Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,378 posts, read 30,577,008 times

Advertisements

Our first questions are inspired by this story>>>>> The story of the
Let's hope this kid's living situation improves dramatically. o.0 Meanwhile here are . . .

Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar?

If you were that child, do you have a picture of yourself in that bath?

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them?

Bonus:
Describe your favorite childhood picture of yourself:

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind:

Generationally, how far back do you or yours have family photos - just up to grandparents or further?

Foodie Question:
What food have you been craving recently?

Pumpkin bread or banana bread?

Apple pie or cherry pie?

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a _____________________________

Today in History:
1504 Michelangelo's statue David unveiled in Piazza della Signoria in Florence
1522 Captain Sebastian del Cano returned to Spain, completing the first circumnavigation of the earth. Magellan had died half-way through the three-year voyage. Of the five ships and approximately 270 men who set out, only one ship ("Victoria") and seventeen men returned. Among the survivors was Antonio Pigafetta, an Italian tourist who wrote a book by hand, now known as "Magellan's Voyage: A Narrative Account of the First Circumnavigation."
1565 City of St. Augustine, Florida founded
1761 Marriage of King George III of the UK to Duchess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
1810 The "Tonquin" set sail from New York with 33 employees of John Jacob Astor's Pacific Fur Company. After a six-month journey around the tip of South America, the ship arrived at the mouth of the Columbia River where Astor's men established the fur-trading town of Astoria, Oregon.
1883 Northern Pacific Railway finished in Gold Creek, Montana, retired Pres. Ulysses S. Grant drove in the final "golden spike"
1892 US Pledge of Allegiance first recited
1930 3M began marketing Scotch brand transparent tape
1960 In Huntsville, Alabama, President Eisenhower formally dedicated the Marshall Space Flight Center
1966 1st episode of "Star Trek" TV series aired

Today's Quote:
"If you don’t know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn."
~ Ayn Rand, author

Today’s Word:
moxie [MOK-see] noun, Slang.
1.vigor; verve; pep.
2.courage; nerve.
3.skill; know-how.

Today Includes:
Ampersand Day
Literacy Day
Physical Therapy Day

This Week Includes:
North West Cider Week
Popcorn Days
Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week

Today's Stately Picture:
Maryland. Shore birds in a marsh.

Made freely available on pixabay.com by JamesDeMers.

Happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 PM

11,430 posts, read 9,364,725 times
Let's hope this kid's living situation improves dramatically. o.0 Meanwhile here are . . .

Alcohol is a terrible drug and often such as in this case it is abused. That is all I have to say about that.

Raising my can of sparkling water I am now drinking to a future for that baby,

Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar?

I never had children and I have no regrets.

No pics of me taking a bath.

Bonus:
- N/A. I have none and I had a terrible childhood.

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind: - N/A

Generationally, how far back do you or yours have family photos - just up to grandparents or further?
- N/A

Foodie Question:
- Nothing really.

Pumpkin bread or banana bread?- Banana. I bake the best I ever had.

Apple pie or cherry pie? - Cherry.

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a
D/K. sorry, I can't come up with anything.

Thanks, bjh.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Last edited by John13; 09-07-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,989,620 times
Today's Questions:
Yes, My mother used the kitchen sink when I was very little. And yes Mrs Aks & I washed our daughter also when she was very little.

no

no, resisted them

Bonus:
When mom dressed me in a sailors outfit.

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind:

Years ago I had some grandparents pictures with my oldest sister, however she got all the pictures and when she passed on early this year the pictures we misplaced or tossed out by her stepson and no one was able to get them. Her 2nd husband passed a few weeks after she did and his son was a @$#%^&>(*& to the rest of the family.

Foodie Question:
a good bowl of chili

banana bread

Apple pie or cherry pie?
Cherry pie please

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a __
Cemetery ___________

Today in History:
1522 Captain Sebastian del Cano returned to Spain, completing the first circumnavigation of the earth. Magellan had died half-way through the three-year voyage. Of the five ships and approximately 270 men who set out, only one ship ("Victoria") and seventeen men returned. Among the survivors was Antonio Pigafetta, an Italian tourist who wrote a book by hand, now known as "Magellan's Voyage: A Narrative Account of the First Circumnavigation."
1761 Marriage of King George III of the UK to Duchess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
1810 The "Tonquin" set sail from New York with 33 employees of John Jacob Astor's Pacific Fur Company. After a six-month journey around the tip of South America, the ship arrived at the mouth of the Columbia River where Astor's men established the fur-trading town of Astoria, Oregon.
1883 Northern Pacific Railway finished in Gold Creek, Montana, retired Pres. Ulysses S. Grant drove in the final "golden spike"
1960 In Huntsville, Alabama, President Eisenhower formally dedicated the Marshall Space Flight Center

Today's Quote:
~ Ayn Rand, author

Today’s Word:
1.vigor; verve; pep.
2.courage; nerve.
3.skill; know-how.

Today Includes:
Ampersand Day
Literacy Day
Physical Therapy Day

This Week Includes:
North West Cider Week
Popcorn Days

Today's Stately Picture:

Happy Thursday!

Last edited by AksarbeN; 09-07-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,114,416 times

Today's Questions:

I don't remember.

Bonus:
No favorites.

Grand parents.

Foodie Question:
Good food!

Apple pie or cherry pie?

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a ______Zoo_______________________

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~ Ayn Rand, author

Today’s Word:
1.vigor; verve; pep.
2.courage; nerve.
3.skill; know-how.

Today Includes:
Ampersand Day
Literacy Day
Physical Therapy Day

This Week Includes:
North West Cider Week
Popcorn Days

Today's Stately Picture:

Happy Thursday!
Thanks BJ! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 09-07-2016 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:53 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,706,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

[b]Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar? Yes to the first, 'don't know' to the second.

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them? Liked them well enough, especially with bubbles. Problem was that I didn't always want to do them when I was told.

Bonus:
Describe your favorite childhood picture of yourself: I was about 3, posing for a pic next to the family car and holding my mother's purse. I can almost remember it. I can "feel" the moment, just can't vividly see it.

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind: Hmm... Well, there was one photo taken Christmas day where a lot of people looked out of joint. It pretty well captured how things were. I didn't full realize it then but Christmas gatherings really weren't that great.

Generationally, how far back do you or yours have family photos - just up to grandparents or further? I have a couple of the grandparents, and an old portrait of one set of great-grandparents take probably back in the late 1880's.

Foodie Question:
What food have you been craving recently? Shredded beef enchiladas with mole' sauce. Finally went for some last Friday.

Pumpkin bread or banana bread? YIKES! Can't pick - love 'em both!

Apple pie or cherry pie? Another tough one but I'll go with apple.

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a courtroom

Happy Thursday!
Have a great day.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 PM

24,784 posts, read 28,664,032 times

Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar? In the sink... I was the " Little Tea Pot " song...

If you were that child, do you have a picture of yourself in that bath? Some were.. and with only a funnel

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them? .. I loved sitting in the sink.. making tinny tiny bubbles

Bonus:
Describe your favorite childhood picture of yourself: I have so many.. It could be the day I discovered mud.. I was 14 months old... and crawled out of my crib.. ( aka house )

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind: The Christmas Dad allowed me to mount the tree in the stand.. age 10-11. Had a little hand saw.. the tree dad and I had chopped down at the tree farm with a 7 footer.. tied on the roof.. I made it a 5 foot tree..

I have photo's going back to grand pappy running a steam tractor..

Foodie Question:
What food have you been craving recently? BIG and Thick roast beef sandwich smothered in hot gravy with French fries smothered in gravy.. double stack with hearty bread.. big Coca-Cola

Pumpkin bread or banana bread? Both.. Banana warm with real butter.. cup of coffee.

Apple pie or cherry pie? Both.. just backed.. with French vanilla ice cream and coffee

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a inflatable doll factory..

From my days in Florida...

Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,842,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Good job Trooper Graham, hopefully the little boy is in much better circumstances now.

Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container -
Only in their baby tubs.

or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar?
Most likely as an infant or small child, don't really know.

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them? Liked

Bonus:
A Christmas one where I was dressed up in my poodle skirt w/purse to match in a photo w/Santa when I was about 5.

We have a wonderful one of my grandmother and her four sisters when they were all very young (infant to 4-5) and all were dressed in those long dressing gowns w/pretty little ribbons in their hair, cute as can be.

Great-great grandparents.

Foodie Question:
I have a whole list of TX restaurants/foods that I'll be making stops at/for, at least once (if not more), on my next trip back.

Pumpkin bread or banana bread? &

Apple pie or cherry pie? Cherry first, then apple... both with vanilla ice cream!

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a _ Krispy Kreme Doughnut store_ .

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~ Ayn Rand, author

Today’s Word:
1.vigor; verve; pep.
2.courage; nerve.
3.skill; know-how.

Today Includes:
Ampersand Day &
Literacy Day
Physical Therapy Day

This Week Includes:
North West Cider Week
Popcorn Days

Today's Stately Picture: Beautiful shot!

Happy Thursday!
Thanks bjh, great Thursday's QotD!

Enjoy All!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:46 PM

44,728 posts, read 61,976,455 times
Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar? Yes & yes.

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them? No choice.

Bonus:
Describe your favorite childhood picture of yourself: Me on my pony.

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind: Easter get together w/grandkids.

Generationally, how far back do you or yours have family photos - just up to grandparents or further? Parents.

Foodie Question:
What food have you been craving recently? Pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin bread or banana bread? Warm with melted butter.

Apple pie or cherry pie? Both, hot with vanilla bean ice cream.

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a Victoria's Secret Warehouse.

Neat photo bjh

Old 09-08-2016, 12:13 AM

21,686 posts, read 8,828,165 times
Today's Questions:
Yes, I helped bathe my nephew when he was a baby. I myself was bathed in a steel washtub, and when I was a toddler my mother used to lay me on the kitchen counter and wash my hair over the sink.
No, my baby book was lost many years ago.
I liked them.

Bonus:
This was taken at my fourth birthday party. I don't remember the dolly at all, but I vividly remember the snowman centerpiece my mother made from an empty cider jug, a popcorn ball, construction paper (for the hat) and gumdrops.

This one was taken at my grandmother's summer cabin. She was a very proper lady who thought that children should be well-behaved at all times. My brother put me up to making a face just as the shutter snapped while he turned around and mooned the camera. My mother thought it was funny, but Grandma was not amused!

I have some family daguerrotypes that date back as far as the 1850s.

Foodie Question:
Peanut butter
Banana bread
Apple pie or cherry pie?
Apple pie

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a
chocolate factory

Thanks, bjh!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:19 AM

39,140 posts, read 23,127,287 times
Today's Questions:
Did you ever give a child a bath in a sink or other improvised container I don't have children. - or - As a child were you bathed in the kitchen sink or washtub or similar? Yes, in the kitchen sink and my parents also had a boat-shaped basin where they bathed me as an infant.

If you were that child, do you have a picture of yourself in that bath? Yes, I have a baby picture of me in the boat-shaped tub.

Did you like baths as a kid or did you resist them? I didn't particularly like them back then.

Bonus:
Describe your favorite childhood picture of yourself: It was a head shot/portrait of me when I was in kindergarten, smiling BIG for the camera.

If you can, describe at least one memorable family photo that sticks out in your mind: All of us were dressed in our Sunday best, posing in front of a lake near our home at the time in Orlando, Florida.

Generationally, how far back do you or yours have family photos - just up to grandparents or further? My grandparents. Although, there's one picture I have somewhere of when I was a baby being held by my mom, she stood next to my grandmother, who was holding a baby (my cousin) and next to my grandmother was my great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother).

Foodie Question:
What food have you been craving recently? The new brisket sandwiches at Costco food court. I plan to pick up a couple over the weekend when I do my weekly shopping.

Pumpkin bread or banana bread? Banana bread.

Apple pie or cherry pie? Apple with vanilla ice cream on top.

Just for fun:
It might be fun to be a night watchman in a co-ed college dormitory building.

Enjoy your Friday Eve (Thursday).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics