Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,565,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ha! That in itself could be pretty awe inspiring. Watch out for the deep canyons though; or as they call them there in Tennessee, the hollows.
What I have to watch out for being tin.. is them " cricks" especially if they a flow-in fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 AM

12,850 posts, read 872,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OMG the money that is out there to be made in this works is crazy, and to be born into the stratosphere of the uber wealthy must be a trip.

I just read a story about a European CEO who was taken to court for child support of 46K a MONTH!

God how I wish money were no object for me. I wouldn't work, but I'd sure do a lot of philanthropy.

The highest WORKING person I know makes 150K a year
I don't know anyone born into family worth millions.
I'm with you, selhars! I'd sure like to give it a try for my remaining years. I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't get all caught up in the negativity others here mentioned. I'd be like, who gives a crap. The friends I have now would still be my friends and the others, well like I said, who gives a crap.

Also, for the posters who say an uber wealthy person doesn't, can't, or wouldn't enjoy nature... What? Why? That just doesn't compute. If they wouldn't enjoy it when they are rich I'm pretty sure they wouldn't enjoy it if they were poor either.

I have plenty of imagination and creativity to give it a try. I think I would do just fine as a wealthy person!

Last edited by rainydayparis; 09-17-2016 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Nah, it's overrated.

Too much class hatred for it to be fun.

You've always got to ask yourself, if your friends are really friends.

There are also always the people that are in wants, thinking a handout from you will solve their little problems.

Yes there's that, but I already know who my friends are and anyone else let into the inner circle would not know what I have until I deem them worthy.

Money is an amazing tool, but it is also a very large responsibility. Yes I have a friend in my life that I have given hand outs to, but I've cut her off because she simply refuses to work. I won't reward that. She respects it and we are still friends. If I had Bill Gates money? She wouldn't have to worry about working. Chump change has a different definition at that level, and who wouldn't want to be at that level?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:45 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,163,295 times
What's all this nature stuff, I was talking about money. And the fact is it's better in this world to have more money than you'll ever need, than…not. I'm talking about having more money than most people would know what to do with, and others are talking about sitting on a mountain top.

Of course, money can't "buy" certain things, it can't "buy you health and love" -- but it CAN buy you better healthcare and someone to SAY they love you.

Sure nature is nice, but I'd rather be wealthy enough to donate to keep nature pristine -- than have no money and live in a National Park.

As the saying goes, I don't hate the rich…I want to BE the rich.
You give me -- heck not even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet money -- just let me have George Clooney or Paul McCartney money -- and I'd trade that for never setting foot in a park or nature preserve. Nature vs money -- for me having money wins every time.

Pay me a million dollars to cut down a redwood or sequoia -- I'd have that thin down for fire wood in a heartbeat!

Old 09-17-2016, 12:56 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What's all this nature stuff, I was talking about money. And the fact is it's better in this world to have more money than you'll ever need, than…not. I'm talking about having more money than most people would know what to do with, and others are talking about sitting on a mountain top.

Of course, money can't "buy" certain things, it can't "buy you health and love" -- but it CAN buy you better healthcare and someone to SAY they love you.

Sure nature is nice, but I'd rather be wealthy enough to donate to keep nature pristine -- than have no money and live in a National Park.

As the saying goes, I don't hate the rich…I want to BE the rich.
You give me -- heck not even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet money -- just let me have George Clooney or Paul McCartney money -- and I'd trade that for never setting foot in a park or nature preserve. Nature vs money -- for me having money wins every time.

Pay me a million dollars to cut down a redwood or sequoia -- I'd have that thin down for fire wood in a heartbeat!
I'm sorry for you. I can't imagine giving up nature in exchange for money. And you're glee about cutting down a redwood tree is just bizarre.

I know people with the kind of money you're talking about. There are plenty of them who are wealthy and completely miserable.

The ones who aren't miserable are usually the ones who don't seek material possessions to be happy.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:42 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,163,295 times
No, money is not the be lal and end all of life. But I'd rather be miserable WITH money than without.
Whatever one's condition, state, or status, I do believe it's better to be that with money than without money.
That's all I'm saying.

And yeah, would I cut down a tree for a million dollars. You betcha.
---------

There's a great book from the 1980s called "Book of Questions" all it is is thought-proking, personal morality or character type questions.

One is something like: would you kill a perfectly healthy animal for a million dollars (would you do it for 50K), would you do it, if it were your pet? would you do it if it were just some bear in the wild. Would you EVER do it?
The goal is to provoke conversation and discussion…..and clearly what one person would do for 50K, another person wouldn't do for event 10 million dollars.

IS there a difference between a redwood and a random dog or cat? bear or dolphin?……you tell me…..
But don't ask me to choose between a million bucks or an animal's life either. You might think less of me than you already do.

Last edited by selhars; 09-17-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 07:54 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,565,880 times
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”

― John Muir

Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,727 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPjKSVe1tQ

Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,921,881 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7aW1_KxP0

Old 09-18-2016, 01:30 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,941,055 times
I know several very wealthy people. They're really not that different, but they live on a different level of reality. Where average people would think, "Honda or Toyota", they think "Rolls or Bentley". It's not a snob thing, it's just that for them 300 grand for a car is no big deal. Example: I was telling a wealthy friend that I was excited to watch the Ohio State/Oklahoma game this weekend on TV. He says, "Yeah, me too. I'm flying in on Friday night, I have a friend from there with tickets".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics