Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:33 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,427,785 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 18, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ?

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors,
to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ?

Today in History:
1921: Birth of astronaut (the third American-and the fifth person overall-in space) John Glenn
1940: Birth of actor Craig Kenneth Bruderlin, aka James Brolin (“Hotel”)
1966: Launch of NASA’s manned spacecraft Gemini 10
1967: Birth of actor & screenwriter Mark Sinclair, aka Vin Diesel (“Pitch Black”)
1968: Founding of Integrated Electronics (Intel Corporation) by Gordon E. Moore & Robert Noyce
1977: Birth of actress Kelly Reilly (“Above Suspicion”)
1980: Birth of actress & singer Kristen Bell (“Frozen”)

Today’s Word:
hale /hāl/ (adj.): Well, fit, healthy, capable, in good condition.

Today Is:
Nelson Mandela International Day
Constitution Day (Uruguay)
National Caviar Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are the symbols at lower left & upper right corners-

Thought for the Day:
“A person who has been punished is not less inclined to behave in a given way; at best, he learns how to avoid punishment.”
-B. F. Skinner

Have a pleasingly plush Monday, C-D peeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times

Today’s Question:

Nope. I've never been in a consignment shop.

Never worked in sales either...

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors, to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?

Nothing. But if I attended picnics or walked in the woods often I may have a different answer. The only time I am out is walking.
One trick I found is flies and the like hate being blown on...

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ?

Region, yes. Area, no.

Here is one I really like. I used to haul my bicycle to go to this trail which is mostly flat. At the time I had 3 friends who went with me (also went solo many times). I did quite a few 25+ mile round trips, picking up the trail at the most scenic part which is at the western end.

Some memorable times here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin..._Regional_Park

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ?

Yes. Museums in Washington, DC and when I visited San Francisco - the California Academy of Sciences:

California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, CA

Thanks, cloven.

That brought back some good memories.

Happy Monday to all!

Last edited by John13; 07-18-2016 at 02:02 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 AM

21,742 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Today’s Question:
Not exactly, but Mr. Bay and I donated a car to a charity which then auctioned it off, and the sale price will become a tax deduction for us.
Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors,
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?
This hasn't been an issue because of living in a cool coastal climate, where we don't get too many of those pests. I've seen mosquitoes at my house but not that often.

Bonus:
Not that I know of. Interesting idea, though.
Just for Fun:
Yes, I've been to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, the Museum of Natural History in New York and the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

Thanks, cloven! The maze reminds me of a ladies' swimsuit (in a very large size).

Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 AM

15,032 posts, read 8,347,680 times
Today’s Question:

No, I have visited consignment shops a few times, and have purchased items before, but I have never sold anything through them. I do sometimes donate to the charity type shops. I have never been employed in Commission sales.

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors,
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?

No, none of the above.

Bonus:

I don't know...I don't think so...there are a lot of walking, biking and fitness trails around here though.

Just for Fun:

Yes, the Science Center in Baltimore.

Thanks Cloven...have a great day and a wonderful week.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:10 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,682,252 times
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? not personally but I remember my mom taking stuff to a consignment shop in our town

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors, [/b][/color]to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ? around here I usually just take my chances - my husband did spray the balcony once when there were lots of wasps

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ? at home there is - and its supposed to come all the way down here but I've never seen it down here. Ummmm right now I can't think of any around here but there must be. The high line in NYC is a neat example of this practice. There's a website called rails to trails that lists a bunch of them across the country - or used to be anyway.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ? so many times - Carnegie museum in Pittsburgh has a renowned collection of Dino bones. Plus I used to scout out stuff like that on a smaller scale in the woods or around the neighborhood - still do - locust shells, snake skins, reptile or mammal skeletons. There's a pretty cool bird head and neck transforming along one of the walks I take. It's a large bird head and at first I thought it was just a big brambly branch. Now you can see the articulation in the neck bones and the color on the beak. It's fascinating even though sad for it and a tad on the gruesome side

Today’s Picture:
these are fantastic - I enjoy seeing them each week - this one is especially interesting and pleasing - love the stippling!

thank you! Here's to a splendid week ahead!

ETA after reading John's answer - duh, I've been along the w&od trail down here

Last edited by toosie; 07-18-2016 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Read Johns answer

Old 07-18-2016, 04:30 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,879,076 times

Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? Haven't. I donate to a Community Service/Thrift Store.

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors,
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ? The swat & slap method

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ? There is, beside the river.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ? Haven't gone specifically to see skeletons, etc.

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
“A person who has been punished is not less inclined to behave in a given way; at best, he learns how to avoid punishment.” Very true.
-B. F. Skinner

Thanks, cloven!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,545,268 times
Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? I used to sell manufactured homes for commission

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors, [/b][/color][color=DarkRed][b]to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ? Have used years ago when camping
electric bug zapper ? had to use on a lake in Florida.
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ? run

Bonus:
We have a great one not too far away
Virginia Creeper Trail Guide to Virginia's Mountain Biking Adventure

Just for Fun:
I have multiple times but it was years ago.

Happy Monday!!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times

Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? No I have not

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors, to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ? this ..came in handy on yesterdays hike
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ? Not sure I don't think so

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ? I have seen them in a museum long ago

Today in History:
1921: Birth of astronaut (the third American-and the fifth person overall-in space) John Glenn
1967: Birth of actor & screenwriter Mark Sinclair, aka Vin Diesel (“Pitch Black”)
1968: Founding of Integrated Electronics (Intel Corporation) by Gordon E. Moore & Robert Noyce

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Caviar Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are the symbols at lower left & upper right corners- your design of the maze looks great

Thought for the Day:
“A person who has been punished is not less inclined to behave in a given way; at best, he learns how to avoid punishment.”
-B. F. Skinner

Thank you cloven and a good Monday to everyone

Old 07-18-2016, 05:44 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times

Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? No

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors, [/b][/color][color=DarkRed][b]to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?

Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ? No

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ? Yes

Old 07-18-2016, 05:58 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,782,498 times

Today’s Question:
Have you sold something on consignment-or on commission ? Never on consignment but have on commission.

Extra Credit:
If you’re outdoors,to discourage biting insects, do you use-
bug repellent spray ?
electric bug zapper ?
citronella candle ?
mosquito netting ?
or another method ?
I am usually indoors and don't stay out long in the heat or in areas where mosquitos are at so don't use anything.
Bonus:
In your region, are there bike or walking trails made from former railroad tracks/bridges ? Possibly.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever gone to see animal skeletons, fossils, dinosaur bones or tracks (in a museum or elsewhere) ? Yes.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Caviar Day

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-B. F. Skinner

Have a pleasingly plush Monday, C-D peeps [/quote]

Stay cool, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics