Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,654,225 times

Advertisements

....well I do, most of it anyway

gonna need the sound up just a bit

http://moreoldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,710,151 times
Cool nice link

well this was my favorite show~Kimba the white lion I would sit in the living room to watch it and
my Mom would set up a tv table with my lunch on it

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/KimbatheWhiteLion.gif (broken link)

ty for sharing the link. It brought a tear to my eye but was at the same time making me smile. Nice reflection
of memories and changes thru life.

* and I really shed a tear when I saw the "1960 vette"!

Last edited by autumngal; 11-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: great music, woohoo!!! :)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,481,906 times
I didn't come around til the 70's I am a 1973 model

Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,178,874 times
I was born in the 60s but darn if I can remember Kimba....I was still pretty young when the 70s rolled around. I do remember watching Jonny Quest though...

Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,993,951 times
That was good da jammer and I remember all of those good ol’ days. Best times were dances in the church basement or at the school. Everyone brought their favorite 45s and there never was any trouble, everyone enjoyed themselves and had fun. Small home towns were great.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,432,802 times
We used to call those dances "sock hops" because we had to take off our shoes in the school gym

Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,620,292 times
I must admit to probably being the eldest 'peep' on this forum. In 1965 I was the Head bookkeeper for a university in St. Louis. What an experience! During this time I guess I can also admit to being a part of that generation. I was just young enough to feel compatible with the students. Those days were the 'bra-burning' days. Volkswagon vans with psychedelic colours and themes all over them. Guys with long hair for the first time. The campus ROTC was burned down and we couldn't get to our jobs for a few hours.

You still used the word 'gay' to describe a fun event or fun person. Anything but skirts or dresses for females was frowned on by management in most places. Ah...panty hose, what a thrill. Pointy toed shoes...that later we all paid for by experiencing 'hammer toes, deformed big toes, etc.

And don't forget 'wigs'. Most of us had at least two. One in that 'flip' style and one in an 'updo' or French roll. Penny loafers..had to really put a penny in the slot on the top of the shoe. Oh, and let's not forget...Polyester Pant suits for women in pastel colours, no less! Pony tails, both guys and gals. Still able to sit in a restaurant and put nickels in the juke box extension right in your booth. And 'drive-in theatres...hmmmm, won't go there...I could go on and on...but later

Much more...the variety of music was, IMHO, at the greatest. Still had ballads, some of our parents music and thanks to Elvis and the Beatles, now had our own music. Can you imagine going from Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Dave Brubeck to Bob Dylan? As the video said...it truly was the beginning of the end of the innocent era...how sad in many ways. Thanks da jammer....sigh, sigh.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,395,968 times
That was fun!

After being reminded that was the advent of acid rock, I now understand why music was never my forte.

Was anyone else surprised to see that teachers back then made higher than average salary?

The younger generation will never understand why us old fogies feel sorry for them. It's sad that the 60s were "truly the beginning of the end of the innocent era." I fondly recall roaming far and wide , and people today are afraid to leave their yards. Not even the parents of today's young people remember the age of innocence. Yes, many things have improved since then, but I think I'd rather have the innocence back.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,110,081 times
Thanks da! Brings back the best memories of growing up in both the 50's and the 60's! I graduated high school in 1963and wouldn't have traded my generation for anything! Best cars, music, clothes, dances, tv shows...etc., etc., etc.

Our priority going to school was not worrying if anyone had a gun...our priorities were: what we wore (had to have saddle shoes!); our hair, having a crush on somebody, who was dating who, did we get our homework done?, did we study for the test?, did we have a date for Friday or Saturday night?...just enjoying life and being kids. Oh my, and staying off the senior lawn if we were sophs or jrs!

Loved our fun times at the beach, crusing, going to parties....a great time!

Oh, and it was back then that we really needed VCRs or Tivo! Soooo many great shows on tv! Now I could give a hoot less if I even own a tv.

Thanks again for the memories!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,178,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Oh my, and staying off the senior lawn if we were sophs or jrs!
Seniors had their own lawn of grass that they took care of and no one could walk on it unless you were a senior?? I've never heard of that...is that what it was??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics