Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

I know that this is not going to help me right now as I am already a victim of theft. My wallet has been stolen and I have lost all my important documents that even included my financial details. I fear that they may be used to make my accounts drain. I have already taken the necessary steps for this but this is going to be a real danger in future as it is sometimes too late and by that time everything is gone. I wanted to know that if there are any pre-steps that we can take in case of wallet theft?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
You did the right things after the theft of the wallet, but I didn’t see any information on where your wallet was before it was stolen. Pre-steps ,,,,, might be to never leave your wallet out of your sight, record all cards within the wallet, carry only those items that must be carried. Right now without looking, I don’t know what’s in my wallet ~ guess I should take things out and photo copy them.

So what’s in your wallet?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

18,046 posts, read 27,503,944 times
If you haven't done so already...

File a police report and get your Case Number. Take that Case Number down to your bank. Have that little dreaded visit with the appropriate personnel and close your account to your bank. Reopen your account with new credit cards, debit cards, bank account number, passwords, etc.

File a report to all three credit agencies and see if you're clear there. Put a watch on your credit for future thefts.

Stay on top of your Case Number through the local police/sheriff and notify your creditors that you've done so.

If you feel that your SSN has been compromised, notify them and follow the appropriate action.

You're not in this alone. It's not the first time this kind of thing has been done. Your bank and creditors may be gracious enough to help you out and reimburse any money taken, as they did me.

Personal security, you may consider changing your phone numbers and the locks on your doors (that seems kind of drastic, but it may be the kind of preventive measures you would want to take).

If you let your creditors know that you've taken all the measures you can and have done so quickly, that's what they're looking at and are usually more than helpful.

Good luck with that. It seems like a pain, but it's not so bad.

Taking pics of everything in your wallet in the future and the numbers to call is good advice (although sometimes after the fact).

Karma. I hope the guy who did this chokes on a piece of chicken.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
Weird. A first time poster, and his first post is about his wallet stolen. Weird.

Yes photocopy your cards, ID's, everything in your wallet and keep those in a safe place.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,238 times
Default Help! My wallet is stolen

I was also a victim of wallet theft and that made me to look for the answers concerning these issues. I recently heard about Wallet Lock (http://lifelock-reviews.com-411.com/ - broken link) which is a service effective against theft. In this, the company helps you to make your details secure and in case of your wallet being stolen they help you to get back the details and make you feel secure about the information not being used to your harm. It really makes us feel comfortable to go on a spending spree without the hassle to be panicked when your wallet is stolen. I hope that you will find this information useful and make it work in your best interests.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
See Kollins first post? Now...read kavin_7's first post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics