Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,342,646 times

Advertisements

First impressions sure are important!
I'm glad I made a good impression on my in laws when we first met. Hubby (well, Boyfriend at the time) and I were back from a vacation in Africa, we were really tired and of course not very stylish, and my fear was to make a blunder or something because of exhaustion. But I obviously did pretty well, and they liked me (and still do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM

21,613 posts, read 8,779,899 times
"Irish Welshperson," I like that, rural chick! Roland was an adorable little boy. That undated photo of Uncle Willie and Great-Grandma Elizabeth looks to be taken in the 19-teens based on the long skirt she is wearing. Same for the undated photo you posted, cloven.

Those are very good tips on how to make a good first impression. Looking a person in the eye is sometimes hard for me, too, because I am naturally shy. I have to force myself.

The most embarrassing "first impression" I ever made was when I was sixteen and going out on my very first date. I was extremely naive socially and had no idea what to expect. My date didn't have a driver's license, so he and his parents picked me up at my house. When his parents were chatting with my parents, I suddenly realized I didn't have any money and asked my dad, right in front of everybody, for my allowance. I wasn't sure if I would need to pay for myself! As my dad handed me the money, my date said, "Oh, you won't need that." This was more than 48 years ago, and I still get embarrassed thinking about my gaffe.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,390,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I like to see the photos here, too, instead of having them just get lost in the threads over at the Photo' forum.
....sharing them amongst friends!
I didn't mean to be a force for "off-topicness", thank you for your support & appreciation of the old pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
"Irish Welshperson," I like that, rural chick! Roland was an adorable little boy. That undated photo of Uncle Willie and Great-Grandma Elizabeth looks to be taken in the 19-teens based on the long skirt she is wearing. Same for the undated photo you posted, cloven.
Appreciate your guesswork.
Upon consulting the family tree (which lack dates that far back),
I determined that the older (b&w, undated) photo was of the parents of the woman in the 1953 color photo,
so they'd be my maternal great-grandparents (wow).
Makes sense that the photo would've been from about 30 or 40 years earlier, then-
since they appear to be just a bit younger than the next generation (in the dated picture).

On the designated topic: First impressions-well, I try to shake people's hands when first we meet.
Eye contact-that's hard at first, but if given enough time, I can manage it somewhat okay.
The big challenge for me is when there's many people in a given space (like meetings, groups, crowds)-
I "turn into a pumpkin", a la Cinderella, and lose my capacity to seem normal (function properly).
Dealing with getting to know only one new person at a time is what I'm much better at-well, relatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics