Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,498,359 times

Advertisements

We call them trolleys........ In England, all trolleys are tied together with a short chain. A one pound coin is placed in a slot, and the chain separates. After finishing our shopping, we return the empty trolley to the collection point, and reconnect the chain, and retrieve our money.

There was a thread about this somewhere on c-d. Some people got quite irate at the idea of doing this. Complaining of 'paying' for their trolley. You're not paying anything, it's just to ensure you put the trolley back where you found it.

I used to take my eldest son shopping with me, and placed him on a small green seat on special baby supermarket trolleys. It was great....... I would do the shopping, and he would call out 'hiya' to every passing woman. He was very young, but he knew who he wanted to come over, and talk to him....... "that's ma boy" I'd think to myself........ Boy, he could charm the ladies right from babyhood. He's still doing it now.......

Judy and I do use a handheld basket in some stores, but not supermarkets. I noticed in Spain that they have handheld baskets that have a telescopic handle, and small wheels. Folks can place it on the floor, and release the handle. That way, they don't have to use a large trolley for a small amount of things. Saves them having to carry it on their arm.

I deserve a gold star for running the house while my wife lies in bed with a cold. Today, I've hoovered the house, washed the kitchen floor, and cooked the dinner for Judy, her mother, and myself. I think I deserve two gold stars..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,052,164 times
You may have to tug on Today's questions to keep them from veering to one side.

Today's Question(s):
People sure leave shopping carts everywhere.
Do you return them to the store, to one of those collection points in the parking lot, or leave it wherever? Either put in the cart corral or return to the store. I am a lazy person but not so lazy that I can't properly return the cart.

Or do you call them buggies or something else? Shopping cart

Did you ride in a cart as a kid or ever shop with a kid in your cart? I am sure I did

What do you like/dislike/notice about shopping carts or how people use them? I hate when people leave their cart in everyone's way while their whiny 5 year old keeps changing his mind on which cereal he just can't live without.

What I really like are the stores that also have the reduced sized carts. I only buy a few items and hate pushing a full sized cart in a crowded store.

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store? Often

Extra Credit:
I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for a 1099 Form to arrive so I can do the taxes. Finally I went online
to check they had the correct address and discovered I'd opted for paperless and just needed to download the form!
Tell us a "Duh!" moment you had or witnessed someone having: Once when work had me going to Florida I had to change planes at Atlanta. It was a very tight connection and my inbound flight was late to boot. As soon as I got off the plane I checked the monitor to see what gate I had to hurry to. I was real happy when I saw it was only 2 gates away. I get to the gate with 30 minutes to spare. I found it odd that they had not yet started boarding. After waiting 10 minutes I really found it odd that everyone in the boarding gate were just calmly sitting there. It was then that I realized I had looked at the wrong flight on the monitor. I actually needed to go to a gate in a different concourse. I got to the correct gate as they were closing the jetway door. Another 30 seconds and I would have missed my flight.

Foodie Questions:
Have you heard avocados referred to as alligator pears? Nope

Do you eat avocado in salads or sandwiches or anything else? Now why would I want to eat a yucky old avocado?

How do you feel about guacamole? I like it just slightly less than hitting a deep pothole in the middle of the road.

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: putting up with the nonstop harassment from animalcrazy trying to get me to eat yucky veggies.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 AM

24,697 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you return them to the store, to one of those collection points in the parking lot, or leave it wherever?
At a collection point.

Or do you call them buggies or something else?
Shopping cart.

Did you ride in a cart as a kid or ever shop with a kid in your cart?
Not me, but the kids did.

What do you like/dislike/notice about shopping carts or how people use them?
I despise people that remove the carts from the store and use them to take their stuff home and then abandon the cart somewhere.

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store?
No

Extra Credit:
I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for a 1099 Form to arrive so I can do the taxes. Finally I went online
to check they had the correct address and discovered I'd opted for paperless and just needed to download the form!
Tell us a "Duh!" moment you had or witnessed someone having:
Like this?

Foodie Questions:
Have you heard avocados referred to as alligator pears?
I think I did.

Do you eat avocado in salads or sandwiches or anything else?
I sure do.

How do you feel about guacamole?
Good stuff.

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for:
Finally cleaning out the litter boxes and taking trash to the curb.

Thanx bjh.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you return them to the store, to one of those collection points in the parking lot, or leave it wherever? I return it to the cart corral.

Or do you call them buggies or something else? Fender denters.

Did you ride in a cart as a kid or ever shop with a kid in your cart? We only had saddles when I was a kid.

What do you like/dislike/notice about shopping carts or how people use them? I hate it when people stop in the middle of the aisle blocking everyone then bending over into the shelves with their heads stuck in them looking for whatever it is they are looking for 10 minutes.

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store? Only use them when I need 3 or 4 items and I'm in a hurry.

Extra Credit:

Foodie Questions:
Have you heard avocados referred to as alligator pears? Yes.

Do you eat avocado in salads or sandwiches or anything else? Only in certain Mexican food dishes.

How do you feel about guacamole? Great for chips and dips, and Taquitos.

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: Not talking politics today, oops wait a minute the day isn't over yet.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1942 Glenn Miller - A String Of Pearls one of my favorite oldies.
1953 Perry Como - Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes
1963 Rooftop Singers - Walk Right In
1969 Tommy James and The Shondells - Crimson And Clover
1976 Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover
1981 Kool and the Gang - Celebration
1983 Toto - Africa
1992 Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt
1999 Britney Spears - Baby One More Time

Today's Quote:
"Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you."
~ Mary Tyler Moore, actress love this woman.

Been laid up with the super flu since Sunday, still feel lousy but over the worst I hope. Hope no one get this flu, it's the pits.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:47 PM

903 posts, read 591,063 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you return them to the store, to one of those collection points in the parking lot, or leave it wherever?

When my kids were younger we would race up/down the aisle or in the parking lot. Of course only, if the aisle were empty.

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store? If I am just getting a few items, yes.

Extra Credit:
Oh boy so many. And I am having a blonde moment, I can't recall them. Oi Vey.

Foodie Questions:

Do you eat avocado in salads or sandwiches or anything else? and in whatever else I can

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: coaching soccer in Northern CA in the winter."

Today's Quote:
"Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you."
~ Mary Tyler Moore, actress -

Today’s Word:
onomatopoeia [on-uh-mat-uh-PEE-uh] noun
the formation of a word, as cuckoo, meow, honk, or boom, by
imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent

Government photo in the public domain
Beautiful photo

Happy Thursday!
You, too. :O)

Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,828 times
Evening all!

Today's Question(s):
People sure leave shopping carts everywhere. Do you return them to the store, to one of those collection points in the parking lot, or leave it wherever?
I always return them to what we call 'round these parts, the "cart corral."

Cart, shopping cart.

I probably did, but I don't remember.
I have never shopped with a kid in my cart.

I've started seeing carts that are shorter from handle to front end. I like those; I don't feel like I'm turning around an aisle into another shopper.

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store?
If I have to pick up more than a couple of things, yes.

Extra Credit:
I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for a 1099 Form to arrive so I can do the taxes. Finally I went online to check they had the correct address and discovered I'd opted for paperless and just needed to download the form! Tell us a "Duh!" moment you had or witnessed someone having:
I rejected buying a jean jacket because the price on the tiny price tag on the neck tag said $79.99. A friend who was shopping with me actually said, "Duh Pat! Look at the gigantic sale tag hanging on the front of the jacket...big red numbers, $39.99!" I looked right past the huge tag on the front, at the tiny tag buried so far into the jacket that it could barely be seen.

I reconsidered and bought the jacket.

Foodie Questions: Have you heard avocados referred to as alligator pears?
I have not.

I like them on sandwiches, yes. I also like to mash them up, add a just a pinch of salt, and some "bacon" bits, then spread that on a lightly salted rice cake.

I like it in general. My brother-in-law makes the best!

Just for fun: Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: My bird identification skills.

First Published on This Day:
1863 Samuel Clemens 1st used pen name 'Mark Twain' in a Virginia City, NV newspaper, the "Territorial Enterprise"
1922 On his 40th birthday Irish author James Joyce's novel "Ulysses" in Paris

Top Music Hits This Day:
1942 Glenn Miller - A String Of Pearls
1969 Tommy James and The Shondells -Crimson And Clover
1983 Toto - Africa
I know all of those. Maybe I should get a gold star for my music knowledge.

Today's Quote: "Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you." ~ Mary Tyler Moore, actress

Today’s Word:
onomatopoeia [on-uh-mat-uh-PEE-uh]
noun the formation of a word, as cuckoo, meow, honk, or boom, by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent

Today Includes:
Crepe Day I've got a recipe for 400 if you ever want to make a few for a fundraiser.
Groundhog Day
Heavenly Hash Day
Imbolc, Celtic springtime festival I'll be observing Saturday night.
Marmot Day, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot
Play Your Ukulele Day
World Wetlands Day

This Week Includes:
Snow Sculpting Week

February Includes:
Haiku Writing Month
Hot Breakfast Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month
Spunky Old Broads Month May I live to be one!
Sweet Potato Month

Today's Stately Picture:
South Carolina. Flowers and oak trees with moss.
Just lovely. Thanx!

Happy Thursday!
Thanx for the Qs bjh. Have a good day everyone!

Old 02-02-2017, 06:06 PM

24,790 posts, read 28,738,893 times
You may have to tug on Today's questions to keep them from veering to one side.

Today's Question(s):
People sure leave shopping carts everywhere. Yes.. BUT there is a bright side to them
Yes.. I found this out a Aldi's make money.. for those who leave the cart.. return it and get a quarter.. I spent a hour returning the cars.. made some money and got a RC Coca-Cola and a Moon Pie
Or do you call them buggies or something else? The death mobile.. as in National Lampoon movie.. When you in a isle clogged with carts.. and can't get through.. All Hands Ramming Speed.. It's amazing how people wake up and smell the coffee and move

Did you ride in a cart as a kid or ever shop with a kid in your cart? Don't remember.. I do remember those wooden floors in the A&P and getting slivers.. on my knees and bottom..

What do you like/dislike/notice about shopping carts or how people use them? That one wheel... the one that flutters as you push... so you got back for another cart.. now this one has the flat spot.. thump -thump as you roll.. go back again.. good buggy until you hit that thing that gets stuck under the one wheel.. and your pushing.. but the wheel not going around.. so again you have to futz with it...
The you run into the lady.. Screaming on her cell phone.. back handing her toddler because she's tired ad hunger.. and just wants to be left along.. so mother screams at her again..

Do you ever use a handheld basket instead or just your own hands to gather groceries as you walk through a store? Yes.. and I also skip down the isles.. whistling my favorite tune.. Off to see the Wizard

Extra Credit:
Tell us a "Duh!" moment you had or witnessed someone having: No

Foodie Questions:
Have you heard avocados referred to as alligator pears? Yes.. especially when you put eyes and mouth on them with a sharpie

Do you eat avocado in salads or sandwiches or anything else? Nasty.. Yucky... hurl

How do you feel about guacamole? Yucky... Kermit the frog with nasal problems

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: And a pat on my little head along with a kiss for saying how nice you are.. some good suck up brown nose statement

First Published on This Day:
1863 Samuel Clemens 1st used pen name 'Mark Twain' in a Virginia City, NV newspaper, the "Territorial Enterprise"
1922 On his 40th birthday Irish author James Joyce's novel "Ulysses" in Paris

Top Music Hits This Day:
1942 Glenn Miller - A String Of Pearls
1969 Tommy James and The Shondells - Crimson And Clover
1983 Toto - Africa

Today's Quote:
~ Mary Tyler Moore, actress

Today’s Word:
onomatopoeia [on-uh-mat-uh-PEE-uh] noun <<<<<<<<<<<< Oompa Loompa's
the formation of a word, as cuckoo, meow, honk, or boom, by
imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent

Today Includes:
Crepe Day
Groundhog Day
Heavenly Hash Day .................................. Yes with warm gooey chocolate sauce
Imbolc, Celtic springtime festival
Marmot Day, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot
Play Your Ukulele Day
World Wetlands Day

This Week Includes:
Snow Sculpting Week

February Includes:
Haiku Writing Month
Hot Breakfast Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month and make money Aldi's .25 for each cart
Spunky Old Broads Month ....... May West will be offended
Sweet Potato Month .................. with marshmallows

Thanks BJH ....... Happy R Day every one...

Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,527 posts, read 30,685,166 times
Today's Question(s):
I'll take them in the store if I want the extra walk and leave them in a corral or collection
area if not. When I was younger I admit from time to time I left them wherever.

I call 'em carts.

I remember riding in the bottom of the cart. Since then I've also had a kid in the cart.

The carts, the way they shake and rattle as they roll.
The customers who don't bring them back and who block aisles with them.
Imo we should do like in other countries and have a quarter deposit.

I've done both.

Extra Credit:
Me again. I think I've asked this type of thing before. Maybe coulda asked if you're still
waiting for tax docs. Am still waiting for one. It'll probably arrive tomorrow and I'll be doing the taxes this weekend.

Foodie Questions:
Am a little surprised this isn't all that well known a term.

On its own I don't really like avocado. Taste is dull to me and the texture is slippery.

I like it fine as guac.

Just for fun:
Don't be modest. Finish this, "I deserve a gold star for: putting away shopping carts.

Good answers, everyone. Thanks for chipping in. Have a good weekend.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM

24,790 posts, read 28,738,893 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2OTHeCKsBE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics