Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,718,341 times

Advertisements

I don't enjoy long car rides. After the first 20 minutes my imaginary brake stops working. After 3 hours I'm very antsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,657,727 times
In a car, I never rush and usually take back roads so I know what is expected before I go. When I start to get antsy, I stop for awhile or just stop for the night. So, I really don't have the "are we there yet" feeling. Although it gets tough in lots of traffic or really hot weather.
In a plane, I get antsy if we have to hang in the air before we land or if we are seated and it takes forever to get off. I came back from the Dominican Republic and was stuck in the plane for over three hours at the airport due to no space for international flights. I walked off really p.o'd and took awhile to calm down.
I love trains so whenever I am on them, I never get antsy.
Now for the killer, I was stuck on the metro under the Potomic River in DC for about 45 minutes in the dark on a crowded train. That was a nightmare.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,047,640 times
Plane - 2 hours
Car - 2 hours (more if I'm driving and not the passenger)

I'm surprised I survied my road trip this past October. Flew from LAX to Philly (5 hours), layover to NH - 1-1/2 hours.

Drove from NH back to California over a 4 day period. I said never again.

I don't travel well

Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 AM

12,082 posts, read 39,026,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Todays question:

What is your "Are we there yet" limit?

lol in other words how long can you sit in a car or on a plane before you get "antsy" and say either to yourself or out loud "Are we there yet"

Extra credit if you tell us what "essentials for entertaining ones self" you drag along for the really long trips.
So far haven't found it. I love the trip and the drive as much as the Destination. This is such a great Country to drive across I can't even fathom being bored while out and about. Not even the endless cornfields of the mid-west, or the endless forests in the far Northeast.

For keeping the others in the vehicle entertained I usually bring along a few DVD's and a portable player. Some cheapy handheld games, or the better Nintendo DS and equivalent are usually present as well.

As for flying, a plane is like a giant sleeping pill for me. As soon as the wheels are of the ground, I am asleep and will generally stay that way until they wake me up to stow the "pillow" for landing.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 AM

7,404 posts, read 19,418,512 times
Most of the time, I don't get antsy.
The only times I can think of is if I'm on the back of the motorcycle and my gluteus maximus starts hurting after 7 hours or so. At that point, my s/o stops and I walk around and stretch some.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,986,194 times
Quote:
What is your "Are we there yet" limit?

lol in other words how long can you sit in a car or on a plane before you get "antsy" and say either to yourself or out loud "Are we there yet"
LOL.. Karla, on a plane, I would never say "are we there yet", I could probably spend a few weeks on there, and they would have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming!

In a car, it's a completely different story - I wanna get there yesterday!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,229,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
As for flying, a plane is like a giant sleeping pill for me. As soon as the wheels are of the ground, I am asleep and will generally stay that way until they wake me up to stow the "pillow" for landing.
my sister is the same way, except she is very entertaining
her head falls over, her mouth hangs open and she drools

and of course you know I have to share this with her when she wakes up
hmmm maybe thats why we haven't flown together in a long time

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 AM

12,082 posts, read 39,026,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
my sister is the same way, except she is very entertaining
her head falls over, her mouth hangs open and she drools
Who knows I may be the same way.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,418,879 times
I don't really have a limit, i love roadtrips, I tend to take the back roads.
I'll take food and drinks and I take plenty of breaks for pictures and such.

on my motorcycle I would say 6 hours and I'm beat, I've done some 12 hour days but for me it stopped being fun, lots of breaks when riding and a lot of water.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,474,991 times
I've no problem in a car. Love road trips. Used to love flying, too, in the past. Now "are we there yet?" comes up before even approaching an airport. Only Captain Mike's flights would be an exception : wasn't frisked and was given scotch and an ashtray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics