Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never seen a sign in the middle of the road like that.
Not living in your area though I would have no clue if it is legal however, I would think common sense would tell you that it is not legal and a safety hazard for those on the street.

The point behind the sign is probably to get people to slow down on that street however, there are better ways to go about doing that.
My point exactly. My street is in appalling condition with several large potholes and a very bumpy surface. It is notorious in this area and is due to be resurfaced beginning in late spring. Due to the condition of the street, people rarely speed on it because they don't want to destroy their car's suspension. So the street kind of self-regulates its own speed.

Since the street IS due for resurfacing very soon, I suggested to my city council representative that perhaps we could have road bumps installed to calm traffic, since people will definitely drive faster on my street once it's fixed. I loathe road bumps, but to me they are preferable to obnoxious signs in the middle of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 PM

501 posts, read 934,146 times
The police deal with criminal issues, not civil issues. I don't know of any criminal codes that a person would be breaking by placing a sign in the street. However, there are civil codes (city sign code, etc) that are probably broken but would be enforced through other means than the police.

My opinion is clear: Streets - in particular, intersections and through streets - are not places where children should be playing and are generally not safe for children to be playing in. Placing a sign indicating children are playing in the street invites kids to play at places that are unsafe rather than safe places like back yards and parks. I do not agree with the use of these signs.

In my neighborhood, a particular person uses them when he washes his car and no kids are outside. I plan to photograph that inappropriate use and turn it into the city code enforcement because I do not like people placing obstructions in the street so they can have more room to wash their car in the street rather than their driveway.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
The police deal with criminal issues, not civil issues. I don't know of any criminal codes that a person would be breaking by placing a sign in the street. However, there are civil codes (city sign code, etc) that are probably broken but would be enforced through other means than the police.
In this city, calling the police was the correct move. I just think the officer was wrong. This is a quiet suburb, not a crime-filled urban area. The police here are usually busier handing out tickets than fighting crime.

Quote:
My opinion is clear: Streets - in particular, intersections and through streets - are not places where children should be playing and are generally not safe for children to be playing in. Placing a sign indicating children are playing in the street invites kids to play at places that are unsafe rather than safe places like back yards and parks. I do not agree with the use of these signs.

In my neighborhood, a particular person uses them when he washes his car and no kids are outside. I plan to photograph that inappropriate use and turn it into the city code enforcement because I do not like people placing obstructions in the street so they can have more room to wash their car in the street rather than their driveway.
Good! He sounds like a jerk!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
We used to have a few families who stuck these annoying things in the middle of the street when I lived in a development in another state. The kids played in the middle of the street all the time! The parents would call the police because people wanted to drive on the street and asked them to get out of the road. The police told them to get out and stay out of the road. The road was made for cars and not children to play in.

Every single house in that development sat on at least half an acre. So there yards were plenty large enough to play in. This issue only happened on one area of one street and the people were a problem with many things. The would park on both sides of the street in a bend so no one could drive down the street. The HOA must have sent them letters like crazy because they were always complaining at the meetings about how unfair all these rules were and how much the police sucked.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
If your location is correct try this:

https://discovery.cor.gov/public/ps/...256C3E0062C052

Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
Or littering? Or obstructing the road?

Can you call the city? Is there a road or traffic department?

Why on earth are people's children not trained about staying out of the street?

The first thing I thought, too, is it's a "Pedophiles Welcome" sign, if there ever was one. Just like those babies on board stickers, or the stickers that represent the mother family, and children, including their sexes that people put on the back of their cars. Who would I follow home if I was a sicko? Maybe it's because I'm in CA and we get the Amber alerts a lot, but I cringe when I see people being so naive about advertising not only that they have children, but where they can be found.

Anyway, I think somebody ought to run over one of those darn cones/signs, do some damage to their car, and then sue the person who put it there. Then, let them prove it was legal. Not. If it's not put there by the city, I don't see how it can be legal to put an obstruction in the road.

I bet that cop put some out on his road for his kids, he he. I don't see how he can be right, though.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If your location is correct try this:

https://discovery.cor.gov/public/ps/...256C3E0062C052
Thanks; bookmarked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Or littering? Or obstructing the road?

Can you call the city? Is there a road or traffic department?

Why on earth are people's children not trained about staying out of the street?

The first thing I thought, too, is it's a "Pedophiles Welcome" sign, if there ever was one. Just like those babies on board stickers, or the stickers that represent the mother family, and children, including their sexes that people put on the back of their cars. Who would I follow home if I was a sicko? Maybe it's because I'm in CA and we get the Amber alerts a lot, but I cringe when I see people being so naive about advertising not only that they have children, but where they can be found.

Anyway, I think somebody ought to run over one of those darn cones/signs, do some damage to their car, and then sue the person who put it there. Then, let them prove it was legal. Not. If it's not put there by the city, I don't see how it can be legal to put an obstruction in the road.

I bet that cop put some out on his road for his kids, he he. I don't see how he can be right, though.
That was my thought process too. The cop seemed baffled by my objections to the sign, like I hated children or something. Just because I don't have any of my own doesn't mean I think it's OK to run over other people's, but like someone else said the road is for CARS...not stupid signs!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 PM

32 posts, read 45,109 times
I live on a small bay with boat docks. Every time someone put any of these near my driveway I would chuck them into the bay and laugh as they floated away. It would be funnier if it was plywood because it would sink and never to be seen again.

in a similar vein some unscrupulous person would always try to dock their yacht on my house's dock without paying dock rent. One day I got sick of his 60-foot-yacht being there and used bolt cutters to cut the mooring lines. I then laughed as the boat floated away into nothingness.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 AM

309 posts, read 516,225 times
It's ok to be placed by the curb or on their own driveway to call attention to drivers that there may be kids crossing the street.

It's not ok to mark a public road as their playground, and hold passerbys responsible for looking after their offsprings, while completely disregarding the public's safety.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
In my subdivision the speed limit is 25 mph and as far as I can see, fewer than half the people obey it. Just as many ignore the "No Soliciting" sign at the entrance. So why would they pay any attention to a speed limit sign put up by non-authorities? If I wanted to keep kids safe, I'd teach them to get out of the way of cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics