Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:10 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Advertisements

How we created a terrified, brainwashed society of weenies ... a society of people who are fearful, out of shape, overly cautious, and painfully politically correct.
There won't be more more rebels because this generation has been frightened into submission and apathy through a deliberately orchestrated culture of fear.

Raise your hand if you survived a childhood in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that included one or more of the following, frowned-upon activities (raise both hands if you bear a scar proving your daredevil participation in these dare-devilish events)

1. Riding in the back of an open pick-up truck with a bunch of other kids.
2. Leaving the house after breakfast and not returning until the streetlights came on, at which point, you raced home, ASAP so you didn't get in trouble
3. Riding your bike without a helmet
4. Riding your bike with a buddy on the handlebars, and neither of you wearing helmets
5. Drinking water from the hose in the yard
6. Climbing trees (one park cut the lower branches from a tree on the playground in case some stalwart child dared to climb them )
7. Having snowball fights (and accidentally hitting someone you shouldn't )
8. Carrying a pocket knife to school (or having a fishing tackle box with sharp things on school property)
9. Playing politically incorrect games like Cowboys and Indians
10. Playing Cops and Robbers with ... toy guns
11. Pretending to shoot each other with sticks we imagined were guns (there actually a freakin’ CODE about "playing with invisible guns")
12. Shooting an actual gun or a bow (with ...sharp arrows!!! ) at a can on a log, accompanied by our parents who gave us pointers to improve our aim. Heck, there were even marksmanship clubs at some high schools
13. Saying the words "gun" or "bang" can bring you into a big trouble nowadays
14. Working for your pocket money well before your teen years
15. Getting so dirty that your mom washed you off with the hose in the yard before letting you come into the house to have a shower (now called indecent exposure of minors)
16. Writing lines for being a jerk or bully at school, either on the board or on paper
17. Playing "dangerous" games like dodgeball, kickball, tag, wiffle ball, and red rover (The Health Department of New York issued a warning about the "significant risk of injury" from these games )
18. Walking to and from school alone
19. Bringing peanut butter sandwiches and birthday cakes to share with kids in the school
20. Keeping Score. (The competitive element was too much for parents and certain sports leagues, they decide to soften the blow for children who need not stress over unnecessary competition.)

Come on, be honest - tell us what "crazy" stuff you did as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 04:15 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times
great post .. did all that 50 years ago and believe it or not i survived .. i also would follow the family dogs around all day when i was 5 or 6 even if they went miles from home and momma never had a fear .. she knew the dogs would come home and i would be with them ..although i did have a friend get killed when she was riding on the hood of a car that went too fast and threw her off .. the gas pedal stuck ...

Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
All of the above, except the snowball part (raised in LA). Plus a zillion others.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:56 PM

3,966 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Riding while lying down in the back of station wagon, staring at the stars.

Spoiler
Though that was where I contemplated what would be beyond the stars. Brought up philosophical thinking that I later contemplated again- which served a purpose!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:00 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
We used to ride down a 2 block hill in the middle of the street while lying face down on a skateboard.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:30 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Re: # 3 & 4 PLUS no hands!! Done that too

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d007801f58.jpg

Old 06-20-2015, 06:33 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Mooning the tour launches on my fresh water lake.. The " Snobs " from the big city would socialize drinking wine & crackers as they toured the lake shore looking at the 150 year old estates.. as kids while water skiing we would moon them..
Bare Back Bovine Riding.. grab a Holstein and take her for a ride...
After dark... trying to tip over that bovine..
TP a house at Halloween.. or strap a couple of 2x4's on the sides of the outhouse and with 4 kids duck walk the outhouse out in the street.. Halloween prank.. Or jack a car up just high enough so the tires are 1-3 inches off the ground.. refill the area with fresh gravel... next morning watch as they put the car in reverse.. another Halloween prank..
Taking the " City Kids" and showing them.. giant foot prints in the creek bed made by " BIG FOOT" ( aka me or another kid ) then that night at their summer rental cottage making sure they were asleep and using a Halloween mask... scare the out of them

Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How we created a terrified, brainwashed society of weenies ... a society of people who are fearful, out of shape, overly cautious, and painfully politically correct.
There won't be more more rebels because this generation has been frightened into submission and apathy through a deliberately orchestrated culture of fear.

Raise your hand if you survived a childhood in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that included one or more of the following, frowned-upon activities (raise both hands if you bear a scar proving your daredevil participation in these dare-devilish events)

2. Leaving the house after breakfast and not returning until the streetlights came on, at which point, you raced home, ASAP so you didn't get in trouble
4. Riding your bike with a buddy on the handlebars, and neither of you wearing helmets
6. Climbing trees (one park cut the lower branches from a tree on the playground in case some stalwart child dared to climb them )
8. Carrying a pocket knife to school (or having a fishing tackle box with sharp things on school property)
11. Pretending to shoot each other with sticks we imagined were guns (there actually a freakin’ CODE about "playing with invisible guns")
12. Shooting an actual gun or a bow (with ...sharp arrows!!! ) at a can on a log, accompanied by our parents who gave us pointers to improve our aim. Heck, there were even marksmanship clubs at some high schools
15. Getting so dirty that your mom washed you off with the hose in the yard before letting you come into the house to have a shower (now called indecent exposure of minors)
16. Writing lines for being a jerk or bully at school, either on the board or on paper
17. Playing "dangerous" games like dodgeball, kickball, tag, wiffle ball, and red rover (The Health Department of New York issued a warning about the "significant risk of injury" from these games )
19. Bringing peanut butter sandwiches and birthday cakes to share with kids in the school
20. Keeping Score. (The competitive element was too much for parents and certain sports leagues, they decide to soften the blow for children who need not stress over unnecessary competition.)

Come on, be honest - tell us what "crazy" stuff you did as a child.
^^^We did all that plus poppin' hubcaps.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,940 times

I can only remember doing this a couple of times in my grandpa's or my parents' friend's truck and it was really fun.

No way. We weren't even allowed to play in the front yard unsupervised. My parents were unbelievably overprotective.

Yes, but I wasn't allowed to ride on the street.

Maybe a couple of times.

Yes. I'd never do it now.

With caution.

We didn't have snow.

Ha ha! No.

No.

My boy cousins had a few toy guns that I'd play with sometimes.

About a half hour ago I got pretend shot (machine gun style) by some kid in Marshall's, so they still do it. I thought it was funny.

Once I shot my cousin's BB gun. Of course I aimed at a tire and it ricocheted off and hit me in the head. Good times.

As for a real gun, I've never touched one. I don't think.

Yeah.

We usually got stuff if we were good.

Not to the point of being naked outside. lol!

We played some of those in P.E.

We weren't allowed.

Yes.

Yeah, sometimes.

Come on, be honest - tell us what "crazy" stuff you did as a child. [/quote]

My sister and I were very politically incorrect while playing with Barbies. I can't even mention it.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
As kids one summer the three of us decided to do a commando raid on the girls college across the lake from were we lived. At that time no one knew us on the other shore.. This is July and the three of us dressed in black and wool watch caps.. mittens and gloves... no finger prints for the FBI. Got in my 14 foot boat and went across the lake about 4 miles no lights 9-10pm ( 21:00 -22:00 ) we stormed the beaches.. really dragged the boat up a creek under a big concert culvert.. mosquitos just chewing the crap out of us.. broke out the black shoe polish smeared that on are faces. Stumbled around in the dark creek bed and brush and climb a large hill. As we came out of a hedge row we saw are target the " Girls" Dorm skulking like John Belushi in Animal House and sneaking closer to are objective we made it to the wall.. climbing on top of one and other and peering in the window.. we hear a deep voice like James Earl Jones.. and a beam of a flash light.. hey !! you 3 what are you doing.. scaring the out of us making the 5,000 yard run towards the tree line and ravine we crawled up we hear.. The Girls are not hear.. until late summer.. and that's the library Some how the next day dear ole dad asked...... were you at the college the other night ?

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 06-20-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics