Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree. Move on.
Although why she had to have both doors open is beyond me.

People all seem to think they exist in a vacuum where their behavior does not affect anyone else.
This what I'm see lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have 3 grandchildren that live with me... They are 4, 6 & 7 so it takes a few minutes to get them in and situated.. This being said we ALWAYS try to use the door that is not in an open space or that someone is trying to pull out of.. Just trying to be courteous to other drivers.... That way if ti takes me a little longer I am not impeding anyone....
We have a winner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,976,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have 3 grandchildren that live with me... They are 4, 6 & 7 so it takes a few minutes to get them in and situated.. This being said we ALWAYS try to use the door that is not in an open space or that someone is trying to pull out of.. Just trying to be courteous to other drivers.... That way if ti takes me a little longer I am not impeding anyone....
Thumbs up!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
We have twins and I got tired of having to back out slightly just to open both sides to fit them in while in the carrier so I just started parking further away where nobody would park next to me. No I'm never buying a minivan because I actually like driving something that doesn't handle like a boat. If SUVs had sliding doors, I'd buy them.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,213,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
As I dropped my son off at Football practice this morning, I witness this lady holding up traffic for a better part of 5 minutes while she took her time getting her 3 maybe 4 year old out of the car seat.
Both her car doors were open, so the car behind her could not pull into the parking space next to her.
Since the parking lot is narrow, no other cars can get by until someone pulls into the a open space. I've seen a increase lately of people taking forever to get their kids in and out of a parked car, all the while preventing other people from parking next to them.
Car behind her could have just parked elsewhere. Who waits five minutes for a parking spot?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Wow, they must not allow rants of any kind in the Automotive forum.

I actually like this thread because this kind of cluelessness can be a problem. Parking lots can be dangerous, with cars speeding through as if no one EVER backs out or no children ever dart out from behind parked vehicles.

I do think we should travel around this planet with other people in mind, and like many things, this is a time for parents to teach/model several important behaviors here: personal spatial awareness, conscientiousness (Don't slam your door into the car next to you), safety in public (look both ways, wait till no traffic) etc.

Like anything with little kids, I try to limit points of access, especially if I'm the only adult outnumbered by kids. So if you have to get a stroller etc out of the trunk, do that first with kids still buckled/inside the car.

THEN open ONE door and have all kids exit that way. No need for all doors to fly open with kids everywhere like a Chinese fire drill.

Not all ideas are good ideas. Today I waited to leave the grocery store parking lot because this little kid, about age 6, was just standing at the end of an empty parking space looking at me in my car. His mom was standing next to their vehicle a few spaces away.

I couldn't tell what the kid was going to do, so I just sat there, not wanting to pull forward until he was in arm's reach of his mom. He then started to cross in front of my car and across a lane to a grocery cart corral. She was waiting by their vehicle for him to bring a cart over so she could put his toddler sister in it and push her inside.

This was a new procedure to me. I would have thought it would be safer to take them both in by hand (or carry the toddler) and set them up in a cart INSIDE the store, rather than have him run across the parking lot for a cart.

But to each his own.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
I used to get irritated when someone would stop and wait for my spot when I was obviously loading a toddler, a baby, a stroller, shopping bags... I sure didn't hurry to load so they could have my spot. Most of the time there was a spot available a little further out.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
As I dropped my son off at Football practice this morning, I witness this lady holding up traffic for a better part of 5 minutes while she took her time getting her 3 maybe 4 year old out of the car seat.
Simple solution. Get out of your car and offer to help her.

Or you can the guy who sits in his car drinking Starbucks while a woman who could have a special needs child tries to get him out of his car seat, and then be the guy who complains on the internet. Yeah.... that guy. Your choice.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-24-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I used to get irritated when someone would stop and wait for my spot when I was obviously loading a toddler, a baby, a stroller, shopping bags... I sure didn't hurry to load so they could have my spot. Most of the time there was a spot available a little further out.
I agree.

Thankfully, most cars moved on once they saw the twin stroller.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Simple solution. Get out of your car and offer to help her.

Or you can the guy who sits in his car drinking Starbucks while a woman who could have a special needs child tries to get him out of his car seat, and then be the guy who complains on the internet. Yeah.... that guy. Your choice.
If she not had a phone in her ear, talking I would have
The phone killed any help she was getting from me!
The easier solution would have been to either close her door, or unload from the other side.
I cant solve all the stupid, selfish peoples problems.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 PM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
only one person got it right so far. It doesn't matter how long it takes if the person with the kid just shows the slightest bit of consideration by closing the doors over for just a few seconds so the other driver can park.
this ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics