Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 PM

21,653 posts, read 8,808,886 times

Advertisements

Greetings and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, November 20, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some famous people who share your birthday are U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, gymnast Dominique Dawes, slain politician Robert F. Kennedy; TV game show host Richard Dawson; TV presenter Alistair Cooke; rocker Joe Walsh; actresses Estelle Parsons and Bo Derek; comedian Dick Smothers and journalist Ron Suskind;

Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself?

What about yourself would you change, if you could?

What do you like most about your appearance?

What do you dislike most about your appearance?

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski?

Can you ride a horse?

Can you swim?

Can you dance?

Can you cook?

Well, what CAN you do?

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own?

What color(s)?

Today in History
269 - Diocletian is proclaimed emperor of Numerian in Asia Minor by his soldiers. He had been the commander of the emperor’s bodyguard.
1695 - Zumbi dos Palmares, the Brazilian leader of a 100-year-old rebel slave group, is killed in an ambush.
1700 - Sweden’s 17-year-old King Charles XII defeats the Russians at Narva.
1903 - In Cheyenne, Wyoming, 42-year-old hired gunman Tom Horn is hanged for the murder of 14-year-old Willie Nickell.
1914 - Bulgaria proclaims its neutrality in the First World War.
1928 - Mrs. Glen Hyde becomes the first woman to dare the Grand Canyon rapids in a scow (a flat-bottomed boat that is pushed along with a pole).
1931 - Japan and China reject the League of Council terms for Manchuria at Geneva.
1943 - U.S. Army and Marine soldiers attack the Japanese-held islands of Makin and Tarawa, respectively, in the Central Pacific.
1945 - The Nazi war crime trials begin at Nuremberg.
1947 - Princess Elizabeth (future Queen Elizabeth II) marries Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in Westminster Abbey.
1950 - U.S. troops push to the Yalu River, within five miles of Manchuria.
1955 - The Maryland National Guard is ordered desegregated.
1967 - President John F. Kennedy bars religious or racial discrimination in federally funded housing.
1967 - U.S. census reports the population at 200 million.
1971 - The United States announces it will give Turkey $35 million for farmers who agree to stop growing opium poppies.
1974 - The United States files an antitrust suit to break up ATT.
1978 - South Africa backs down on a plan to install black rule in neighboring Namibia.
1981 - Microsoft Windows 1.0 released.
1992 - Fire in England’s Windsor Castle causes over £50 million in damages.
1998 - First module of the International Space Station, Zarya, is launched.
2008 - Dow Jones Industrial Average sinks to lowest level in 11 years in response to failures in the US financial system.

Word of the Day:
probity noun /prōbǝ
1. The quality of having strong moral principles; honesty and decency.
2. Uprightness in one’s personal dealings; integrity.

Example: “He was a gentlemanly Georgian, a person of early American probity.” – Mary McGrory

Quote of the Day:
“I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes, we are part of this Universe, we are in this Universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up – many people feel small, because they’re small and the Universe is big, but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars.”

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today is
Absurdity Day
Beautiful Day
Universal Children’s Day

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-19-2016 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Wonky formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,075,891 times
Greetings and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, November 20, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some famous people who share your birthday are U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, gymnast Dominique Dawes, slain politician Robert F. Kennedy; TV game show host Richard Dawson; TV presenter Alistair Cooke; rocker Joe Walsh; actresses Estelle Parsons and Bo Derek; comedian Dick Smothers and journalist Ron Suskind;

Today’s Questions:
Whatever it is others like about me.
What about yourself would you change, if you could?
Don't know if I could.
I'm not young any more.
What do you dislike most about your appearance?
I'm getting old...
Bonus Questions:
Can you ski?

Can you ride a horse?

If it's willing.
Can you swim?

Can you dance?
Depends on who you ask.
Can you cook?
Absolutely.
Well, what CAN you do?
Just about anything you can name.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own?
4 or 5... I suppose.
What color(s)?
Most blue. Some black.
Today in History

Diocletian is proclaimed emperor of Numerian in Asia Minor by his soldiers. He had been the commander of the emperor’s bodyguard.

Zumbi dos Palmares, the Brazilian leader of a 100-year-old rebel slave group, is killed in an ambush.

Sweden’s 17-year-old King Charles XII defeats the Russians at Narva.

In Cheyenne, Wyoming, 42-year-old hired gunman Tom Horn is hanged for the murder of 14-year-old Willie Nickell.

Bulgaria proclaims its neutrality in the First World War.

Mrs. Glen Hyde becomes the first woman to dare the Grand Canyon rapids in a scow (a flat-bottomed boat that is pushed along with a pole).

Japan and China reject the League of Council terms for Manchuria at Geneva.

U.S. Army and Marine soldiers attack the Japanese-held islands of Makin and Tarawa, respectively, in the Central Pacific.

The Nazi war crime trials begin at Nuremberg.

Princess Elizabeth (future Queen Elizabeth II) marries Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in Westminster Abbey.

U.S. troops push to the Yalu River, within five miles of Manchuria.

The Maryland National Guard is ordered desegregated.

President John F. Kennedy bars religious or racial discrimination in federally funded housing.

U.S. census reports the population at 200 million.

The United States announces it will give Turkey $35 million for farmers who agree to stop growing opium poppies.

The United States files an antitrust suit to break up ATT.

South Africa backs down on a plan to install black rule in neighboring Namibia.

Microsoft Windows 1.0 released.

Fire in England’s Windsor Castle causes over £50 million in damages.

First module of the International Space Station, Zarya, is launched.

Dow Jones Industrial Average sinks to lowest level in 11 years in response to failures in the US financial system.

Word of the Day:
probity noun /prōbǝ

Example: “He was a gentlemanly Georgian, a person of early American probity.” – Mary McGrory

Quote of the Day:
“I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes, we are part of this Universe, we are in this Universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up – many people feel small, because they’re small and the Universe is big, but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars.”

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today is
Absurdity Day
Beautiful Day
Universal Children’s Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-19-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 09:05 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,973,606 times

Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? I'm just me, take it or leave it; I try to have empathy, understanding and compassion for others.

What about yourself would you change, if you could? I'd like to be more aggressive when necessary.

What do you like most about your appearance? I don't look like I'd harm anyone so I don't portray fear.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? I'm happy with whatever the good lord gave me and thankful that I don't have anything the I could say I dislike. At least I'm not orange with a large long hair comb-over...........

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski?

Can you ride a horse? Only if necessary to get to another location.

Can you swim?

Can you dance?

Can you cook?

Well, what CAN you do? Don't ask ......................

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? Ten or twelve (some are old for work projects)

What color(s)? all of them are blue

Today in History

Diocletian is proclaimed emperor of Numerian in Asia Minor by his soldiers. He had been the commander of the emperor’s bodyguard.

Zumbi dos Palmares, the Brazilian leader of a 100-year-old rebel slave group, is killed in an ambush.

Sweden’s 17-year-old King Charles XII defeats the Russians at Narva.

In Cheyenne, Wyoming, 42-year-old hired gunman Tom Horn is hanged for the murder of 14-year-old Willie Nickell.

Bulgaria proclaims its neutrality in the First World War.

Mrs. Glen Hyde becomes the first woman to dare the Grand Canyon rapids in a scow (a flat-bottomed boat that is pushed along with a pole).

Japan and China reject the League of Council terms for Manchuria at Geneva.

U.S. Army and Marine soldiers attack the Japanese-held islands of Makin and Tarawa, respectively, in the Central Pacific.

The Nazi war crime trials begin at Nuremberg.

Princess Elizabeth (future Queen Elizabeth II) marries Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in Westminster Abbey.

U.S. troops push to the Yalu River, within five miles of Manchuria.

The Maryland National Guard is ordered desegregated.

President John F. Kennedy bars religious or racial discrimination in federally funded housing.

U.S. census reports the population at 200 million.

The United States announces it will give Turkey $35 million for farmers who agree to stop growing opium poppies.

The United States files an antitrust suit to break up ATT.

South Africa backs down on a plan to install black rule in neighboring Namibia.

Microsoft Windows 1.0 released.

Fire in England’s Windsor Castle causes over £50 million in damages.

First module of the International Space Station, Zarya, is launched.

Dow Jones Industrial Average sinks to lowest level in 11 years in response to failures in the US financial system.

Word of the Day:
probity noun /prōbǝ

Quote of the Day:

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today is
Absurdity Day
Beautiful Day
Universal Children’s Day

Last edited by AksarbeN; 11-19-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 09:10 PM
bjh

60,325 posts, read 30,547,760 times
Today’s Questions:
What about yourself would you change, if you could? I'd like to go back to the metabolism I had at age 19.
What do you dislike most about your appearance? Handsome is as handsome does.

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski? Don't know.
Can you ride a horse? Yep.
Can you swim? Yep.
Can you dance? Sorta
Can you cook? Yep
Well, what CAN you do? Count to ten on my fingers. Count to twenty if I take my shoes off.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? Zero.
What color(s)? Blue or black is the color of the jeans i don't own. Had those colors when I wore jeans.

Quote of the Day:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 11-19-2016, 09:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,657,737 times
Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? My toes. And I'm really funny. And resilient.

What about yourself would you change, if you could? It would be better to be less sensitive. And more productive. And more physically active.

What do you like most about your appearance? Already said - I have very cute toes!

What do you dislike most about your appearance? Ultra fine wispy hair.

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski?

Can you ride a horse? Have done it; not an expert.

Can you swim? Can but don't like to.

Can you dance? Can but not great at it.

Can you cook? Can but mostly find it boring.

Well, what CAN you do? Storytelling/Public Speaking. And lying.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? 3.

What color(s)? 2 are regular denim blue, 1 is black.

Quote of the Day:

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

What a very fabulous and wonderfulquote!

Thanks, Bay!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 PM

44,709 posts, read 61,920,721 times
Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? That I'm tall, dark, rich, and handsome.

What about yourself would you change, if you could? That scar on my forehead that some jealous husband took aim at.

What do you like most about your appearance? My sexy hair.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? Nothing.

Bonus Questions:

Can you ski? Never tried.

Can you ride a horse? Yes, owned an albino onetime.

Can you swim? From here to there.

Can you dance? Depends on the dance.

Can you cook? Only in an emergency.

Well, what CAN you do? Well I can make funny noises with my armpits.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? 7

What color(s)? All are denim blue.

Funny stuff Bay...

Old 11-19-2016, 09:54 PM

7,412 posts, read 5,523,246 times
]Greetings and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, November 20, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some famous people who share your birthday are U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, gymnast Dominique Dawes, slain politician Robert F. Kennedy; TV game show host Richard Dawson; TV presenter Alistair Cooke; rocker Joe Walsh; actresses Estelle Parsons and Bo Derek; comedian Dick Smothers and journalist Ron Suskind;

Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? there is no one else like me.

What about yourself would you change, if you could? I wish I was more patient

What do you dislike most about your appearance? lines, wrinkles, sagging skin.

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski? yes, water ski

Can you ride a horse?
yes

Can you swim?. Yes

Can you dance?. Yes

Can you cook?. Yes

Well, what CAN you do? anything I want to do.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? about 15 pairs

What color(s)? different shades of denim.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:56 PM

72,493 posts, read 18,237,198 times
Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? I am determined

What about yourself would you change, if you could? My impatience

What do you like most about your appearance? My smile

What do you dislike most about your appearance?I am too short

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski?

Can you ride a horse?

Can you swim?

Can you dance?

Can you cook?

Well, what CAN you do? I can speak Chinese

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? 3

What color(s)? Blue

Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,440,215 times
One of the questions this past week asked if we ever had a problem with the equipment we access this site with. This morning I turned my Dell desktop to find it would not boot through the self-test resulting in a black screen. I opened it up and pulled the memory cards, cleaned the slots then reassembled the machine. It now works perfectly.

Today’s Questions:
What do you most like about yourself? Although now white, I still have plenty of hair on my head.

What about yourself would you change, if you could? I'd like to have good eyes and ears that don't ring.

What do you like most about your appearance? Ask my wife. She saw something in me.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? Too wrinkled and old.

Bonus Questions:
Can you ski? I used to water ski a lot but whether I could get up, or stay up, any more would be a large question.

Can you ride a horse? I think so. See comment above about skiing.

Can you swim? I'm sure I can but not as fast or as far as I used to.

Can you dance? I think so. See comment above about skiing.

Can you cook? Sure most anything that I have a recipe and ingredients for.

Well, what CAN you do? You name it, I think I've tried it. I've been a gardener, a fighter jet mechanic, a machinist, a student and I've done research work (biology and genealogy). I worked for a decade inside the D.C. Beltway as a bureaucrat which, based on your perception, may or may not take any serviceable skills.

I've managed and maintained family-owned residential and commercial rentals and owned a substantial online bookstore where we sold original and reprinted volumes (some tomes) that were no longer protected by copyright. I've done house painting and auto painting, auto body work, building roof work (asphalt and metal), minor plumbing along with everything else that goes with restoring an old west Texas farm. I've restored several antique motor scooters (bought one today). I've also restored and/or refurbished around 50 antique tractors in the past 10 years to include engine, hydraulic and paint and body work.

Whew! Yes I am tired.

Just for Fun:
How many pairs of jeans do you own? Guessing 15 or 20.

What color(s)? Mostly blue but some black.

Great questions Bay. Wishing everyone a restful Sunday.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 AM

11,421 posts, read 9,350,474 times
I'd like to be younger if I could, LOL. I strongly dislike the ageing process...

I've never skied and haven't ridden a horse since age 13, but I remember how to do it. However I do not think the horse would appreciate carrying someone like me on their back...

I can swim but it's been about 10 years since I have done so, same for dancing which was about 3 years ago.

Very proud of my cooking abilities. Nothing too fancy (I cook for one) but I do okay.

I can and do treat people a whole lot better than I have been treated during the course of my life,,,
Many people are cold and rude.

It's been about 10 years since I last put on a pair jeans.

Thanks, Bay.
Happy Sunday to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics