Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM

26,143 posts, read 20,025,678 times

Advertisements

This is just pathetic in every way!!!!!!

Last edited by Dude111; 09-25-2016 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 07:33 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,979,902 times
That is an interesting video. I saw a video a long time ago of a similar nature where a few people were standing in a line outside a building and eventually the line just got bigger and bigger. The few people who were there in the beginning were actors just standing to see if others would join in. People who had no idea why others were waiting in this line got in line and waited for hours. It was ridiculous.

I am the type of person who does not care what others are doing and I wouldn't keep standing up just because the other people in the room were doing it. I would have asked why they were doing it. Same for the line experiment. I would have probably been curious and asked what people were waiting for, but I wouldn't have just stood in line without knowing.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,599,052 times
LOL! I would have been doing the "wave" motion.

Unless there was a notice in the facility to stand when your name is called, I doubt I'd follow the conformity of others.

Sad that "grant" money was used to conduct this experiment. Pavlov already showed how certain behaviors are rewarded...

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,498,359 times
I showed the video to my wife, and asked her if she would stand on hearing the noise. She said, "I'm not sure. I'd like to think I wouldn't. But maybe I'd think it was something to do with the job I was there for.... like a test of some sort. So yes, I probably would stand and sit on command."

I waited......... "Would you David?" I said, "no I wouldn't Judy. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"...........

Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 AM

24,790 posts, read 28,732,092 times
It's really called "Sheepeople"

Next time your shopping or out and about... stop and stare off into space or at the ceiling.. and just watch how many people stop and say.. what are you looking at.. raise your arm and point.. make up something.. like see that flying object or that mouse crawling.. next thing you know you will have others stopping and staring.. when you get a crowd slip away and watch from across the room or street..

Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,498,359 times
I remember as a kid, a teacher at school talking about the 'herd mentality.' How most people follow the 'herd' and are frightened to appear different, or disagree with the majority opinion, even when they don't agree with it themselves.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:00 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,510,447 times
That's both funny and scary but it reminds me of a story (I have a lot of them.)

For a very short time several years ago I owned a very beautiful British racing green older Jaguar XJ6. My brother and I took the car to a local Walmart store where I parked it way out near the edge of the parking lot so as to prevent door dings. There were no cars within 100 feet of the Jaguar when we went inside the store. We returned in about 45 minutes to find two rare sports cars parked on each side of the Jag with no other cars even close. It seemed as if the owners of the sports cars thought I knew something they didn't and they were not going to take any chances.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:01 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I remember as a kid, a teacher at school talking about the 'herd mentality.' How most people follow the 'herd' and are frightened to appear different, or disagree with the majority opinion, even when they don't agree with it themselves.
That is so true. I can compare the people I talk with (friends & others) about voting and the political issues that are of importance. When engaging and asking “them” a simple question as to “why” they support this or that they have no idea, no answer other than it’s what they believe is correct. They can’t support their belief with information or facts. If I dig a little further into the “why” they finally tell me “well you know so and so told me it’s a good reason to vote for that”. So it’s always someone else’s opinion that they will vote ~ not facts or valid information. These are sheep and uninformed ones for sure and the sheep will vote in Nov.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,332,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This is just pathetic in every way!!!!!!

I first encountered descriptions of these types of experiments in the second half of the Fifties. Same back then....people don't need a reason for much of what they do it seems to me, except that other people are doing it.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 20,025,678 times
Yes it sad...... They dont have thier own minds,they have been so compromised its scary!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics