Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 AM

4,867 posts, read 3,698,778 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then! I realized they were smarter than me.

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all? Mother said "Make your own security"....how true and powerful this was, said to a young girl.

Bonus Question(s):
Tonight's storms brought me to this question.
Do you have any of the following close at hand in your home in case you'd have to leave the house in an emergency:
flashlight? Yes
batteries? Yes
first-aid kit? Yes
extra food/water set aside? Yes
extra clothing packed? No
extra pet supplies if you have pets?
Yes
B]other?[/b] A GENERATOR!

Just For Fun:
From where you are sitting right now, can you see:
an animal (either real or a representation)?
a pair of shoes?
something to write with and write on?
mail?
something made by you or someone in your house?
something that once belonged to someone else?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1968 NBC's unprecedented on-air announcement, Star Trek will return
Birthday: 1914 Ralph Ellison, American author (literature & fiction, politics, nonfiction) (d. Apr 16, 1994)
Science: 2015 Astronauts at the International Space Station complete a tricky cable installation project to prepare for addition of docking ports; the ports will be able to receive manned commercial space capsules such as those launched by SpaceX and Boeing
Sports: 1972 Wilt Chamberlain is 1st NBA player to score 30,000 points

Today’s Word:
jury-rig
Pronunciation: (JOOR-ee rig)
Meaning: verb tr.: To assemble or fix temporarily using whatever is at hand.
Etymology: On a sailing ship, a jury-mast is a temporary mast, rigged when the original is damaged or lost. From jury (makeshift or temporary), perhaps from Old French ajurie (help).
Earliest documented use: 1840.

Today is:
Ash Wednesday
Horse Protection Day
National Fruit Compote Day
National Pig Day
Peanut Butter Lover's Day
Plan A Solo Vacation Day
Refired, Not Retired Day https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/refired-not-retired-day/
World Compliment Day

Quote of the Day:
"Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat." ~ Ralph Ellison ~
Thanx everyone! Have a good day! [/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM

44,477 posts, read 20,283,433 times
Mornin' all!

Wow! It was stormy as I was putting this together. We just finished round three of three. We're currently under a tornado watch until 4:00am. In February! Some of the Chicago area has been hit pretty hard. Please hold them in your thoughts. I can attest to that bad weather. Tornadoes destroyed some communities west of where PatsCats and I live. The storms were bad here, but nothing like what they had over the state line in Illinois. One of my co-workers got caught in a hail storm last night and her entire car is dented. She felt fortunate to get home safely, though the car didn't fare as well as she.

Time now to pause for a moment and relax with your favorite morning beverage and today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then! True!

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all? I always felt that my dad knew everything there was to know. He was a very intelligent man and knew so much about nature, industry, building things, car repairs and more. We never once had a repair man at our house because Dad could build or fix anything. He did all the engine work on his car, fixed major appliances when they broke down, reroofed the house, built two bedrooms on the 2nd floor of our house, finished the basement of our house and turned it into a beautiful family room - including a fireplace, entertainment center, bar and furniture (all self-designed and built). He had ready answers any time I asked a question about nature or something scientific. He also was a wonderful artist (landscapes and portraits) and had a beautiful singing voice. Dad sure was gifted with a lot of talent!

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any of the following close at hand in your home in case you'd have to leave the house in an emergency:
flashlight? Yes. I had mine next to me during the storms last night.
batteries? Yepper.
first-aid kit? A small one, yes.
extra food/water set aside? Nothing set aside in case of emergency.
extra clothing packed? Nope.
extra pet supplies if you have pets? Nope.
other?

Just For Fun:
an animal (either real or a representation)? Yes. I have a little plus Labrador retriever on my desk. My boss gave one to everyone in the office. The little dog looks like my boss' seeing eye dog.
a pair of shoes? Two pairs: the one I'm wearing and a pair of tennies under my desk.
something to write with and write on? Yep. Tablets and 3 pens, 1 pencil and two highlighters.
mail? Nope.
something made by you or someone in your house? Yes.
something that once belonged to someone else? Nope.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1968 NBC's unprecedented on-air announcement, Star Trek will return
Birthday: 1914 Ralph Ellison, American author (literature & fiction, politics, nonfiction) (d. Apr 16, 1994)
Science: 2015 Astronauts at the International Space Station complete a tricky cable installation project to prepare for addition of docking ports; the ports will be able to receive manned commercial space capsules such as those launched by SpaceX and Boeing
Sports: 1972 Wilt Chamberlain is 1st NBA player to score 30,000 points Holy mackerel! That's a LOT of points! I always liked Wilt the Stilt.

Today’s Word:
jury-rig
Etymology: On a sailing ship, a jury-mast is a temporary mast, rigged when the original is damaged or lost. From jury (makeshift or temporary), perhaps from Old French ajurie (help).
Interesting. I'd heard this term a number of times but never saw it in writing. I thought people were saying "Jerry rig." I did know the meaning, from context.

Today is:
Ash Wednesday The beginning of Lent.
Horse Protection Day Horses are nice.
National Fruit Compote Day I like it.
National Pig Day Yay! Piggies are cool!
Peanut Butter Lover's Day Yum. I don't have it often, but I do love it.
Plan A Solo Vacation Day I haven't been on a solo vacation for several years. It'll be a while before I have another.
Refired, Not Retired Day https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/refired-not-retired-day/
World Compliment Day PatsCats, you're the cat's meow!

Quote of the Day:
"Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat." ~ Ralph Ellison ~
Thanx everyone! Have a good day! Happy hum day! Yay!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,258,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Wow! It was stormy as I was putting this together. We just finished round three of three. We're currently under a tornado watch until 4:00am. In February! Some of the Chicago area has been hit pretty hard. Please hold them in your thoughts.
Glad you are safe. I don't remember all these tornados when I was young.

Time now to pause for a moment and relax with your favorite morning beverage and today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then!

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all?
My Aunt had a high position in a bank personnel depf and ran our church office as a volunteer.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight? No. WE have gotten in the habit of using our cell phones for light.
batteries? No
first-aid kit?Yes
extra food/water set aside?
extra clothing packed?No but we could grab that quickly
extra pet supplies if you have pets? Better supplied for tham than us

Just For Fun:

Yes 3 dogs
a pair of shoes?
Yes On my feet
something to write with and write on?
No
mail?
No
something made by you or someone in your house?
Yes
something that once belonged to someone else?
Yes

Today in History:

Not being a ProBasketball fan I really don't care.

Today’s Word:
jury-rig
I forgot that use of the word and read it jury rig as in someone "fixing" a criminal jury. Too much TV I guess.

Today is:
Ash Wednesday

Quote of the Day:
Those were the good old days

Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,932,918 times
Today's Question(s):

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all? My high school music teacher wrote a musical that we performed several times for our community. I thought he was surely going to be recognized by the world as the new Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein!

flashlight?
batteries?
first-aid kit?
extra clothing packed?
I could lay my hands on most everything on your list but I don't have them set aside.

an animal (either real or a representation)? Yes.
a pair of shoes? Nope.
something to write with and write on? Yep.
mail? Nope.
something made by you or someone in your house? Yes -- a ceramic "monster".
something that once belonged to someone else? Yes - a small painting by a friend.

Thanks PC and happy day everyone!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,513,537 times
Wow! It was stormy as I was putting this together. We just finished round three of three. We're currently under a tornado watch until 4:00am. In February! Some of the Chicago area has been hit pretty hard. Please hold them in your thoughts. Will do. There's nothing fun about tornadoes.

http://s6.tinypic.com/faqvpu_th.jpg

Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then! http://s5.tinypic.com/o870cz_th.jpg

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all? As a kid I always hung out around the adults. If not smarter they sure were more interesting.

Actually as a kid I thought my dad was pretty dumb until I grew up and learned I would never catch up to his smartness.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight? Several of them.
batteries? Rechargeable and alkaline.
first-aid kit? Yes.
extra food/water set aside? No.
extra clothing packed? No.
extra pet supplies if you have pets? No.
other? One of the things I had to rebuild after we bought this old farm was the top of a very sturdy cinder block underground storm cellar. We're only in trouble if Graboids come to west Texas because (1) I don't own an elephant gun and (2) we don't seem to have tornadoes anymore. (Insert "Knock on Wood" icon here.)

Just For Fun: http://s5.tinypic.com/1zcjne0_th.jpg http://s6.tinypic.com/2822e8h_th.jpg http://s5.tinypic.com/n5oj1t_th.jpg
an animal (either real or a representation)? No.
a pair of shoes? Yes.
something to write with and write on? Yes.
mail? Yes.
something made by you or someone in your house? Yes.
something that once belonged to someone else? Yes.

Stay safe up there in Lincoln Land.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,335,925 times
[quote=PatsCats;47358145]Mornin' all!

Wow! It was stormy as I was putting this together. We just finished round three of three. We're currently under a tornado watch until 4:00am. In February! Some of the Chicago area has been hit pretty hard. Please hold them in your thoughts.

Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then!

Not really, you knew more than a few were fools because other Grown Ups said they were...and put a fatal crack in the whole business. They were smart - but not infallible.

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all?

None, I guess, because some people had terrific jobs or skills, but couldn't find their way around the corner otherwise....and then, of course, all that Grown Up pssst-pssst about other people in town.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight?
batteries?
first-aid kit?
extra clothing packed?
other? My undershorts. The only hint of a major problem in the past seventeen years have been earthquakes, the largest one about two or three a.m.. I want to be a decent corpse or not a damned old fool running through the streets away from the big buildings.

Just For Fun:
an animal (either real or a representation)? seagulls
a pair of shoes? No
something to write with and write on? a pad and a cup of pens and pencils
mail? No
something made by you or someone in your house? Yes, a small painting by an aunt.
something that once belonged to someone else? Yes, a glass paperweight shaped like an apple that belonged to my best friend.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
jury-rig

Today is:
Ash Wednesday
Horse Protection Day
National Fruit Compote Day
National Pig Day
Peanut Butter Lover's Day
Plan A Solo Vacation Day
World Compliment Day

Quote of the Day:
Thanx everyone! Have a good day!

And thank you!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today's Question(s):

"You'll never get a job, if you don't learn how to type."

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight?
yes
batteries? yes
first-aid kit? no
extra food/water set aside? no
extra clothing packed? no
extra pet supplies if you have pets? n/a

Just For Fun:
Do gargoyles count?
a pair of shoes? yes
something to write with and write on? yes
mail? yes
something made by you or someone in your house? yes
something that once belonged to someone else? no

Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM

24,697 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today's Question(s):
True dat.

My step dad never was schooled past the 7th grade. He was a machinist that involved lots of math from algebra to trig. He was my go to person when I had a problem (which was often) that I couldn't figure out.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight?many
batteries?lots of these
first-aid kit?not a kit, but lots of supplies
extra food/water set aside?yep
extra clothing packed?not really
extra pet supplies if you have pets?kinda sorta, lots of canned tuna.
other?there is a camping trailer in the driveway with AC, heater and generator, oh and cash and meds.

Just For Fun:
an animal (either real or a representation)?Yep
a pair of shoes?On my feet.
something to write with and write on?It looks like office Depot here.
mail?Nope
something made by you or someone in your house?Yep, hutch and dining table.
something that once belonged to someone else?Some old books.

Thanx PatsCats, be safe.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,813,180 times
Today's Question(s):
As a kid I learned that some adults said one thing, others said another thing. Could they both be right? Could they both be wrong? When my 8th grade teacher said something I knew was incorrect I learned that sometimes it was wiser to keep your mouth shut.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight?
batteries?
first-aid kit?
extra clothing packed?
other? I know where everything is

Just For Fun:
an animal (either real or a representation)? tropical fish on the pad I use so I won't mark up my dining table
a pair of shoes? several pairs of shoes by the back door
something to write with and write on? pen and several pads
mail? nope
something made by you or someone in your house? Quite a few things made by me
something that once belonged to someone else? Several things I inherited from my mother

Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times
Today's Question(s):
When you were a kid, adults seemed so very smart. Then you became and adult yourself, and realized how naïve you were back then! My father died a violent death when I was 10. I had to take over as the man of the house then, with helping my mother raise a younger brother and sister. I grew up fast.

But seriously now, what is something an adult did or said, or maybe the kind of job they had, that made you think they knew it all? I always knew it all.

Bonus Question(s):
flashlight? One in every room.
batteries? Bunches.
first-aid kit? Somewhere.
extra food/water set aside? Yep.
extra clothing packed? Nope, will leave with the shirt on my back as they say.
extra pet supplies if you have pets? n/a
other? Car keys and cell phone.

Just For Fun:
an animal (either real or a representation)? Yes the spouse.
a pair of shoes? Yes on the feets.
something to write with and write on? Lots of pen and paper.
mail? A minor recall notice.
something made by you or someone in your house? Many photos.
something that once belonged to someone else? A 1930's autographed MLB baseball when my grandfather played in the major leagues. Also a 1932 Kodak camera my mother once owned.
pc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics