Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 PM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 26, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who share your birthday are singers Johnny Cash, Michael Bolton and Erykah Badu; author Victor Hugo; rockers Fats Domino and Mitch Ryder; TV comedy legend Jackie Gleason; showman Buffalo Bill Cody; actor Tony Randall; actress (and celebrity daughter) Jennifer Grant and Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? What do you do, and how often do you do it?

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try?

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad?

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called?

Today in History
1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from the Island of Elba. He then begins his second conquest of France.
1848 - The second French Republic is proclaimed.
1863 - U.S. President Lincoln signs the National Currency Act.
1870 - In New York City, the first pneumatic-powered subway line is opened to the public. (Beach Pneumatic Transit)
1881 - S.S. Ceylon begins its world-wide cruise, beginning in Liverpool, England.
1907 - The U.S. Congress raises their own pay to $7500.
1916 - Mutual signed Charlie Chaplin to a film contract.
1919 - In Arizona, the Grand Canyon is established as a National Park with an act of the U.S. Congress.
1929 - U.S. President Coolidge signs a bill creating the Grand Teton National Park.
1930 - New York City installs traffic lights.
1933 - A ground-breaking ceremony is held at San Francisco’s Crissy Field for the Golden Gate Bridge.
1945 - In the U.S., a nationwide midnight curfew goes into effect.
1952 - British Prime Minister Winston Churchill announces that Britain has developed an atomic bomb.
1957 - The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is established by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
1986 - Corazon Aquino is inaugurated president of the Philippines. Long time President Ferdinand Marcos goes into exile.
1987 - The Tower Commission rebukes U.S. President Reagan for failing to control his national security staff in the wake of the Iran-Contra affair.
1993 - Six people are killed and more than a thousand injured when a van explodes in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. The bomb had been built by Islamic extremists.
1995 - Barings PLC collapses after a securities dealer lost more than $1.4 billion by gambling on Tokyo stock prices. The company was Britain's oldest investment banking firm.
1998 - A Texas jury rejects an $11 million lawsuit by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey for a price drop after on-air comment about mad-cow disease..
2009 - The Pentagon reverses its 18-year policy of not allowing media to cover returning war dead. The reversal allowed some media coverage with family approval.

Word of the Day:
grimalkin noun (archaic) /ɡˈmalkən/
1. a cat, especially an old female cat.
2. an old woman considered to be ill-tempered.

Quote of the Day:
“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
- Victor Hugo

Today is:
2017 Academy Awards
National Pistachio Day
National Tell a Fairy Tale Day
Carnival Day

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-25-2017 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM

39,242 posts, read 23,235,816 times
Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place. As far as weather being the only consideration, it would have to be somewhere here in California. Other than where I am now, I would want to live in the Monterey/Carmel area of the north-central coast because the weather there is so mild and it doesn't get too hot in the summer. Also, I would move to San Diego in a heartbeat if I could find work there for pretty much the same reason.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? What do you do, and how often do you do it? I used to play tennis in high school. Nowadays I walk, and I try to do this on a daily basis, weather permitting.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? Probably archery.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? That's just about all of them!

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called? I had chicken fettuccine Alfredo for dinner, so I'd name him Alfredo.

Have a super Sunday!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 26, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who share your birthday are singers Johnny Cash, Michael Bolton and Erykah Badu; author Victor Hugo; rockers Fats Domino and Mitch Ryder; TV comedy legend Jackie Gleason; showman Buffalo Bill Cody; actor Tony Randall; actress (and celebrity daughter) Jennifer Grant and Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place.
I couldn't say. I haven't traveled enough.
Bonus Questions:
I walk my dog. Sometimes 3 or 4 miles.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad?

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called?
Chicken fried steak. Poor dog.

Today in History
1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from the Island of Elba. He then begins his second conquest of France.
1848 - The second French Republic is proclaimed.
1863 - U.S. President Lincoln signs the National Currency Act.
1870 - In New York City, the first pneumatic-powered subway line is opened to the public. (Beach Pneumatic Transit)
1881 - S.S. Ceylon begins its world-wide cruise, beginning in Liverpool, England.
1907 - The U.S. Congress raises their own pay to $7500. Even that would be overpaying them today!
1916 - Mutual signed Charlie Chaplin to a film contract.
1919 - In Arizona, the Grand Canyon is established as a National Park with an act of the U.S. Congress.
1929 - U.S. President Coolidge signs a bill creating the Grand Teton National Park.
1930 - New York City installs traffic lights.
1933 - A ground-breaking ceremony is held at San Francisco’s Crissy Field for the Golden Gate Bridge.
1945 - In the U.S., a nationwide midnight curfew goes into effect. May need to impose it again soon.
1952 - British Prime Minister Winston Churchill announces that Britain has developed an atomic bomb.
1957 - The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is established by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
1986 - Corazon Aquino is inaugurated president of the Philippines. Long time President Ferdinand Marcos goes into exile.
1987 - The Tower Commission rebukes U.S. President Reagan for failing to control his national security staff in the wake of the Iran-Contra affair.
1993 - Six people are killed and more than a thousand injured when a van explodes in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. The bomb had been built by Islamic extremists.
1995 - Barings PLC collapses after a securities dealer lost more than $1.4 billion by gambling on Tokyo stock prices. The company was Britain's oldest investment banking firm.
1998 - A Texas jury rejects an $11 million lawsuit by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey for a price drop after on-air comment about mad-cow disease.. Like hollering "Fire" in a theater.
2009 - The Pentagon reverses its 18-year policy of not allowing media to cover returning war dead. The reversal allowed some media coverage with family approval.

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
- Victor Hugo

Today is:
2017 Academy Awards
National Pistachio Day
Carnival Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-25-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 PM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place. Northern Michigan or northern Minnesota. I love having 4 distinct seasons; love snow and cold in winter. I could be very happy in the UP or upper MN.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? I exercise most every day. What do you do, and how often do you do it? I walk a lot and also do aerobics in my home and do the full-body basic workout on my Simply Fit board almost every day; often twice a day.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? I'm not too good at spots, but I did well when I went kayaking a couple of years ago. I'd love to go kayaking often in the spring, summer and fall months. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity nor the time to do that.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? I'm not at all good at running. Walking and power walking, I'm in. But running - forget it!

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called? Chocolate!

Word of the Day:
I'm not ill-tempered, but I'm [almost] an old woman!

Quote of the Day:
- Victor Hugo

Today is:
2017 Academy Awards I'll pass. I'm mildly interested in seeing the fashions on the red carpet, but I don't like watching awards shows.
National Pistachio Day Yum. I only recently developed a love for pistachios (maybe a couple of years ago). Now I love them.
National Tell a Fairy Tale Day Once upon a time.......
Carnival Day Carnivals are fun!

Happy Sunday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-25-2017 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 PM

44,756 posts, read 62,145,227 times
Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place. Fiji, Tasmania, Pitcairn Island, San Diego or Wikieup AZ. Any of these for nice clean clear weather.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? Sorta. What do you do, and how often do you do it? Daily I walk some and evenings around 5pm I do arm lifting exercises.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? Wingsuit flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56QRCwpBYI

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? Tiddly-Winks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pdglP7J8Y

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called? Vanilla Bean ice cream so I'll name the dog Mr. Bean or Beanie.

Bay

Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 PM

37,870 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today’s Questions:

It would be a place with 4 distinct seasons and equal seasons. I don't really know because too many other things would impact my choice.

Bonus Questions:
Yes, politics. It's a blood sport. But seriously, no.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? Nope

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? Competitive bass fishing but it's less that I'm bad and more because I can't physically do it anymore.

Just for Fun:

Noodle Soup.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, February 26, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who share your birthday are singers Johnny Cash, Michael Bolton and Erykah Badu; author Victor Hugo; rockers Fats Domino and Mitch Ryder; TV comedy legend Jackie Gleason; showman Buffalo Bill Cody; actor Tony Randall; actress (and celebrity daughter) Jennifer Grant and Turkish president [/font] [font=Verdana]Recep Tayyip Erdoğan[/quote]

Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place. St. Thomas or St. Maarten or Grand Cayman. I love the tropical weather and beautiful beaches.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? What do you do, and how often do you do it? no, but I want to try yoga.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? snow skiing

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? bowling

Just for Fun:
If you had to name a dog after the last thing you ate, what would the dog be called?Salmon

Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 AM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
I would move to San Diego in a heartbeat if I could find work there
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't really know because too many other things would impact my choice.
Let me reiterate: Don't let work or any other consideration such as family or real estate prices or having to learn another language affect your choice. Just pick the perfect place for you based on climate alone.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
Where in the world would you choose to live if the only consideration were weather? In other words, if you could live in your ideal climate, where would you go and why? Feel free to name more than one place. I am going to stick to my Maryland. Four distinct Seasons. Maryland does have high humidity during the Summer months--which is a total ugh factor, but it only last a few weeks. I would consider North Carolina and Rhode Island also--they have good weather and good scenery just like Maryland.

Bonus Questions:
Do you exercise or play a sport? What do you do, and how often do you do it? I walk every day.

Are there any sports or games that you’ve always wanted to try? Curling

Are there any sports or games that you’ve tried but given up because you’re hopelessly bad? Baseball when I was a kid

Just for Fun:
Roasted Chicken

Today is:
2017 Academy Awards
National Pistachio Day
Carnival Day

Wishing you a sunshine day!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:46 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,612,177 times

I would miss the snow but San Diego has the best weather in America

Bonus Questions:

Hate exercise. Working out is like lying on a gravel driveway and scraping rust off a muffler, just a miserable experience. I used to be very active, golf three times a week, now more like three times a month.

I was always good at sports, not sure there is one I wanted to try.

Not really.

Just for Fun:

Fried Chicken, Mac and Cheese and Mango Salsa. I may have trouble getting a dog tag large enough to print that name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics