Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times

Advertisements

Most of the folks in my neighborhood have their festive holiday decorations out.

Just curious, does anyone besides me think it is ugly to have multiple 6' inflatable snowmen/santas/grinches/snowglobes, etc. in a front yard in addition to light up candy canes/manger scenes, etc?

One of my neighbors even has part of his icicle lights white and part of them multi colored. This same neighbor also has an entire nativity scene and 8 reindeer & sleigh made out of plywood, half a dozen light up plastic gingerbread men, half a dozen light up plastic toy soldiers, 2 trees made out of stings of lights (one is his flagpole), a dozen light up plastic candy canes, a 6' inflatable snowman, and various other mis-matched lights in his trees & bushes. He set his house on fire 3 times last Christmas with his lights overloading.

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 light up animated reindeer, a wire tree, and a pair of old fashioned lampposts in my yard in addition to icicle lights. All of my lights are white except for the red nose on one of my reindeer and orange flicker bulbs in the lamps.

So, does anyone else have a neighbor whose yard decorations are making you cringe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I like how my closest neighbor did his outdoor decoration...just white lights on some shrubs in the front, not too much, but enough to get the Christmas spirit across to people driving by All I've done is set up my tree in front of a window that faces the road, though it's not very visible as it's pretty far, and I hung a giant red ribbon/bow on the front door behind the glass storm door.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
My Aunt does only red and white and her house and yard is so cute!

I have driven by houses and they have the mismatched lights or some blink and some don't or they are falling off the house in some areas. If it is going to look like such crap then why bother???

Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,719 times
Wow.... Not a very nice thread..

Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
My Aunt does only red and white and her house and yard is so cute!

I have driven by houses and they have the mismatched lights or some blink and some don't or they are falling off the house in some areas. If it is going to look like such crap then why bother???
I know what you mean there.I put up the ice lights and when I get finished I will go around and pull on every strand so it will look right.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
There is a home a few blocks from me that becomes a yearly pilgrimage for some. The owner starts decorating in October. He has hand made animated displays and thousands of lights. You can see the glow a quarter mile away. There is also a home in Holmdel NJ where the owner hires a crew to decorate. I spoke to him once and he told me that he has so much stuff he actually stores it in a number of 40 foot shipping containers. He has to temporarily set a diesel generator to power everything. It's breathtaking. I did notice that many of his neighbors have erected fencing around their properties. Evidently people would track over these properties to get to the display. If I'm able to get a picture I'll post it.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
We have one house at the VERY front of the neighborhood that always has an assortment of the blow up decorations. It's a small front yard too so they are all crowded together. I mean if you live on acreage and you have the different "scenes" is one thing all spread out but all crammed together.......... ewww. Evey, that is TOOO funny. When the new movie "Deck The Halls" comes out on video you need to get it for him.

Remember that house in Arkansas that they guy had that HUGE display? Well it is now at DisneyWorld.

There is a house not too far away from us that the guy owns a neon light company and he has these beautiful neon ligths on his house. The ones going around the windows are like peppermint stripes. He and his wife dress up like Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus and he sits on the porch for the kids to come see him. They are a REALLY sweet couple.

We've got the white lights on the house (C9's). The icicle lights were a pain. The wind would easily blow them down or up on the roof so it looked bad and my husband did not like it. We have 3 angels, the C7 lights lining the sidewalk and some of the net lights on a few of the shrubs and that is it. I like putting lights on my back porch too.

Oh, my uncle was telling me their old neighborhood in Florida that they just moved from this year banned just about everything. No animate figures. No decorations over 3'. No blow up decoration. So my 3 little pretty angles that stand about 4' and have moving wings would be banned . He said the main reason is because there are so many older people in the neighborhood they really complain about children living there. It's a new neighborhood but they don't want families living there so they figure this is one way to help keep them out. Geez, if you don't want to live around kids move to a retirement home or nursing home.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Where I used to live in Florida there was a street where every home was done up to the 9's. The homeowners decorated inside of their garages and everything. You would park your car at the end of the street & walk around looking at the decorations. Homeowners were outside passing out homemade cookies & hot chocolate and soaking up the compliments.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Where I used to live in Florida there was a street where every home was done up to the 9's. The homeowners decorated inside of their garages and everything. You would park your car at the end of the street & walk around looking at the decorations. Homeowners were outside passing out homemade cookies & hot chocolate and soaking up the compliments.
Then those homeowners got their electric bills by the end of December and got expressions that closely matched this >>> .......

Old 12-01-2006, 11:02 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
I love Christmas! I like chaos! I like gawdy! lol. (C'mon, it's only once a year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics