Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,220,015 times

Advertisements

dvd, yes
penny lane
toast
coffee
sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 05:54 AM

4,719 posts, read 3,295,580 times
Welcome to QOTD for Sunday, April 24, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Some famous people who were born on this date include singers Barbra Streisand and Kelly Clarkson, actor-director-comedian Cedric the Entertainer, actress and author Shirley Maclaine, baseball player Carlos Beltran, reality TV star Phil Robertson, film director Richard Donner, artist Willem de Kooning; and novelists Sue Grafton, Robert Penn Warren and Eric Bogosian.

Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase?.............Yes a couple of months ago I ordered a personalized wedding plaque for a gift. It was a good!!!

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”)..............This just doesn't work for me. No street names on our rural area when I was a kid.

What was the last thing you had to eat?............A brownie last night.

What was the last thing you had to drink?..........A glass of water.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend?..........Sunny but cool.

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral).

Today in History:
1184 BCE – Traditional date of the fall of Troy (which was located in present-day western Turkey).
1519 - Envoys of Montezuma II attend the first Easter mass in Central America.
1547 - Charles V's troops defeat the Protestant League of Schmalkalden at the battle of Muhlburg.
1558 - Mary, Queen of Scots, weds the French dauphin, François, at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

1792 – The French national anthem, “La Marseillaise,” is composed by Capt. Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle.
1800 – The U.S. Library of Congress is established with a $5,000 allocation.
1805 - U.S. Marines attack and capture the town of Derna in the North African state of Tripoli.
1833 - A patent is granted for the first soda fountain.
1877 - Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire (which was centered in present-day Turkey).
1877 – U.S. Federal troops are ordered out of New Orleans, ending the North's post-Civil War rule in the South.
1884 - Otto von Bismarck cables Cape Town to announce that South Africa is now a German colony.
1898 - Spain declares war on the U.S. after rejecting America's ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.
1915 - During World War I, the Ottoman Turkish Empire begins the mass deportation of Armenians.
1916 - Irish nationalists launch the Easter Rebellion against British occupation forces.

1916 – Ernest Shackleton and five others launch a lifeboat from an island in the Southern Ocean to rescue the ship Endurance, which is trapped in Arctic ice.
1923 – Sigmund Freud’s paper Das Ich und Das Es (The Ego and the Id) is published, outlining his theory of the ego, id and super-ego.
1944 - The first B-29 arrives in China, over the Hump of the Himalayas.
1952 - Raymond Burr makes his TV acting debut on the "Gruen Guild Playhouse" in an episode titled, "The Tiger."
1953 - Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
1961 - Sandy Koufax of the Los Angeles Dodgers strikes out 18 batters, becoming the first major-league pitcher to do so on two different occasions.
1961 - U.S. President Kennedy accepts "sole responsibility" following the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba.
1962 – The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) achieves the first satellite relay of a TV signal.
1967 - Soviet astronaut Vladimir Komarov dies when his craft crashes with a tangled parachute.
1967 - The newest Greek regime bans miniskirts.
1970 - The People's Republic of China launches its first satellite.
1973 - Albert Sabin reports that herpes viruses are factors in nine kinds of cancer.
1974 - David Bowie releases "Diamond Dogs."

1980 – Eight American servicemen are killed in a failed attempt to free the more than 60 people held hostage in Tehran since November, 1979 by pro-Ayatollah students.
1989 - Thousands of students go on strike in Beijing.
1990 - The space shuttle Discovery blasts off from Cape Canaveral, FL, carrying the $1.5 billion Hubble Space Telescope.
1997 - The U.S. Senate ratifies the Chemical Weapons Convention. The global treaty bans the development, production, storage and use of chemical weapons.
2003 - A U.S. official reports that North Korea has claimed to have nuclear weapons.

Quote of the Day:
“Ideas are easy. It’s the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats.”
- Sue Grafton
-
Bonus Quote of the Day:
“If high heels were so wonderful, men would be wearing them.”

- Sue Grafton

Word of the Day:
pied \’pīd\ adjective

Definition:
Having sections or patches colored differently; usually brightly.

Example:
At Nebraska’s Crescent Lake, I’ve seen tiger-striped chicks of the pied-billed grebe floating close to their mother while overhead graceful black terns balanced in the wind, a thousand miles from the sea.”

From “Bird Watching, Patriotism and the Oregon Standoff,” Peter Cashwell, New York Times, January 6, 2016.

Today is:
International Sculpture Day
World Day for Laboratory Animals
Kapyong Day (Australia)
Flag Day (Ireland)
Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day

Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM

36,535 posts, read 16,116,845 times
Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase? Not lately.

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”). Sam 155

What was the last thing you had to eat? Banana

What was the last thing you had to drink? Water.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend? Beautiful, clear and warm.

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral).

Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 AM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,198 times
Today’s Questions:

Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase? A watch for my oldest granddaughter's birthday in June. The hands say "What" and "Ever". It's perfect for a newly minted teenager!

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”). Tui Gordon.

What was the last thing you had to eat? Peperoni Pizza.

What was the last thing you had to drink? Just finished my first coffee of the day.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend? Nice today -- low 80s.

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral). Too early to think of anything specific -- I'm sure there have been karmic moments in my long life!

Thanks B4. Happy day everyone!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,985,286 times
Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? No I don't use online buying. I like stores I can walk into.
What was it?
Were you happy with your purchase?

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”). I don't think I want to go there..................

What was the last thing you had to eat? nuts, and handful of them.

What was the last thing you had to drink? coffee right now this morning and iced-tea last night.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend?

All through out my life I've been running into other people that I should have met or would have met if things came together right. However when I was in the service I met a guy who's sister-in-law I dated for a while when I was in high school. And I was suppose to met him earlier in life when I was in grade school but that meeting never took place either because of other issues, so here we are 2,000 miles from home and we meet in the parking lot of the barracks with 6,000 GI running around the area. Timing was in our favor then. I also ran into him again when reassigned later after my schooling. He too was stationed in the same unit but a different section.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,278,263 times
[quote=Bayarea4;43816465]

Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase?

Books and various this and thats, all great.

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”).

Mine is Blackie Craigie, each one a word with a full stop after the first syllable so it's not a great combination.

What was the last thing you had to eat? This morning: a crepe with cinnamon and sugar.

What was the last thing you had to drink? The coffee that I ordered with the crepe, and it was a total dud.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend? Superb, for the first time this spring I was dressed too warmly.

I converted all of my savings into euros when it was at its lowest point.

Quote of the Day:
“Ideas are easy. It’s the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats.”
- Sue Grafton

Makes you wonder about lamb chops and lamb stew. Looks like the goats get the last laugh.
-
Bonus Quote of the Day:

Sue Grafton

She never saw Prince.

Word of the Day:
pied \’pīd\ adjective

Definition:

First ran across this word in h.s. when we read Pied Beauty by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

"Glory be to God for dappled things –

For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;

For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;

Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;

Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;...."

Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,239,601 times
Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase?
Yes, several CDs from a seller on Amazon. They were coming from England, so they took a few weeks to come. But I was still happy, they're the cheapest CD seller on the marketplace, many titles sell for as little as a penny.
What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”).
Tippy Munroe
What was the last thing you had to eat?
A chocolate chip cookie, moments ago.
What was the last thing you had to drink?
Kiwi Strawberry drink
It's 60 right now, and sunny. It should get up to 68 today.

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral). Can't think of any

Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,652,167 times
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase?the last thing I bought online was a set of colored pencils. I'm happy with them

What was the last thing you had to eat?peanut brittle

What was the last thing you had to drink?water

What is the weather like in your area this weekend?beautiful clear 70

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral
first to come to mind was when I was toting my luggage to the bus stop and a colleague happened to see me and gave me a ride to the airport. It was so much nicer than taking a bus and transferring to the metro and walking from there.

Thank you!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,858,236 times
[quote=Bayarea4;43816465]Welcome to QOTD for Sunday, April 24, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Some famous people who were born on this date include singers Barbra Streisand and Kelly Clarkson, actor-director-comedian Cedric the Entertainer, actress and author Shirley Maclaine, baseball player Carlos Beltran, reality TV star Phil Robertson, film director Richard Donner, artist Willem de Kooning; and novelists Sue Grafton, Robert Penn Warren and Eric Bogosian.

Today’s Questions:
John just bought another Annette Hanshaw 78 for the phonograph. True Blue Lou. Can't wait to get it.
Susie Hillcrest. Rusty MacNeil. LOL Love it.
What was the last thing you had to eat?
It was an Atkins protein bar last night around 730pm.
What was the last thing you had to drink?
I just finished a cup of tea.

Beautiful, but I just about died in the sun when I was water sealing yesterday. I'll be playing with the pressure washer today. It's supposed to be 77 and sunny.
Perfect timing: Knocking on John's door and meeting him when we lived an hour away from each other and finding him home on his day off.

Awful was calling the police to pick up a stray pit bull on one of my late night rides and having my ex friend be the one that showed up for the call. He's retiring next year This town just isn't big enough for the both of us. (It's sad that I still miss him. It was like loosing my little brother but he did me a favor. I don't want to watch someone else I care about disappear into a bottle. I don't do well with alcoholics.)

Today in History:
1184 BCE – Traditional date of the fall of Troy (which was located in present-day western Turkey).
1519 - Envoys of Montezuma II attend the first Easter mass in Central America.
1547 - Charles V's troops defeat the Protestant League of Schmalkalden at the battle of Muhlburg.
1558 - Mary, Queen of Scots, weds the French dauphin, François, at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

1792 – The French national anthem, “La Marseillaise,” is composed by Capt. Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle.
1800 – The U.S. Library of Congress is established with a $5,000 allocation.
1805 - U.S. Marines attack and capture the town of Derna in the North African state of Tripoli.
1833 - A patent is granted for the first soda fountain.
1877 - Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire (which was centered in present-day Turkey).
1877 – U.S. Federal troops are ordered out of New Orleans, ending the North's post-Civil War rule in the South.
1884 - Otto von Bismarck cables Cape Town to announce that South Africa is now a German colony.
1898 - Spain declares war on the U.S. after rejecting America's ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.
1915 - During World War I, the Ottoman Turkish Empire begins the mass deportation of Armenians.
1916 - Irish nationalists launch the Easter Rebellion against British occupation forces.

1916 – Ernest Shackleton and five others launch a lifeboat from an island in the Southern Ocean to rescue the ship Endurance, which is trapped in Arctic ice.
1923 – Sigmund Freud’s paper Das Ich und Das Es (The Ego and the Id) is published, outlining his theory of the ego, id and super-ego.
1944 - The first B-29 arrives in China, over the Hump of the Himalayas.
1952 - Raymond Burr makes his TV acting debut on the "Gruen Guild Playhouse" in an episode titled, "The Tiger."
1953 - Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
1961 - Sandy Koufax of the Los Angeles Dodgers strikes out 18 batters, becoming the first major-league pitcher to do so on two different occasions.
1961 - U.S. President Kennedy accepts "sole responsibility" following the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba.
1962 – The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) achieves the first satellite relay of a TV signal.
1967 - Soviet astronaut Vladimir Komarov dies when his craft crashes with a tangled parachute.
1967 - The newest Greek regime bans miniskirts.
1970 - The People's Republic of China launches its first satellite.
1973 - Albert Sabin reports that herpes viruses are factors in nine kinds of cancer.
1974 - David Bowie releases "Diamond Dogs."

1980 – Eight American servicemen are killed in a failed attempt to free the more than 60 people held hostage in Tehran since November, 1979 by pro-Ayatollah students.
1989 - Thousands of students go on strike in Beijing.
1990 - The space shuttle Discovery blasts off from Cape Canaveral, FL, carrying the $1.5 billion Hubble Space Telescope.
1997 - The U.S. Senate ratifies the Chemical Weapons Convention. The global treaty bans the development, production, storage and use of chemical weapons.
2003 - A U.S. official reports that North Korea has claimed to have nuclear weapons.

Quote of the Day:
- Sue Grafton
-
Bonus Quote of the Day:

- Sue Grafton

Word of the Day:
pied \’pīd\ adjective

Definition:

Example:
At Nebraska’s Crescent Lake, I’ve seen tiger-striped chicks of the pied-billed grebe floating close to their mother while overhead graceful black terns balanced in the wind, a thousand miles from the sea.”

From “Bird Watching, Patriotism and the Oregon Standoff,” Peter Cashwell, New York Times, January 6, 2016.

Today is:
International Sculpture Day
World Day for Laboratory Animals
Kapyong Day (Australia)
Flag Day (Ireland)
Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day

Thanks Bay dear one. Little chubby chihuahua is happy here. I'm cooking him some chicken today. We are still having some serious conversations about good boys pee pee outside. He's awfully cuddly and very sweet. I just wish he would eat his dog food.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:29 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,354,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to QOTD for Sunday, April 24, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Some famous people who were born on this date include singers Barbra Streisand and Kelly Clarkson, actor-director-comedian Cedric the Entertainer, actress and author Shirley Maclaine, baseball player Carlos Beltran, reality TV star Phil Robertson, film director Richard Donner, artist Willem de Kooning; and novelists Sue Grafton, Robert Penn Warren and Eric Bogosian.

Today’s Questions:
Have you bought anything online lately? What was it? Were you happy with your purchase? Last thing I purchased was a cd from a musician's website and, yes, I am very happy with it. And it was on sale for less than in Amazon.

What’s your “stripper name?” To find out, use the name of your first pet as your first name and the name of the first street you lived on as your last name. (Mine is “Rusty Macneil”). Spanky Highway 152... dear God!!! Maybe I could shorten it to Spanky Highway or Spanky 152???

What was the last thing you had to eat? Australian licorice.

What was the last thing you had to drink? The coffee I'm enjoying right now.

What is the weather like in your area this weekend? Over-cast but nice, low-60's.

“Timing is the thing, it’s true” goes an old song. Please share any instances in your life when the timing was either just perfect (such as running into a long-lost friend by chance) or absolutely awful (such as your mobile phone ringing during a wedding or funeral). Well, we're about to leave for vacation this coming Friday, and our washing machine bit the dust last week. Been going to the Laundromat because we don't want to futz with a replacement until we're back.

Thanks, Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics