Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,022,225 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Do you have contact with any of your old friends from school?
Not I!

If so, how many?

Were you close friends in school, or more like acquaintances?

Are you closer with them now, or about the same?

Bonus Question:
Do you have coordinating colors/patterns in the rooms of your house?
Very little.

Just for Fun:
I use the following on a regular basis:
Magnifying glass
Coffee cup
Staples
Remote control
Dictionary
Blender

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1964 Rolling Stone concert in Ireland halts after 12 minutes due to riot
Birthday: 1921 Whitney M. Young, Jr.
Politics: 1990 Bosnia-Hercegovina declares independence
Pop Culture: 1968 Beatles close Apple Boutique, giving clothes away for free
Science/Technology: 1774 Joseph Priestley discovers oxygen
Sports: 2012 U.S. Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps wins a record 19th Olympic medal, with gold in the 4x200metres freestyle relay

Today’s Word:
cognoscenti
Pronunciation: (kon-yuh-SHEN-tee, kog-nuh-)
Meaning: noun: Those with informed appreciation of a particular topic, such as fine arts or literature.
Etymology: Plural of obsolete Italian cognoscente, from conoscere (to know). Modern Italian form of the word, conoscente, means acquaintance -- you want to use the word intenditore or conoscitore if you mean cognoscente. Earliest documented use: 1777.

Today is:
Mutt's Day Alaskan?
Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day

Quote of the Day:
"It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr. ~

Have a great day everyone!
Thanks PatsCats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM

21,621 posts, read 8,785,389 times
Today's Question(s):
Yes

If so, how many?
Three

Somewhere in between. We had classes together, ate lunch together, were invited to the same parties, but didn't hang out all the time.

Not as close since we are geographically separated. We keep in touch by Facebook and/or annual Christmas cards.

Bonus Question:
Yes, I prefer a neutral color scheme and use a lot of white and off-white, beige, reddish brown and sage green.

Just for Fun
:

Magnifying glass no
Coffee cup yes
Staples no
Remote control yes
Dictionary yes
Blender no

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1964 Rolling Stone concert in Ireland halts after 12 minutes due to riot
Birthday: 1921 Whitney M. Young, Jr.
Politics: 1990 Bosnia-Hercegovina declares independence
Pop Culture: 1968 Beatles close Apple Boutique, giving clothes away for free
Science/Technology: 1774 Joseph Priestley discovers oxygen
Sports: 2012 U.S. Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps wins a record 19th Olympic medal, with gold in the 4x200metres freestyle relay

Today’s Word:
cognoscenti
Pronunciation: (kon-yuh-SHEN-tee, kog-nuh-)
Meaning: noun: Those with informed appreciation of a particular topic, such as fine arts or literature.
Etymology: Plural of obsolete Italian cognoscente, from conoscere (to know). Modern Italian form of the word, conoscente, means acquaintance -- you want to use the word intenditore or conoscitore if you mean cognoscente. Earliest documented use: 1777.

Today is:
Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day Yay! I used to play the bassoon. That's an uncommon instrument for sure. I played it uncommonly badly.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 PM

589 posts, read 7,652,827 times

Mornin' all!

Welcome to today's questions.

Today's Question(s):
Do you have contact with any of your old friends from school? Yup, there's a group of us that started hanging out back in junior high and we all still see each other on a regular basis although a couple of the other originals have since passed away. A few guys of this core group got married to a few of the girls and most of us are members of the same car club (Canadian Rodders). A lot of our kids hang out together as well and some of them are married to each other - they're mostly in their mid to late 20's now.

If so, how many? 10-11 guys and 9-10 girls

Were you close friends in school, or more like acquaintances? We were pretty much inseperable (<- I spelled it that way instead of inseparable so that you could all tell me I need to use the dictionary more often; see below...)

Are you closer with them now, or about the same? We all relate towards each other pretty much the same as we did 30 years ago.

Bonus Question:
Do you have coordinating colors/patterns in the rooms of your house? Nope, each individual room has its own character

Just for Fun:
Magnifying glass - Nope, just stronger glasses
Coffee cup - Does the sacred coffee mug get used every morning? I mean like, does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?
Staples - That's how I make sure that pages don't go missing from signed contracts
Remote control - Don't watch much TV and I still know how to use the controls on a radio
Dictionary - Seldom need it (disregard above reference to inseperable...)
Blender - Well of course! How in hell else do you make blended drinks? (Frozen Daquiri anyone?)

Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,510,884 times
Today's Question(s):
Not at this point

Some of both

Bonus Question:
The den has blue carpet and chairs.

Just for Fun:
Magnifying glass nope
Coffee cup not for coffee
Staples sometimes
Remote control daily
Dictionary online, from time to time
Blender not usually

Today is:
Mutt's Day

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM

438 posts, read 662,446 times

since were were four years old

If so, how many?

a few

good friends in school, more like acquaintances now.

Bonus Question:

white walls.

Magnifying glass
Coffee cup
Staples
Remote control
Dictionary
Blender

good day all~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics