Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 AM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times

Advertisements

Today's "Three Coins in a Fountain" Questions:
They say if you toss coins in the Trevi fountain, you'll return to Rome, Italy some day, and 3,000 Euros a day are thrown into that fountain alone!
---> Trevi Fountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell us about any decorative public fountain you've visited or heard of.
(If there's a picture, please post one or share a link to one.)

Portland, Oregon has some interesting public fountains.
SW Portland | Fountains in Parks | The City of Portland, Oregon
Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it?
Yes, I've done that.
Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there?
No, I'm completely innocent.

Further Coinage Questions:
If you see a coin on the ground somewhere in public, do you pick it up?
Not usually, unless it's a quarter.
What was the last coin you found?
I think it was a dime. I don't remember if I picked it up.
Is there a coin you won't pick up?
Pennies. They're useless. It's not worth the bother.
Do you have any old or particularly nifty coins?
No.

Foodie Questions:
What are your favorite meals on hot days?
Hot dogs, hamburgers, cold fried chicken or Chinese chicken salad.
What flavors or types of yogurt do you like?
I like vanilla or peach.
If you drop food on the floor, do you observe the 5 second rule? Why or why not?
---> Five-second rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No. I just rinse it off or blow on it, or throw it away if it's really not edible. I don't worry overmuch about germs.
Before fireplaces became decoration or mood setters, pioneers used to cook food in their home's fireplace.
Have you ever heard of modern people doing so?

I don't know anyone who has done that, although I've often wondered if I could toast marshmallows or roast wienies in our fireplace if the power went out.
What would you try, if you have/had a fireplace?
(I'm thinking popcorn, if nothing else.)

See above. I would try popcorn if I could get some Jiffy Pop.

Just for fun:
About what year did you start surfing the Internet?
Early 1990s

Thanks, bjh!
Love the vintage photo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,492,851 times
They say if you toss coins in the Trevi fountain, you'll return to Rome, Italy some day, and 3,000 Euros a day are thrown into that fountain alone!

Lots that I've heard of, several that I've been to - Trafalgar Square, London; Buckingham Fountain, Chicago and - yes - Trevi Fountain, Rome. Probably others, but can't think of their names.

Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it?
Yup, we tossed coins in the Trevi Fountain in 1997 - but I haven't been back (yet)!

Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there?
Yup, enjoyed many high jinxes in Trafalgar Square fountains with friends when living in London as a late teen - on unusually hot nights, or NYE etc.

If it's a 50 cent, $1 or $2 coin I would pick it up. Actually I've picked up a few smaller denomination coins and either given them to the nearest child, or popped them in a store's collection jar if it's nearby.

Can't remember.

One that's sitting in a puddle, or in mud - or where stopping suddenly would cause a pedestrian traffic jam.

I have a few commemorative coins (Queen Elizabeth's Coronation, Winston Churchill's something-or-other (can't remember what) and a few pennies I found when I was a kid that are dated between 1860 and 1880. Oh and a silver threepence (British). I also save a few foreign coins from trips.

Foodie Questions:
Fresh oysters, prawns and lobster

None

If you drop food on the floor, do you observe the 5 second rule? Why
or why not?
Depends how hungry I am or how much I love the food I dropped. I have an 0 second rule for food I'm not crazy about and a 50 second rule for food I love... I'd dust it off or rinse it.

Before fireplaces became decoration or mood setters, pioneers used to cook food in their home's fireplace.
Only toasted marshmallows, roasted chestnuts, baked jacket potatoes and sometimes toast. Only for the fun of it, not out of necessity.

I have a fireplace but haven't yet used it to cook anything.

Just for fun:
I think I first got internet around 2002. Would have started surfing the day I was signed up!Thanks bjh.

Happy Thursday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-24-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,505,071 times

Tell us about any decorative public fountain you've visited or heard of. What few fountains I have seen were not all that special.

Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it? Yes, I have.

Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there? Nope.

If you see a coin on the ground somewhere in public, do you pick it up? If it isn't a penny I often do.

What was the last coin you found? I found a quarter.

Is there a coin you won't pick up? Not really.

Do you have any old or particularly nifty coins? I have an older fifty cent piece.

Foodie Questions:
What are your favorite meals on hot days? Hamburgers, pasta or fruit salad, and corn on the cob.

What flavors or types of yogurt do you like? I like regular yogurt, not greek style yogurt. I like flavors like strawberry-banana, peach, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, and cherry.

If you drop food on the floor, do you observe the 5 second rule? Why or why not?
---> Five-second rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If it is a little piece of something I clean it up, if it were something big, like a burger, sandwich etc, I would pick it up. (assuming it was in my home where I know the floor is clean)

Have you ever heard of modern people doing so? Yes, many people in my area cook on their wood stoves.

What would you try, if you have/had a fireplace? Popcorn, I guess.

Just for fun:

Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,505,071 times

Tell us about any decorative public fountain you've visited or heard of. What few fountains I have seen were not all that special.

Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it? Yes, I have.

Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there? Nope.

If you see a coin on the ground somewhere in public, do you pick it up? If it isn't a penny I often do.

What was the last coin you found? I found a quarter.

Is there a coin you won't pick up? Not really.

Do you have any old or particularly nifty coins? I have an older fifty cent piece.

Foodie Questions:
What are your favorite meals on hot days? Hamburgers, pasta or fruit salad, and corn on the cob.

What flavors or types of yogurt do you like? I like regular yogurt, not greek style yogurt. I like flavors like strawberry-banana, peach, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, and cherry.

---> Five-second rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If it is a little piece of something I clean it up, if it were something big, like a burger, sandwich etc, I would pick it up. (assuming it was in my home where I know the floor is clean)

Have you ever heard of modern people doing so? Yes, many people in my area cook on their wood stoves.

What would you try, if you have/had a fireplace? Popcorn, I guess.

Just for fun:

Last edited by brokencrayola; 07-24-2014 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: 2 posts

Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times

Tell us about any decorative public fountain you've visited or heard of. A fountain in Tampere, the city's first public work of art, is decorated by three statues- the first is the maiden Pohjanneito spinning gold, the second symbolises the circle of life with a grandfather and grandson by a water wheel and the last shows a grandmother teaching her granddaughter to knit
Link to pic http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/15/75/98_big.jpg

Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it? Yup

Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there? I've known a few people to step into fountains

If you see a coin on the ground somewhere in public, do you pick it up? Of course! Find a penny, pick it up, all that day you'll have good luck

What was the last coin you found? Can't remember, haven't picked up a coin in a long time. Times are hard and everyone picks up their own dropped coins

Is there a coin you won't pick up? Well if it was in a pile of dog crap I probably wouldn't

Do you have any old or particularly nifty coins? I have an old half penny, a half crown, and one of those old Spanish (I think) coins that have a hole in the middle

Foodie Questions:
What are your favorite meals on hot days? Salad

What flavors or types of yogurt do you like? I like thick greek style yoghurts, fruit flavoured and preferably with lots of fruit chunks in

If you drop food on the floor, do you observe the 5 second rule? Why or why not? I follow the 45 second rule my floors are pretty clean as we don't wear shoes inside so I'm not bothered, just blow off the dust and enjoy. Or I give it to my kid to eat, she doesn't care.

Have you ever heard of modern people doing so? I toasted crumpets in someone's fireplace once, so I suppose people do that.

What would you try, if you have/had a fireplace? I would. I love cooking on an open fire outside so why not inside, but fireplaces aren't usually open here because open ones aren't very good for heating

Just for fun:
About what year did you start surfing the Internet? 2000 I think

Old 07-24-2014, 03:09 AM

11,386 posts, read 9,306,180 times
Hello all,

Coins tossed in Today's Questions will be donated to local charities.

Have you ever made a wish on a coin or tossed one in a fountain for good luck or just for the heck of it? - Maybe when I was a little kid. Can't remember, however.

Have you or anyone you know ever fallen or stepped into a fountain or committed other high jinx there? - No, but I have heard of it.

If you see a coin on the ground somewhere in public, do you pick it up? Usually.

What was the last coin you found? - It's been a while. I do not remember.

Is there a coin you won't pick up? - If it's too much trouble then I don't pick it up.

Do you have any old or particularly nifty coins? - Possibly. It's been a while since I looked.
Nothing really stands out.

Foodie Questions:
What are your favorite meals on hot days? - Salads, but I have them almost daily all through the year.

But if I drop a green pepper or green beans before it makes it into a pot before I steam, I will wash it off. Other times the food I don't consume that leaves my plate or salad container gets thrown in the trash.

Have you ever heard of modern people doing so? No.

What would you try, if you have/had a fireplace? - No.

Just for fun:
About what year did you start surfing the Internet? - 1996.

Welcome back, bjh. Nice set of questions.
Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:18 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,445,960 times

did you know that the coins thrown in the Trevi fountain are devolved to the Caritas (a catholic charity association)? and than the legend says that who throw a coin in the fountain will return in Rome?

near my university, in the "parco del valentino" there is that fountain (the "fontana dei dodici mesi")
http://www.torinofree.it/images/imma...esi_torino.jpg

Once when i was a child.

I know people that have fallen into a fountain...

it depends, probably i wouldn't keep 1 cent, but 1€...

i don't remember, probably it was in some pocket... (one of my pockets of course)

i wouldn't pick a coin from a fountain. for the trevi fountain for example you also risk the arrest for it.

i have an old dollar quarter, when i found that coin with a eagle on it i was really surprised. according to my mother it was bring here by one old aunt that live in the US for some years. i've also some old "lire", that are the money we had before the euro.

Foodie Questions:

Insalata di riso = rice salad
http://www.ilovecucina.com/wp-conten...ta-di-riso.jpg

i can't eat milk because of an allergy, so i don't eat yogurt.

no, in five seconds bacteria and co can easily reach your food.

No.

i couldn't think about nothing, but the popcorn thing sounds funny.

Just for fun:

in 2007 i think...

Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,104 times

Just your every day run of the mill fountains, nothing spectacular

Yes I have

Not that I'm aware of

If it is head's up I will pick it up, if it's a quarter it doesn't matter

Just a quarter on the ground

If it's dirty or sticky I won't pick it up

Not anymore

Foodie Questions:
Ice cream!! Oh a meal? I guess anything will do except for soup

Vanilla and anything with fruit in it

or why not?
No I don't observe the 5 second rule at my house, I have animals

No I don't think so

Yeah probably just popcorn or some kind of stew

Just for fun:
I have no clue, sometime in the 90's

Today in History:
1487 Citizens of Leeuwarden, Netherlands struck against a ban on foreign beer
1534 French explorer Jacques Cartier visited part of modern day Canada now known as Quebec
1701 Fort Pontchartrain trading post founded, later became the city of Detroit, Michigan
1802 Alexandre Dumas, author of "The Three Musketeers," born in France
1910 1st publication of Paul Bunyan folklore stories by James MacGillivray in the Detroit News-Tribune
1911 American explorer Hiram Bingham III announced re-discovery of Machu Picchu, "the Lost City of the Incas" in Peru
1950 Florida's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station began operations with the launch of a Bumper rocket

Today's Quote:
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder, author

Today’s Word:
lit·to·ral [lit-er-uhl] adjective
of or pertaining to the shore of a lake, sea, or ocean,
the biogeographic region between low and high water lines: compare intertidal

Today Is:
Cousins Day
Drive-Thru Day
Tequila Day

This Week Is:
Garlic Week
Lumberjack Championships
Zoo Keeper

Today's Nostalgic Picture:
A different kind of fountain: remember when kids rode their bikes just about everywhere?
Here two boys in Caldwell, Idaho in July 1941 quench their thirst at a public drinking fountain.

US government photo in the public domain

Here's hoping your Thursday bubbles with happiness.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,505,905 times

*done*!

Haven't been sadly

Many Many times, to change the luck of the day

Me! when I was 6 in 1997

Sometimes

Penny

no
Old US quarters

Foodie Questions:

ice cream sandwiches

strawberry, mixed fruit and raspberry
yes! grace periods are important!

In rural areas!!!

Hot Dogs!

Just for fun:

Today in History:
1487 Citizens of Leeuwarden, Netherlands struck against a ban on foreign beer
1534 French explorer Jacques Cartier visited part of modern day Canada now known as Quebec
1701 Fort Pontchartrain trading post founded, later became the city of Detroit, Michigan
1802 Alexandre Dumas, author of "The Three Musketeers," born in France
1910 1st publication of Paul Bunyan folklore stories by James MacGillivray in the Detroit News-Tribune
1911 American explorer Hiram Bingham III announced re-discovery of Machu Picchu, "the Lost City of the Incas" in Peru
1950 Florida's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station began operations with the launch of a Bumper rocket

Today's Quote:
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder, author

Today’s Word:
lit·to·ral [lit-er-uhl] adjective
of or pertaining to the shore of a lake, sea, or ocean,
the biogeographic region between low and high water lines: compare intertidal

Today Is:
Cousins Day
Drive-Thru Day
Tequila Day <-----....

This Week Is:
Garlic Week
Lumberjack Championships
Zoo Keeper

Today's Nostalgic Picture:
A different kind of fountain: remember when kids rode their bikes just about everywhere?
Here two boys in Caldwell, Idaho in July 1941 quench their thirst at a public drinking fountain.

US government photo in the public domain
Great Photo

Here's hoping your Thursday bubbles with happiness.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,683,773 times
[quote=bjh;35783949]Coins tossed in Today's Questions will be donated to local charities.

Buckingham Fountain at Congress Pkwy and the lake front in Chicagp

NO, luck is directly proportional to hard work

I think I know someone who put several boxes of detergent in one.

NO

NO

Foodie Questions:
Tuna Noodle salad

or why not?
3 sec rule was proved on Mythbusters. We all need some dirt

When my brother retired the place the moved to had no electric or running water for 6 mos. They cooked on a wood burning stove

Yes I would

Just for fun:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics