Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Still hurting, and now I'm drugged up, so I keep falling asleep while trying to put together today's Qs! LOL Get well soon.

Ready?

Today's Question(s):
Which of the classics did you read:
in school (name three)? Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Green Hornet.
for pleasure (name three)? Mechanics Illustrated, Car Craft, Playboy.

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at bowling, but an utter klutz when it comes to cooking.

Just for Fun:
Which of the following did you enjoy as a kid:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek? XX
other? Kick the can.

Yay hump day, onward to the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,877,050 times
Today's Question(s):
Which of the classics did you read: I'm a reader & it's been over forty years since I was in high school, so I don't remember what was read in school & what I just picked up at home. Saying that, six classics that come to mind....
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Great Expectations
The Grapes of Wrath
David Copperfield.... Lots of Dickens
Julius Caesar..... Lots of Shakespeare
Wuthering Heights

My daughters liked Anne of Green Gables, books by Madeleine L'Engle like A Wrinkle in Time.... Roald Dahl, The BFG.... Lois Lowry, Number the Stars, The Giver...

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at _______________, but an utter klutz when it comes to _________________. Well, part of being a ninja is stealth, so I'll say I'm a ninja at being quiet, keeping secrets..... and an utter klutz when it comes to sports.

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?
other? All of the above. Also, marbles.... building forts, riding bikes. We'd head into the fields & woods in the morning and not come in until dinner. We had imaginations and made up all kinds of games. Maybe that's why we still don't follow game rules and make up our own. And then, because of living on a farm, I spent a lot of time with the horses.

Hope your back feels better soon, PatsCats! Cold packs have helped me in the past.

Happy mid week, all!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Still hurting, and now I'm drugged up, so I keep falling asleep while trying to put together today's Qs! LOL I know your computer was sick but didn't know you were too....hope ya feel better soon.

Ready?

Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)? I don't remember!.....wait! I think Animal Farm is one I remember.
for pleasure (name three)? Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web and A Christmas Carol.

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at keeping secrets, but an utter klutz when it comes to computers.

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing? Sometimes
hide-and-seek?
other? Playing Red Light Green Light, Stick ball....

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1951 Novel "Catcher in Rye" by J. D. Salinger published
Birthday: 1821 Mary Baker Eddy, US Evangelist, founder of Christian Science
Politics/Public Affairs: 1990 Ukraine declares independence
Science/Technology: 1994 Comet Shoemaker-Levy collides with Jupiter
Sports: 1994 Baseball Night in America premieres, no Saturday day games

Today’s Word: secretory
Pronunciation: (si-KREE-tuh-ree)
Meaning: adjective: Relating to the release of a substance from a cell, gland, or an organ.
Etymology: From Latin secernere (to distinguish), from se- (apart) + cernere (to sift). Ultimately from the Indo-European root krei- (to sift or to discriminate), which also gave us crime, crisis, certain, excrement, secret, critic, garble, hypocrisy, and diacritical.
Earliest documented use: 1692.

Today is:
Fresh Spinach Day
Slow day today.

Quote of the Day:
"I would no more quarrel with a man because of his religion than I would because of his art." ~ Mary Baker Eddy ~

Have a good one everyone!
Happy Hump Day to all.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,855,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Still hurting, and now I'm drugged up, so I keep falling asleep while trying to put together today's Qs! LOL Take good care of yourself PatsCats!

Ready?

Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)? The Scarlet Letter, Huckleberry Finn, Moby-Dick
for pleasure (name three)? Little Women, The Great Gatsby, Sybil

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at keeping things organized - a place for everything & everything in its place, but an utter klutz when it comes to putting anything together like shelving/furniture that comes in pieces!

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?
other? Playing Cowboys & Indians - sometimes the cowgirl complete w/my cap gun & cowgirl outfit, sometimes the Indian w/my one-feather headdress, skating on the sidewalks/streets w/those attached skates that tore the soles off of my old shoes, swimming at the pool & beach & fishing on the boat, softball in the backyards, playing marbles, catching tadpoles, playing on the swings & monkey bars, climbing fences, playing in the dirt and making mud pies, chasing fireflies, riding my bike all over the neighborhoods, etc. - I was an outdoor kid from morning 'til night - but ugh, if we couldn't go out because of weather or sick, then we played dolls or board games inside!

Today in History:

Meaning: adjective: Relating to the release of a substance from a cell, gland, or an organ.
Etymology: From Latin secernere (to distinguish), from se- (apart) + cernere (to sift). Ultimately from the Indo-European root krei- (to sift or to discriminate), which also gave us crime, crisis, certain, excrement, secret, critic, garble, hypocrisy, and diacritical.

Today is:
Fresh Spinach Day
Slow day today

Quote of the Day: ... or politics!
"I would no more quarrel with a man because of his religion than I would because of his art." ~ Mary Baker Eddy ~

Thanks for the QotD, PatsCats, sure hope you're feeling much better soon!

Happy whimsical Wednesday All!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,457,530 times
Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)?
: i read a lot of italian literature classics for school (maybe 15 if not more, from the homer's iliad to Umberto Eco...) because in our schools literature is considerate really important (italian literature is a compulsory subject with 4 or more hour a week for all the secondary school...). for example we analysed all "the Divine Comedy" (we used 1h a week for 3 years... it is really difficult, because it's written in a italian of 700 years ago... in practice we had to translate it). about english literature i read 1984 (i don't know if you consider it a classic or not, however we studied it as literature), Ivanhoe and The Picture of Dorian Gray. and also some Shakespeare.

for pleasure (name three)? literature was not exactly my favorite subject, i usually prefer more recent books. and then i finished school just 2 years ago. the only literature book i read in this period is the "sistema periodico" by primo levi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Periodic_Table_(book))
i like this book because i'm a chemistry student and i'm studing in the same university Levi attended. in particular i found really interesting the first part because it was settled in the university were i go everyday. there are also a lot of paragraphs that show the poetic side of chemistry... just fabulous

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at _______________, but an utter klutz when it comes to _________________.

i don't fell like a "ninja" at all in those days (i've done an exam this morning and there is another one next Friday... i'm really tired right now ).

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?
other?

i remember some epic afternoons and evening playing hide-and-seek with some friends of mine... i live in the countryside, so there were a lot of fantastic places to hide.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Default Wednesday's Questions, July 16, 2014
Mornin' all!

Still hurting, and now I'm drugged up, so I keep falling asleep while trying to put together today's Qs! LOL
Get well soon.
Ready?

Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)?
for pleasure (name three)?

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at _______________, but an utter klutz when it comes to _________________.

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?
other?

Today in History:
Science/Technology: 1994 Comet Shoemaker-Levy collides with Jupiter "Poof"

Today is:
Fresh Spinach Day
Slow day today.

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
[quote=PatsCats;35671644]Mornin' all!

Still hurting, and now I'm drugged up, so I keep falling asleep while trying to put together today's Qs! LOL

Sorry Pat

Ready?

Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)? I remember Great Expectations and Gullivers's Travels. I remember reading a book by Dick Gregory that changed my views about race that were wrongly pounded into my head by small minded relatives.
Nothing that I could remember but I read a lot as a teen.

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at _home repair projects______________, but an utter klutz when it comes to _anything that has to do with good balance but it's getting better.________________.

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?........Still do with the shorties.
other?

Today in History:

Today is:
Fresh Spinach Day...Yum but we just picked two really nice broccoli heads.
Slow day today.

Quote of the Day:

You too Pat. I hope you feel better. I have to stop working these long stretches with only one day off in between. I had some good news the other day at work. Two people from night shift are going to day shift so they will continue to be short, even with the new hires

Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,075,818 times
Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)? Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities
for pleasure (name three)? Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at passing a football to a receiver, but an utter klutz when it comes to hitting a baseball.

Just for Fun:
jump rope?
hop scotch?
ball and jacks?
tree climbing?
hide-and-seek?
other?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,300,120 times
Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)? Much Ado About Nothing, Of Mice and Men, The Woman in Black
for pleasure (name three)? War and Peace, Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at ________cooking_______, but an utter klutz when it comes to ______DIY______.

Just for Fun:
jump rope? Was alright
hop scotch? Nah
ball and jacks? Fun
tree climbing? Fooking love climbing trees, still do
hide-and-seek? Yup
other? Loved most childhood games, hope to teach them to my kid as she won't learn the British ones here

Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Today's Question(s):
in school (name three)?
Romeo and Juliet
Tom Sawyer
A Tale of Two Cities

Gone With the Wind (not sure this would qualify as a classic)
Great Expectations
Little Women

Bonus Question(s):
I'm a ninja at spelling, but an utter klutz when it comes to math.

Just for Fun:
jump rope? Yes
hop scotch? Yes
ball and jacks? Yes
tree climbing? No, I was too short
hide-and-seek? Yes
other? dodgeball, tetherball, swings, slides, monkey bars, bike riding, roller skates

Thanks, PatsCats. I hope you feel better soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics