Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:13 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers, and it is another ultra fantastic day here.

Yesterday was superb and it was topped off by heading out further into the countryside after work to a glorious pub where we held an event for a colleague.

Today we have a massively interesting talk at work which I'm really looking forward to.

Yesterday at work I was aware of a strange mechanical sound which was at odds with my 17th Century surroundings. It sounded a bit like an alarm but it wasn't.

That's got me thinking about today's peeve- it's weird how these ideas come into my head as I type away.

Alarms!

For every true alarm how many false ones are there?

Smoke alarms, burglar alarms, car alarms, you name it.

They all add to the cacophony of daily life and increase our stress levels, though for some I guess the presence of an alarm can give peace of mind.

Over to you. What's your take on these?

My POTD is;

False alarms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:30 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times
Some shots taken a few years ago at work;

Old 05-16-2014, 04:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,300,120 times
False fire alarms - when I lived in student housing when I first moved to Finland the fire alarms went off pretty regularly, usually from people making toast, but always we had to go outside, wait for the fire brigade to come and check through the entire building before we could go back in. Not fun when it happened late at night or early in the morning!

And although its not really a false alarm, just a practice alarm really, it really freaked me out when I first came to Finland and I heard the city alarm being tested - sounds like an air raid siren! It used to be weekly then (I think) and was always how I knew it was 6pm on a Monday.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 AM

126,522 posts, read 19,268,793 times
Happy weekend Jezer and great photos again,just wonderful...False alarms I never really had a problem with it..but my mother recently had..3 x in a row the apartment hall alarm going off and she was moved out with her walker in the cool night. Imagine standing there all fragile and cold for 1/2 hour each time,just to be told "Sorry its a false alarm",yet it is better to be safe than sorry. Great peeve Jezer

Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 AM

7,284 posts, read 7,191,488 times
False fire alarms is just on of the reasons I moved out of the dorms in college for my jr & sr years.

Kids can be so dumb...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,085,922 times
Good peeve, Jezer. Reminded me of when I first moved to Bocas from Colorado and I was green. It was evening and a loud siren went off - sounded like the air raid sirens you hear in the movies right before the bombs start falling Didn't know if the island was getting bombed, invaded or what. Turns out was just curfew and that's how they let the minors know it's time to get home and off the streets. I felt like an idiot though lol

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,849,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

False alarms.
Talk about raising your stress level......a car alarm, house alarm or smoke alarm will really drive me nuts, I have to get as far away as possible. My mom recently had an alarm installed in her house and she has trouble with it right now. Every time you open a door it "chimes".....beep, beep, beep! "garage door open" it's so annoying! The chime can be turned off but she doesn't want to turn it off for some reason and it scares the bejeebers out of me every time I open her door. Then she can't figure out how to set it to away, so there's a whole lot of beeping and talking going on when she's trying to do it. Alarms are good don't get me wrong but there sure are a whole lot of false ones to go around!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM

24,685 posts, read 26,256,936 times
False alarms.

The car alarms that go off accidentally in my neighborhood are a real PITA, but Ive been guilty of that myself.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM

44,467 posts, read 20,252,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My POTD is;

False alarms.
Great peeve, Jezer! At my last job, my firm's office was on the second floor of a bank building downtown. I had a corner office, with a street on one side and a busy parking lot on the other side. Also, one of the bank's alarms was just below my window. Over a period of several months, the alarm would go off once or twice a week for no apparent reason. It was terribly loud and scared the out of me every time it went sounded. It always took the bank a while to shut off the alarm, and I couldn't work at all while it was blaring. I just walked to the other end of the building to save my sanity.

Also at the same office, car alarms would often start sounding when no one was around them. Everyone just ignored them. Eventually someone would run out of a nearby building to shut off their alarm. It was very annoying. I don't see what good car alarms do when everyone ignores them!

I must confess to being part of the problem once, though. I had arrived home late at night and it was very dark. When I clicked my car's remote to lock it, I accidentally pressed the panic button and set the alarm off. I don't have a garage, so my car is parked between my house and the house next door. I felt terrible about setting the alarm off so late at night, as my neighbors' bedroom is very close to where I park.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
False alarms.

Hmm.. True.. the number of False Alarms is... Alarming..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics