Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 AM

16,819 posts, read 17,587,124 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's nice and sunny at the moment, beautiful in fact.

Anyone heading out now would think that Spring is at its most gorgeous and head out in spring like clothes without a care in the world.

However come mid morning things are due to go downhill with a lot of rain coming in.

I'm in and out of the main building at work today so I'll take a coat, a brolly (umbrella) or both.

Have you ever been caught out by a false bright start to the day?

I'm sorry Joy, and those in drought hit CA and even TX, but let's hear if you've been caught out before, and it doesn't just have to be rain.

I forgot sunscreen one day when the morning was pretty dull.

The POTD is;

Being ill prepared for when the weather changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 AM

I really am devoid of new photos, so here are some old ones of Yosemite, talking about CA;

Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 AM

44,756 posts, read 62,145,227 times
I remember those pictures of the Half Dome, very cool

Our weather here is pretty constant so the only time we have a problem is when traveling and maybe a sudden storm pops up. Generally though we're pretty much prepared. An umbrella can be your best friend. We carry one in each vehicle at all times, along with a flashlight and emergency stuff.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 AM

30,950 posts, read 16,537,544 times
yea, but not with rain. At least not often. More common for me is it being cold in the morning so I wear a heavy sweatshirt/sweater and jeans. By late morning, it's warm enough for shorts and t-shirt and there I am in way too warm clothes.

as in today: 83 day time temp; 55 a night. Used to it now but it took a while.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,856,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I always seem to be ill-prepared for the weather.....I usually wear a raincoat with a hood but during the spring and summer I'll forget it if the sun is shining and then get caught without an umbrella or coat. You really have to pay attention to the weather forecast to be totally prepared I guess, which is not something I normally do. I've had to stand and wait at the store for a downpour to let up before I dash for the car, still getting wet but thankfully I don't have a hairdo that will ruin if it gets wet. It's the chill that I don't like when you get in the car after getting wet....brrrrr!!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 AM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Good peeve, Jez. Yep, it's happened to me countless times. The weather here changes frequently. We can have what seems like 3 seasons in a 24-hour period. I live near the southern tip of Lake Michigan, and the huge lake has a big effect on our weather. If the direction of the wind changes, the heated or cooled (depending on the season) water from the lake makes the temperature rise or fall quickly. In winter, when wind comes south over the lake from Canada, it picks up moisture from the lake and dumps heavy snow in a narrow band right down the middle of my county! It's called lake-effect snow and it can wreak havoc.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Yes, it is a good peeve!

I only went out without my umbrella!

It absolutely chucked it down.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM

24,696 posts, read 26,281,122 times

It always seems like our umbrellas are in the wrong place when we need them.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
I never worry about the weather in Az. it seldom changes – hot to hot is normal and no rain. However this morning is another beautiful day in the low 72’s and the sun is out like always. Now {{{ that’s }}} the problem – too much sun can cause problems for us if you’re out in it for even a short length of time.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM

23,490 posts, read 29,418,702 times
I've gotten into the habit of always carrying a mask, with me, in Las Vegas, as you never know when the winds are going to kick up and you have all that fine dust flying into your lungs, and my lungs are compromised as they are!

Our average annual windspeed in Las Vegas runs 9.3MPH, compare that to the highest in the country, Cheyenne, WY at 13.9MPH, and the lowest, in L.A. and Phoenix both tied at 6.2MPH!

I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, and I never complained about unexpected wind until I came to Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics