Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,422,263 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
Something cheap you bought, that wasn’t worth the money:
Waterproof bandaids at Dollar Store. They gave my skin an itchy rash.
Something cheap you bought, which turned out to be pretty good:
Matboard middles at local art store-they do framing & matting jobs, then sell bag of the misc. leftovers (inside pcs. that they cut out) for a couple bucks.
I get a lot of artwork done using those parts that would otherwise be recycled/discarded.

Something pricey you bought, that wasn’t worth the money:
Expensive repairs to old footwear (boots, sandals) in hopes of salvaging them-
I'm disappointed at the results & don't wear them bc. they no longer fit right-a waste, alas.

Something pricey you bought, which turned out to be pretty good:
Pair of lovely winter boots (after I'd already bought rain boots & clunky heavy practical winter boots)-
they were on sale but still an extra expense-and they are so incredibly comfy

Extra Credit:
Sorry this sounds confusing -I know what I mean, but is hard to explain-
I don’t mean flipping your mattress, but instead resting your head at the foot of your bed & having your feet at the head.
Do you sleep with your head & feet in same place (orientation/direction) every night,
or do you occasionally switch which end of mattress is the head or foot of bed, and move your pillows to opposite side ?
Yup. I have a pile of futons atop a platform, no headboard or railings.
Sometimes I alternate from one night to the next.
Other times I'll sleep one way/direction/placement for weeks or months in a row,
and then decide to flip around & sleep the other way for weeks or months.
It's easier in summer when there are fewer blankets to rearrange (tuck in at one end or the other).

Bonus:
Do you have anything made of burlap or canvas ?
Don't think so-my old canvas tote bag wore out & the new ones are made of cheaper, less sturdy material.
Have a couple paintings on art canvas, that's about all.
Have you ever worn something “bulletproof”, such as a Kevlar vest ?

Just for Fun:
Potholes and/or “frost heaves”: do the roads in your area get them-

Yes-
if so, are there any nearby that you’ve noticed ?
and yes. There's new patch of them that's cropped up right across the street from my driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 PM

44,468 posts, read 20,260,251 times
Happy Monday February 13, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Something cheap you bought, that wasn’t worth the money: Some undies , decades ago.

Something cheap you bought, which turned out to be pretty good: I bought a pair of slacks at a department store which started out at $45 and had been marked down a bunch of times. It was finally placed on a rack where every item was $2.99. I bought the pants and wore them for years. They were a good brand.

Something pricey you bought, that wasn’t worth the money: Several years ago, I ordered an expensive steak in a restaurant and it contained lots of gristle that was impossible to chew. I should have sent it back, but didn't want to get my replacement after my friends were finished eating their dinners. I really should have sent it back, though. Most of it was inedible.

Something pricey you bought, which turned out to be pretty good: A Mediterranean Cruise.

Extra Credit:
Sorry this sounds confusing -I know what I mean, but is hard to explain-
I don’t mean flipping your mattress, but instead resting your head at the foot of your bed & having your feet at the head.
Do you sleep with your head & feet in same place (orientation/direction) every night,
or do you occasionally switch which end of mattress is the head or foot of bed, and move your pillows to opposite side? I turn (not flip) my mattress 2-3 times a year. So, yes, I do switch which end of the mattress my head and feet rest on.

Bonus: Do you have anything made of burlap or canvas? I have a couple of canvas bags that I use for carrying groceries now and then.

Have you ever worn something “bulletproof”, such as a Kevlar vest? Not yet.

Just for Fun:
Potholes and/or “frost heaves”: do the roads in your area get them-if so, are there any nearby that you’ve noticed? We've had a weird winter, having many days with temps far above average. In between those spells the temps have dipped to way below freezing. That wreaks havoc on our roads and new potholes are appearing every day. It's getting harder and harder to dodge them. Some literally appear overnight, and street crews can't possibly keep up with patching them every day.

Today’s Word:
beatific /ˌbēəˈtifik/ (adj.): Joyously happy, rapturous, exalted, blissful. I was beatific while driving from work on Friday, watching the beautiful rising full moon in the eastern sky. It was breathtakingly beautiful!

Today Is:
World Radio Day (United Nations) I listened to the radio today.
International Condom Day I did not use a condom today.
Clean Out Your Computer Day How does one clean out a computer? I clean up my email box frequently, if that counts.
Get A Different Name Day I don't like my first name; wouldn't mind having a different one.

Have a fantastic week, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-13-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics