Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times

Advertisements

I saw something that interested me, but like a lot of things it got deleted.

This subject of Getting Old, as in aging.

What is Old to you???

What do you think it will be like to get Old????

Is it alright to bash Senior Citizens??? Lot of people seem to think it is Ok.

How about labelling them with a stereoype????

Is it Ok to use euthanasia if we get too many of them hanging around and costing too much?? Should not an overgrown vine be trimmed a bit. Just a bit, don't have to do them all in. Should certain classes or types be given preference in a World of shrinking resources??? Should they get special tax, discount and economic treatment as a class??? Should there even be different classes, shouldn't one size fit all?

Is Old a lifestyle??? If not, why can't it get the same status as being Gay and everybody must Love You or at least understand why the older person is sort of Ok. Should Old Sex be thought of as erotic.

Do you dread seeing your life ticking away????

What should they be called to get public respect??? Was Senior Citizen a good choice?? Was age 55 far to low to set too have the Title "Senior Citizen"???

Are old men and old women the same in your eyes????

I did note it is Ok to remove their driving privileges to protect everybody else??? Should we not restrict them in many other ways????

You can limit your answers to that 5000 words or whatever limit thing there is??? Such a poor subject, I doubt anybody else will have much an opinion. Just pick from the above an area that turns you on or off. Sort of why I over primed the pump.

Do remember it is a One Way street and we all must go thru this stage if we are to survive our full life term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 07:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Is it Ok to use euthanasia if we get too many of them hanging around and costing too much??

That made me laugh so hard!!!

I think 85 is old, no it isntok to make fun of them. As far as Euthenasia, that depends on what the person wants.

I dont want to get old could prove painful!

All bad drivers should not be allowed no matter what age.
I hate getting old
I think old people are cute
some do smell funny though, sorry.
I think you are as old as you feel, my dad is 70 and acts like he is 35
I think calling them seniors is fine and yes 55 it to young to label them.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,981 times
I think "old" is all in the mind and spirit. Yes, you can age and get older in years, however, haven't you ever seen elderly people (my grandmother for example) who were just fun and cute and full of life no matter what their age? Then haven't you seen younger people (even people my age...30's) who act like old miserable frigs? It's all in the mind and spirit...no matter how old you are, you should never let the child inside die.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Cosmic

The wife and I literally cracked up laughing while reading your topic. I almost fell out of the chair at the computer!! Some things true, other things...not sure.
The wife is 58 and I'm 57. Do we sometimes feel "old"........oh yes! Our bones/muscles can remind us of our age when mowing the lawn
(push mower) and feeling the cold temps of winter here in the Parker, Colorado area. A couple of years ago, sitting down to breakfast at IHOP, we noticed the Senior Citizen menue said age 55+. To say the least, to see that was a shock to us.
I remember when I was in my 20's/30's, if an older (50's/60's) person would tell how they ache from doing something, I'd say to myself "there is no way I will feel those aches/pains when I get that age". Well, guess what, I now know how they felt.
Now, something funny: I remember in 2001, when the wife and I lived by a college in Southern Calif. and a lot of the tenants at the apartment complex were college student age. I had gotten out of the pool and as we walked by these kids sitting in lounge chairs by the pool, I said "take a good look, this is what you will look like when you are in your 50's". The wife cracked up and told me later, "maybe we should bring mom over here and let them see what they will look like when they are in their 80's!" We both laughed our butts off.
Getting old isn't necessarily fun, but I still sometimes act like I'm in my 20's. The wife loves it when I'm that funny/fun to be around.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:45 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I think "old" is all in the mind and spirit. Yes, you can age and get older in years, however, haven't you ever seen elderly people (my grandmother for example) who were just fun and cute and full of life no matter what their age? Then haven't you seen younger people (even people my age...30's) who act like old miserable frigs? It's all in the mind and spirit...no matter how old you are, you should never let the child inside die.
One name comes to mind. **** Jagger

This guy amazes me. 62 years old and still running up and down the stage for two hours. He can out do alot of people.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,981 times
Yes, I agree, I've seen them in concert....however, I think it's the drugs that keep them going. After doing them for so many years, it becomes part of your life (like brushing your teeth in the morning)....I think if they stopped doing drugs, they'd drop dead. (Then again, they keep digging Keith Richards up from the grave and he's still going.) I've seen Ozzy too and he's another one, the guy can jump around now more than I could ten years ago!!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I agree so much with this! Your age is just a number of the years you've been here. I try not to think much about it.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Cosmic

I remember in 2001, when the wife and I lived by a college in Southern Calif. and a lot of the tenants at the apartment complex were college student age. I had gotten out of the pool and as we walked by these kids sitting in lounge chairs by the pool, I said "take a good look, this is what you will look like when you are in your 50's". The wife cracked up and told me later, "maybe we should bring mom over here and let them see what they will look like when they are in their 80's!" We both laughed our butts off.
ha ha ha!!!!! great story!!!

I'm only 26... so I'm not pretending to know anything about getting old (although approaching 30 is sorta scaring me). but i will say that i feel very stronlgy that my generation has lost respect for our elders! i love to talk to people that are older than me, i think they are a vast resource of knowledge. i have learned a lot about life from listening to my grandma and grandpa. i think it is so sad that these days old people are stuck in nursing homes. i watched my great grandma live her last days in a nursing home. i think we as a society owe these people more respect than that. i told my parents that no matter what- i am NEVER doing that to them.

here is my plan: when i get old, i figure there is no reason to keep a nice figure anymore, so i am going to bake, bake, bake cookies all day. and eat whatever i want! and i am going to get really fat and jolly! and finally when i am 400 lbs and about to have a heart attack, i am going to jump out of an airplane and go out with style! i'd rahter die like that than in a nursing home.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Years ago I remember reading something that Cher said: getting old sucks, I can't find anything good about it. So far I feel the same way, pain popping up left & right, body going south, wrinkles and tired a lot easier. I fight it and in my mind I'm younger but on some days my body wins the fight.

Seniors are treated terrible, which I have strongly stated in other threads. The other day I went to get an estimate on work for my car and there was an elderly woman leaving telling the girl at the desk about how her husband use to take care of this stuff and he died and now she's alone. It's so sad.....she just wanted someone to talk to, she's lonely and most people won't give her the time of day and just listen for five minutes.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:23 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,646 times
Quote:
i think we as a society owe these people more respect than that.
I so agree with that!

Quote:
here is my plan: when i get old, i figure there is no reason to keep a nice figure anymore, so i am going to bake, bake, bake cookies all day. and eat whatever i want! and i am going to get really fat and jolly! and finally when i am 400 lbs and about to have a heart attack, i am going to jump out of an airplane and go out with style! i'd rahter die like that than in a nursing home.
Love it!

I've always been an active person. I do see a lot of seniors here in FL that can barely walk. I always tell my husband, "Don't ever let me get that old!" I think quality of life is soooo much more important than if we can keep people breathing until they're 103. If my quality of life is gone--pull the plug, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics