Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 AM

16,725 posts, read 17,502,060 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Phew- it was a bit wet last night and we were all out to a musical performance that Mrs J was part of. I'm now debating whether to go to the monthly car breakfast meet up. Not sure.

I have just sorted out my breakfast of fruit and yogurt.

There are two small pots of fresh mixed fruit that Mrs J got me yesterday as a top up, as I had requested. I checked the dates and the Use By date is 26th July. This 'premium' chain of supermarkets has let us down before and Mrs J will be phoning them later.

So, and not for the first time our POTD centres around sell by/use by dates, and is;

Out of date stock being sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 AM

I'm running short of up to date photos, so here are some from last Saturday. They are of the hill climb event run fro a local farm;

Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 AM

44,699 posts, read 61,868,751 times
Out of date stock being sold.

Yes I hate when that happens. Been fooled a few times on grocer items. They're suppose to remove them by law here if they are past date on edibles.

I like car photos, keep them coming Jeezer...

Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,939,360 times
I have mixed feelings about this one because I have a bottle of malt vinegar and it has an expiration date. How in the world can malt vinegar go bad? I remember a pub across the street from us in London that had a crock of pickled onions that was probably as old as the pub - and they always tasted great (I was young so my stomach was quite forgiving).

However, I must say I do hate it when I shop at a "high-end" grocer and they sell me outdated product.

I also noticed I have a bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol - it has a use-by date as well (how can alcohol go bad).
And I just checked my jars of honey - they have expiration dates and honey can't spoil. Honey has been found in Egyptian tombs that was still edible.

Anyway, sometimes it's necessary to label expiration dates and sometimes the producers do it just because it's the law.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 AM

589 posts, read 7,653,312 times
I think the only way to make sure something's not past the "sell by" date is to just get it right off the farm.

(And speaking of farms...it's amazing what you can find on some of the old prairie farms; like this one in Neville, Saskatchewan.)

Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 AM

21,631 posts, read 8,792,721 times
Great pictures, Jezer and I love that old truck, Grouch! Not being a sports car person, I am more enchanted by the rolling English countryside.

As to the peeve, I agree with Dirt Grinder. Some grocery items will be good even years past the expiration/expiry date, but the law requires that foods be so labeled. Sometimes the dates they pick are arbitrary. Yogurt and eggs are often good for weeks past the sell-by date. Canned/tinned goods can last for up to five years. However, in the case of an item that's perishable, such as fresh fruit, you should take it back to the store and get an exchange.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,939,360 times
Grouch, is that photo from canadianrodder?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 AM

Mrs J has been on the phone and got a voucher.

The thing is this supermarket is not cheap and it's not the first time this has happened with perishable goods.

Standards must be maintained and it's partly up to consumers to make sure they are ((says Jezer in most official sounding pompous voice! ).

Damn- I knew I left that truck somewhere!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 AM

401 posts, read 480,645 times
Glad you were able to get a voucher Jezer. They definitely should've pulled that stuff from the shelf.

I haven't had a problem with buying stuff that is out of date. My problem is using it up before it goes out of date. When you're a single person living by yourself, it's a lot harder to use up large quantities of stuff.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM

36,497 posts, read 16,091,955 times
Good Peeve Jezer, you got to watch those grocers!!

Same here Wilk!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics