Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 03:46 AM

16,767 posts, read 17,534,549 times

Advertisements

Greetings all.

So, here with the POTW for the second time since its break.

For those unsure how this works, I was asked years ago to take over this thread and I come up with a peeve- an unimportant moan of life as we live it- nothing too serious. If you have an idea for a peeve then let me know. Indeed, if you want to take it over then let me know! By the way, I can't do it next week as I will be in Italy. Any takers?

As we approach Christmas there is one inevitable thing that happens- the towns get busier. As you may realise, I detest crowds, but I have to go into town today for a dental visit. I don't mind the dentist, but the sense ofclaustrophobia can get to me.

How about you? Let us know because the POTW is;

Towns/shops getting busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 03:53 AM

All that talk of busy places is getting to me, so in order for me to relax I'm putting up a few shots of our soon to be home in France, which is the picture of tranquility, even compared to our quiet place here in the UK.

The shots are taken either from our back yard, or within a minute or two of it;

Last edited by Jezer; 12-12-2016 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 04:20 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,225,789 times
Great pics! ...

Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,282,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
....How about you? Let us know because the POTW is;

Same feelings. My town has about 20,000 full-time residents, some not actually in the town itself. I love it for about eight months of the year........and then come THE TOURISTS. Yes, yes, I know that the working people in town rely very (much too) heavily on the summer visitors for their income, but I still hate the packed streets, the jammed everything...and the really bad attitude that some of these people have.

So, starting in May I time my visits to arrive at the town parking garage by 8:30, do my pharmacy and bank stuff between 9 and 10, and get my butt and my car out of the town by 10:30 at the latest. The last two years, starting in mid-June I have to forego lunch at my favorite family restaurant until September (October this year) because there is no parking space in the large parking lot.

I have reached the point of regarding them as vermin, but I keep saying "spend, spend, spend...so that my neighbors have a good year." Otherwise I might "go postal."

Old 12-12-2016, 06:44 AM

126,444 posts, read 19,217,437 times
Oh what lovely pictures

Towns/shops getting busy. All I noticed streets and stores are way busier and drivers fight for parking spots and the roads are not as safe. I did Christmas shopping a month before just to avoid the crowds. It is suppose to be a cheery season but see a lot of frustrated shoppers out there.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 16,122,360 times
It's almost like overnight the streets are busier, there are more cars. Even though I live in a small town 10,000 in the city, the county is 73K. All the roads are busier and all the stores are busies, it's just that time of year!!

Great pics, bet you can't wait to move. Thanks Jez!!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Wow! There are some comments that I can really relate to.

Oh, by the way peevers, just had an offer from oeccscclhjhn to do POTW next week- many thanks indeed.

I'm just back from the dentist.

Parking was busier than usual but I got away at a decent time and though busy coming out of the town, and hold ups because of tree work on the road home, I'm back and I'm not going anywhere until I leave for our trip later in the week.

Miss J will be greeting us in Padua and we're really looking forward to that and a couple of days in nearby Venice.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:02 AM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,581,212 times
I live in Tourist City, USA (one of, yes, there are many) and see tourists not only as moola for many, but also as the reason we have so many great restaurants and so much live music among other things. Win-win. I see crowds as making things happen, keeping businesses hopping. Many times I'd rather visit a place when it's busy because of the hustle and bustle, not despite it. Crowds make things an event. For instance, imagine a fair when it's empty? Dull. Versus when it's busy? Hoorah!

'To each 'iz own,' as they say in Peckham.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM

44,730 posts, read 61,983,267 times

Tiz the season, bah-humbug...

Beautiful pics jezer

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,034,034 times
I don't have to do holiday shopping anymore so this time of year is not a problem for me. I will hit the grocery store on the 23rd to stock up on stinky cheese and cheap beer and maybe a few other things.

I remember once driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage one summer. I swear that every motor home ever built was on the highway ahead of me and driving 20 MPH under the speed limit. In Alaska Labor Day is when the last of the tourists leave. On Sept 15th you can hear a giant zipper closing up as all businesses at Denali Park close for the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics