Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

Do you? Let's say at work when you pass someone in the hall? Someone that you know vs someone that you don't. How about in college campus or apartment complex.

My success rate is about 80%. I may smile and say "hi" or do a head nod. Usually they return the favor, but some times its as if I don't even exists. You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:06 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Hi...

Old 07-11-2016, 10:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
From greeting people here of the tourist variety I'm often puzzled. Some respond normally to "how you doing" or sharing a bit of unsolicited information. Some cower as if to say "oh my goodness a stranger just spoke to me." Guess it depends on where you come from. If we make eye contact more often than not I'd say hi or hello.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
We customarily greet each other with a wave as neighbors in our gated community if passing in our cars. (95%). At work 75+\-

Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
We've talked about this on other forums now and then.

What it boils down to is this: rural people are more likely to interact with strangers than urbanites, females are more likely to interact with others than males, and beyond that it mostly depends on one's own personality.

As I've grown older I interact with strangers much more than when I was younger. I wave, smile, and have random conversations. It just makes life more interesting and fun.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
This has been discussed before.

I grew up in a small city, but really, in a neighborhood. My mom knew nearly everyone in one way or another, and usually greeted others. I do the same. I talk to strangers, too.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:34 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Do you? Let's say at work when you pass someone in the hall? Someone that you know vs someone that you don't. How about in college campus or apartment complex.

My success rate is about 80%. I may smile and say "hi" or do a head nod. Usually they return the favor, but some times its as if I don't even exists. You?
mostly yes. it depends on their body language and vibe, many times the other person will greet me before i greet them, if you're observant, you can figure out which people don't want to be bothered.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
I always acknowledge others as we pass or when approaching anyone, anywhere. Both will smile and say "Hi" or something. With neighbors, there may be small talk and I think people are generally friendly, overall. l've mentioned before how there is one neighbor who ignores everyone, which I think is odd and unusual. (I refer to him as "Mr. Friendly").

Old 07-12-2016, 05:40 AM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I mostly do.Throughout the years I came across people who greet while passing, some smile and a few just pass you. Growing up in a tiny community we always greeted each other and while hiking it was a definitely yes to greet and exchange a few words.Now living in Canada while walking I just say "hello" with a smile,while in a store we sometimes chat for a quick moment.I did notice some of the younger generation is on the quieter side passing you,just looking at their cell phones texting and maybe bumping into you while my generation or older generation still politely greets you. But sometimes it can become too much on a crowded day and I keep for myself

Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I talk to strangers now more than I have ever done in the past. I think 601 hit it on the nail. I like talking to the folks in the small town nearest me. I am always surprised how easy it is to get into conversations with total strangers. Of course, my father was know for that behavior.

I also like the way people (men) acknowledge each other as they drive in the country. This is prevalent in Oklahoma, I don't know about other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Hi...
<redbird puts the index finger up over the steering wheel as he and wit-nit pass each other on the country road.>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics