."

Saying that you weren't personally offended does not get me off the hook at all. I still feel pretty low that I would offend a huge group of people.

I wouldn't like someone coming up to me and saying "Hey, look at that Caucasion." So I can see your point.

But is this a matter of honor and humiliation, political correctness, etc?

I'm sorry. I'm offended by the term "Red-headed Step child", but welcome to planet earth.

I still say that we should just delete the whole thread and I'll never ever post a joke of racial content here again.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Well, I'm Polish...but anyway, maybe if it were worded just a little differently, an Italian man, a Scottish man and a Chinese man? I think if you ask a moderator they can make changes for you, if you send one a direct message.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM

How about just a lesson learned.

This is good.

To be honest, if I was telling a joke I'd say it a certain way. If I was referring to a co-worker, I'd speak a different way. It's not right. PCness has it's good points.

I was the youngest of 4. I was picked on. Boy, was I picked on. When I turned 15, I knocked my bully brother on his can. Again, when we were both drunk in a bar, he tried to go Chuck Norris on me with a pool cue. I busted his knee. He outweighed me by about 100 pounds. Now he's my boss.

It's no fun to pick on people who have a hard time defending themselves. I do know that.

Maybe this is a good "forum" to get this idea out to the world. My ego doesn't like it, but somewhere in my conscience I know what's right and wrong and I was wrong.

Here's something that I've noticed; Some races in this world have a name. Our 5 (or is it 7?) continents have names too. There isn't a continent named Caucasia, but there IS one named Asia. There is also one named Africa. This is part of the problem.

I used to work for a medical manufacturing company in Denver. A lot of employees that I worked with were from Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, etc. I could tell the difference from people from Korea, Viet Nam, China, Japan, Israel, Egypt, Russia, etc. My friend Sun was from Korea and she was a kick in the pants. She used to call me Young Punk. We would celebrate our differences. I would help some of the assemblers bridge the gap from assembly to the Technical Services Dept. They may have lacked skills to answer phones from some of our clients in the States, but they were very useful as technicians for finished goods or as enterpreters with our other Asian clients. I think America has made great strides on this over the last 15 years.

This one guy I worked with was from Poland. He was one of the smartest and hard working guys I've ever worked with. Go figure!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But I'm still confused. Are you saying that Asian is offensive too?
I believe "Asian" is the PC term used nowadays.

Quote:
That would be like calling an Irishman a European, wouldn't it? I don't see where that offends, honestly.
I see your point! My husband, who is Irish, I'm sure considers himself an "Irish laddy" vs. "European". Usually when labeling race, y'all pick "White"; we pick "Asian". Just as a Korean wouldn't appreciate to be called "Chinese", the French wouldn't like to be called "English". I think that's one of the reasons why "Chinaman" strikes a chord with some people.

Quote:
If you can't laugh at yourself..."
Agreed ... but the problem is, the term is usually used not to "laugh it yourself" but rather to be "laughed at".

Quote:
Saying that you weren't personally offended does not get me off the hook at all. I still feel pretty low that I would offend a huge group of people.
I'm sure most would not be offended. It is the context in which it was used.

Quote:
But is this a matter of honor and humiliation, political correctness, etc?
You know, I think it has to do with "all of the above".

Quote:
I'm sorry. I'm offended by the term "Red-headed Step child", but welcome to planet earth.
You and my husband both. He WAS the red-headed step child!

Quote:
I still say that we should just delete the whole thread and I'll never ever post a joke of racial content here again.
It was funny! I don't think it needs to be deleted. My concern was just someone reads it, thinks its funny and tells the joke at work which can ultimately have the potential of p issing someobdy off.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Well, I'm Polish...but anyway, maybe if it were worded just a little differently, an Italian man, a Scottish man and a Chinese man? I think if you ask a moderator they can make changes for you, if you send one a direct message.
Nah, that's probably not necessary. It's nice to see how accommodating you guys have been though! The last time I "spoke up", somebody got really angry at me!! The dialogue thus far has been professional and civilized. That in it of itself is enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics