Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 AM

95 posts, read 84,019 times

Advertisements

Don't come crying to me when you lose your mind and can't find your ss check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,126,249 times
Alas, the downside of retirement...big honeydo list...no pay......sorry to depress those of you still working...check gets direct deposited...!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,280,050 times
I retired 6 months ago and was blessed enough to be able to retire relatively young (52). The thing is, I've become such a procrastinator since then! Like bones says...maybe tomorrow...NOT!

U.Batz, I'm going to borrow your Q&A to send to some of my friends here in the community, ok? Loved it!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
Question when is the time to ~ ~

Retiring from work is one thing, but not from life. There are always things to do with or without a paycheck. The younger a person retires the more important that they continue to contribute to society in some why. If your blessed and don’t need to work that’s one thing, but there are so many volunteer projects to help and who better to do them. God given skills and talents need to be used where better to use them ~ then for those who have the need.

Now to add to the mix – at what age is old (to old to work) and when should a person retire? I know 70+ year olds working should they? And I’ve seen 40something retired from the workplace ~ should they?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
sorry to depress those of you still working
UB, I don't even have 40 quarters in this country yet! Can you feel my pain now?!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,083,877 times
Just changed the honey-do list, into two lists;

1. Absolutely has to be done......

2. Like to do sometime.......

Ok, that's enough for today, going for a hike in the fields and woods.....

Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
I would love to be retired already but I have bills to pay.

I've worked since I was 15. Started part time after school, weekends. Worked while I was in college, worked when I was pregnant, worked after too. I started working full-time, all the time, when I was about 24 and I actually like to work. Just recently I have started wanting to retire because there are so many things I still want to do and I'm getting older now so I don't have all the time in the world any more like I did when I was 20.

I'd like to go back to school without the pressure of grades - adult education type things. I want to travel and would love to spend one month, two or three anywhere if that's why I feel like doing. I'd like to volunteer and work with animals, shelters, rescues, anything.

but the thing about retirement is that there is really very little you HAVE to do at any given time. You can do whatever, whenever, and get to enjoy it more I think - as long as you have your health.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
Good for you Bones! Now that’s a plan that should work out well. Come Monday (your off on weekends ) you will need to alphabetize the lists, then resort it into priority. Tuesday you can recheck the lists and make sure they will work out ok.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,144,296 times
I often joke that I am busier now that I am "retired" then when I was working

I am lucky that I am able to to do my volunteer work full time now

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

24,517 posts, read 26,059,340 times
Retirement is great, but you have to be doing something. Seems like the calendar always has something to do or there's the "honey do" list that is in a constant state of flux.

Here are some random fun thoughts on retirement.

1. Never make the trash cans so heavy your wife can’t take them to the curb.

2. Get up first in the morning so you don’t have to make the bed.

3. Make your wife a cup of coffee/tea.

4. Empty the dishwasher and put stuff away anyplace where it will fit. You will soon be told, “ I’ll do it.” Silverware is Ok to put away if you have one of those tray thingees.

5. Help fold the laundry. Bras are a pain, but they always have been.

Put the folded laundry away. Remember there are her drawers and your drawers. You will soon be told, “ I’ll do it.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics