Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM

9,728 posts, read 14,275,085 times

Advertisements

cloven;35840443]Happy Monday July 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.
Thank you, cloven!

Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ? A dish rack under the kitchen sink, and dishwashing soap. I have a butler's pantry in this old house for the other stuff.
What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ? Nothing. I've de-cluttered.
Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? Neither

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? No, but I read to my Amish girlfriend. We would go up in the hay loft and read until dusk. Our parents didn't know we lit a kerosene light so I could see to read. I actually taught her how to read.
Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? All of them. Alma, my friend, was a sponge and loved all the books. To this day, we are still friends, each of us 74 yrs. old.
If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? No

Just for Fun:
Have you tried out these craft techniques:
Embossing ?
Engraving ?
Silkscreen ?
Lithography ?
Glassblowing ? No, to all of the above

Thought for the Day:
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” I think that's true! It's a habit I love, working 50-60 hours/week.
-Olympic medalist Jim Ryun

Have an effective day, people of C-D. Thank you! Everyone enjoy (what's left) of your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,745,419 times
Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ? Cleaning supplies in both the kitchen and bathroom.

What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ? hand soap and lotion

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? Neither during the summer.

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? Yes. I started reading at 3 years of age, but I still liked for my dad to read to me.

Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? Yes to all choices

If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? Yes. I still have all my childhood books including all of my Golden Books.

Just for Fun:
Have you tried out these craft techniques: No

Embossing ?
Engraving ?
Silkscreen ?
Lithography ?
Glassblowing ?

Thanks for the questions, Cloven. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful evening.

Last edited by I Am Woman; 07-28-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,877,356 times
Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ? - Yep, one side for the kitchen trash container, and the other side for miscellaneous items, like cleaners, although both the sink disposal and the pipes take up some room in there..
What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ? - Dish-washing liquid, and one of those rack, basket.. or whatever they're called.. where you put your dishes, silverware.. on one side and a coffee brew station a couple of feet away from the sink on the other side..

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? - Dress Socks.. but they don't match my Dress..

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? - Hmm.. I think so.. A police officer always read my rights... - Just kidding, actually yes.
Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? - Oh sure.. I've read plenty of myths.. such as the one about politicians cleaning up Washington...
If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? - I think so.. Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Issue.. They had a lot of... Illustrations in them... - Actually, this was over 40 years ago, I don't remember any such books..

Just for Fun:
Embossing ? - My boss always Bosses me around..
Engraving ? - Nah.. Nothing with Graves.. or Gravy..
Silkscreen ? - No, but plenty of TV Screens..
Lithography ? - I'm not sure what kind of Graphs they had in Litho..
Glassblowing ? - Nah.. Blowing up glass was too dangerous so I quit doing that..

Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ?
Kitchen: Few extra/rarely used cleaning supplies, empty buckets in case of plumbing mishap, haphazard collection of tools.
Bath: Old overhead light fixtures, old showerhead (have to keep them, since they came with the apt.
but I replaced them with my own improvements), and more cleaning supplies.

What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ?
Kitchen: Microwave, dish drainer, soap & sponge, paper towel roll.
Bath: Toothbrush & holder,
bottle of lotion, soap & soapdishes, and a bowl with brush, comb, scrunchies.

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? Athletic socks

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? Yes, lots !
My father had an impressively inventive imagination, he'd make up these hilarious (to me, as a kid) stories of a couple,
"Charlie and Grizelda" (can't recall more than that, but I thought they were wonderful)
He would also read books to me and do funny voices for characters, in a way that I enjoyed a bunch.
Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? Goodness, yes.
d'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, Andrew Lang's rainbow series of fairy tale anthologies (hundreds of pages each, with small print),
Thornton Burgess's Old Mother Westwind animal stories, "Rabbit Hill" by Robert Lawson, "Stuart Little" by E.B. White,
Babar the elephant, and of course Beatrix Potter.
Did you know that actress Ally Sheedy wrote a book when she was a teenager, about mice living in the time of Queen Elizabeth I's court/reign ?
It was one of my favorites:

She Was Nice to Mice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ?
Yes, in part because I still have some of them (can't bear to get rid of them, they're so lovely)
Richard Scarry (Lowly Worm, et al.), William Steig, Quentin Blake (illustrated Roald Dahl books-"The Twits" still makes me giggle),
Wallace Tripp-his work still wows me:
Wallace Tripp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just for Fun:
Embossing ? No
Engraving ? Not sure, have vague recollection of an acid bath and metal plates-wasn't really my thing
Silkscreen ? Yes, once in college silkscreen elective. Got a pillowcase printed with my mandala design.
Lithography ? Yes
Glassblowing ? No, but I admire the sculptures crafted by Dale Chihuly's team (seen a few PBS specials showcasing these glass assemblages):
Dale Chihuly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today in History:
1866: Lavinia “Vinnie” Ream becomes first female (and youngest, at age 18) to receive commission
from U.S. government to sculpt statue (of Abraham Lincoln) <--- I was pretty impressed to find out about this/her
1866: Birth of English author & illustrator Beatrix Potter (“The Tale of Peter Rabbit”) <---- I used to love these stories & drawings
(and some of the delightful names, like "Jemima Puddleduck" and "Mrs. Tiggywinkle").

Old 07-28-2014, 05:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ? Ewwww! You don't want to go there.
What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ? The can opener and 50-75 year old cookbooks, including a Cozy cook book where we shared recipes.

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? Very often.

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? I was read the riot act. That sounded like a magmike joke!

Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? Duh. Most kid books have animal characters.
If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? I liked Bambi and Winnie the Pooh. I went through the Dr. Seuss collection and a million others because we lived close to the city library and me Mum was an avid reader. I inherited that trait from her.

Just for Fun:
Embossing ?
Engraving ?
Silkscreen ?
Lithography ?
Glassblowing ?

Thought for the Day:
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
-Olympic medalist Jim Ryun

I like the way he used to run with his head swinging back and forth.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,545,070 times
Happy Monday July 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Is there storage space underneath your sink (kitchen or bathroom)-if so, what do you keep there ?
What (if any) items sit on your countertop (next to the sink) ?... Just junk.. loose nuts and bolts..

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? ... Heavy duty socks.. tin scratches the floor...

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? Yes ... both parents.. !!
Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? Short stories..
If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? Field & Stream - Hunting. Both parents Hunt & Fished..

Just for Fun:
Embossing ?........... Chasing copper.. brass
Engraving ?.......... Yes
Silkscreen ?...........Yes
Lithography ?
Glassblowing ?........ Lampworking... Beads & Figurines

Today in History:
1866: Lavinia “Vinnie” Ream becomes first female (and youngest, at age 18) to receive commission
from U.S. government to sculpt statue (of Abraham Lincoln)
1866: Birth of English author & illustrator Beatrix Potter (“The Tale of Peter Rabbit”)
1887: Birth of French painter and conceptual artist Marcel Duchamp
1896: Miami Florida officially incorporated as a city (with a population of 300)
1945: Birth of American cartoonist Jim Davis (creator, “Garfield”)
1958: Birth of Canadian athlete & activist Terry Fox (d.1981)
1993: The microstate Andorra joined the United Nations

Today’s Word:
fulgurite /ˈfo͝olg(y)əˌrīt/ (n.) geology: a tube-shaped column of sand or rock that has fused into glass
due to being struck by lightning.

Today Is:
National Schools Tree (Planting) Day (Australia)
Ólavsøka Eve (Faroe Islands)
World Hepatitis Day

Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,491,686 times
Today’s Question:
What (if any) items sit on your counter top (next to the sink) ? Yes, I have cabinet in both the kitchen as well as my 2 bathrooms. In the bathrooms I have toilet paper, kleenex tissues, and extra shampoos and conditioners.

Extra Credit:
Which do you wear more often: athletic socks or dress socks (or other/neither) ? Athletic socks.

Bonus:
As a kid, were you read to ? No.
Did you read myths, fairy tales, and/or stories with animal characters? We had only 1 book at home, so any books I read were from school or the local library.
If so, were there any books with great illustrations that you still recall ? The one book we had was a children's bible. It was full of illustrations which I look at many times.

Just for Fun:
Embossing ? No.
Engraving ? No.
Silkscreen ? No.
Lithography ? No.
Glassblowing ? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics