Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:20 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Today’s Questions:
Today is One Hit Wonders Day. Name a one hit wonder song or artist that you really like.
See below.

When you feel down in the dumps, what cheers you up?
Internet, TV, read a book.

Other than currency and coins, how many different items are you carrying in your wallet right now?
ID and other cards, receipt or two, spare truck key, lint.

If you could go back and relive one of the happiest days in your life, where would you be and what would you be doing?
Second to family stuff, I'll say traveling, a great day at the beach for instance.

Here's a wikipage that includes links to one hit wonders listed by decade and year ---v
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Heard this one on a store PA just recently.

Last edited by bjh; 09-25-2016 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:24 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is One Hit Wonders Day. Name a one hit wonder song or artist that you really like.

Take On Me by A-Ha

You Get What You Give by New Radicals

A lot actually. Sometimes one-hit wonders are the best.

Not feeling down in the dumps.

Other than currency and coins, how many different items are you carrying in your wallet right now?

I don't use a wallet. I use the smallest purse (sans wallet) that I can get away with and only carry things that I feel are absolutely necessary:

The essential card-sized things
Phone
Sometimes earbuds for my phone depending on where I'm going.
Small hairbrush
Compact
Lip applicant
Keys
Small notepad and pen
Hand sanitizer
I used to have a fake cockroach that I kept in my purse but I guess I've matured because I don't carry it anymore.

That's all I can think of.

If you could go back and relive one of the happiest days in your life, where would you be and what would you be doing?

That's something I'd have to think about.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:17 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,206 times
Today’s Questions:
One of the most iconic one hit wonders:

Whip It by Devo

Getting out and getting some fresh air.
Other than that, my license and debit card are about it.
About as far from today as possible. My day couldn't be going much worse.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Today’s Questions:
So many but I'll go with a local band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zb6H4b_oiA

Music (listening or playing), walking in the sun, getting my hands dirty repairing something and, did I mention music?

A driver's license, a retirement card (picture I.D.), an ATM card and an insurance card.

Like the one-hit wonders, there are too many to list just one but the day I finished paying off my $300 1956 Fairlane and was able to bring it home, the last day of military service, my marriage, the birth of my daughter, my final graduation would be up there. All of these events occurred in Texas and New Mexico.

Thanks for your time Bay!

Old 09-25-2016, 11:22 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Today’s Questions:
Over the Mountain; Across the Sea by Johnny and Joe.

Sleep

8 different items, I think.

Last one was the day I retired.

Thanx BayArea4.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2016.

I'm in agreement with John13 and my choice is Small Faces and Ichycoo Park

I don't get down in the dumps, but we visited the dumps every Saturday when we lived on the farm! That's the way it was in those days.

I don't carry a wallet.

More than one happy day spent in Nashville, TN with husband and children! It's our favorite place because of the music, and the people.
Thanks, Bayarea!
Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:37 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=Bayarea4;45601345]Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Libra. Some famous people who share your birthday include authors William Faulkner, Shel Silverstein and David Benioff; composer Dmitri Shostakovich; journalist Barbara Walters, actors Michael Douglas, Mark Hamill, Christopher Reeve and Will Smith; actresses Catherine Zeta-Jones, Heather Locklear and Aida Turturro; supermodel Cheryl Tiegs; basketball star Scottie Pippen and filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar.

Today’s Questions:
Mambo No 5, Bakers Street.
Hot fudge sundaes in a chocolate covered waffle bowl with sprinkles. bike rides, laughing with Lucille My boys.
I don't own one. I just carry a credit card and drivers license.
Oh boy, how do you choose just one? Many Halloween's would be on top of the list. The day all of my pets came to live with us would be another. Strangely our wedding day was not on top of the list. I guess I still didn't really want to do it and almost made the biggest mistake of my life and backed out. I thought of many reasons why I shouldn't but the bottom line was that I was madly in love with him, so I went through with it. There are many days with the shorties that I would love to go relive. Swimming with the dolphins in Mexico on one of my birthdays is another.

Today in History:
275 – In Rome, (after the assassination of Aurelian), the Senate proclaims Marcus Claudius Tacitus Emperor.
1066 – The Battle of Stamford Bridge marks the end of the Viking invasions of England.
1237England and Scotland sign the Treaty of York, establishing the location of their common border.
1396Ottoman Emperor Bayezid I defeats a Christian army at the Battle of Nicopolis.
1513 РSpanish explorer Vasco N̼̱ez de Balboa reaches what would become known as the Pacific Ocean.
1690Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick, the first newspaper to appear in the Americas, is published for the first and only time.
1789 – The United States Congress passes the Bill of Rights.
1790Peking opera is born when the Four Great Anhui Troupes introduce Anhui opera to Beijing in honor of the Qianlong Emperor's eightieth birthday.
1804 – The Teton Sioux (a subdivision of the Lakota) demand one of the boats from the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a toll for allowing the expedition to move further upriver.
1846 – U.S. forces led by Zachary Taylor capture the Mexican city of Monterrey.
1906 – In the presence of the king and before a great crowd, Leonardo Torres y Quevedo successfully demonstrates the invention of the Telekino in the port of Bilbao, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered the birth of the remote control.
1912Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is founded in New York City.
1915World War I: The Second Battle of Champagne begins.
1926 – The international Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery is first signed.
1929Jimmy Doolittle performs the first blind flight from Mitchel Field, proving that full instrument flying from take off to landing is possible.
1937Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese Eighth Route Army gains a minor, but morale-boosting victory in the Battle of Pingxingguan.
1942World War II: Swiss Police instruction dictates that "Under current practice ... refugees on the grounds of race alone are not political refugees", effectively denying entry to Jews trying to flee occupied Europe during the Holocaust.
1944 – World War II: Surviving elements of the British 1st Airborne Division withdraw from Arnhem in the Netherlands, thus ending the Battle of Arnhem and Operation Market Garden.
1955– The Royal Jordanian Air Force is founded.
1956TAT-1, the first submarine transatlantic telephone cable system, is inaugurated.
1957Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, is integrated by the use of United States Army troops.
1962 – The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria is formally proclaimed. Ferhat Abbas is elected President of the provisional government.
1962 – The North Yemen Civil War begins when Abdullah al-Sallal dethrones the newly crowned Imam al-Badr and declares Yemen a republic under his presidency.
1963Lord Denning releases the UK government's official report on the Profumo Affair.
1974 – The first ulnar collateral ligament replacement surgery (Tommy John surgery) performed, on baseball player Tommy John.
1977 – About 4,200 people take part in the first running of the Chicago Marathon.
1978PSA Flight 182, a Boeing 727, collides in mid-air with a Cessna 172 and crashes in San Diego, killing 144 people.
1983Maze Prison escape: Thirty-eight republican prisoners, armed with six handguns, hijack a prison meals lorry and smash their way out of the Maze prison. It is the largest prison escape since World War II and in British history.
1992NASA launches the Mars Observer, a $511 million probe to Mars, in the first U.S. mission to the planet in 17 years. Eleven months later, the probe would fail.
2003 – The 8.3 Mw Hokkaidō earthquake strikes just offshore Hokkaidō, Japan.

Word of the Day:
Assonanceasənəns/
Noun
in poetry, the repetition of the sound of a vowel or diphthong in nonrhyming stressed syllables near enough to each other for the echo to be discernible (e.g., penitence, reticence ).
Origin
early 18th century: from French, from Latin assonare ‘respond to,’ from ad- ‘to’ + sonare (from sonus ‘sound’).

Quote of the Day:
“I’ll tell you a secret.
Something they don’t teach you in your temple.
The Gods envy us.
They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed.
You will never be lovelier than you are now.
We will never be here again.”
- David Benioff

Today is
National Gold Star Mothers Day
National One-Hit Wonder Day
National Comic Book Day
National Tune Up Day

Thanks bay. The last railing just went in. Still no baby. I've been checking Facebook every half hour of so. She went in last night at 7pm to be induced.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:11 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Today’s Questions:
Shawn Mullins. But I personally like ALL of his stuff

Time; I guess. I don't really have any outside influences that I can lean on.

A bunch of dumb receipts in case I have to return something that it turns out I can't afford. I really hate doing that.
My expired in 2012 DL that I can't renew because of a DMV glitch. About 10 "appointment reminder" cards. A debit card with about .64 on it (cents; that is). A National Parks pass for my son because he's disabled. An EBT card with 17 cents on it. ...

Standing on the boardwalk in Mission Beach, San Diego, CA in 1999.
Drug free & alive with tears of joy running down my face. I knew it wasn't over (& boy was it NOT OVER!) but I already knew I could do ANYTHING. And the ocean makes me happy. I wish I was there right now.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:35 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
Today’s Questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Y2hv-3UCM

When you feel down in the dumps, what cheers you up? Music

Other than currency and coins, how many different items are you carrying in your wallet right now? driver's license, insurance cards, photos and a couple of other things

If you could go back and relive one of the happiest days in your life, where would you be and what would you be doing? Spending time with family and friends.

Thanks Bay for the questions. May you all enjoy your Sunday evening.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:27 PM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Today’s Questions:
"Summertime" by Billy Stewart

Counting my blessings
Four health insurance cards, 1 ATM card, four credit cards, two auto registration slips, two auto insurance cards, list of Mr. Bay's medications, my doctor's business card, library card, two store loyalty cards. That's a total of 18 items!
I would be at my grandmother's summer cabin in Capitola with my mother, stepfather and older brother. Any day there was a happy day.

Thank you to everyone who participated for your interesting answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics