Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,247,709 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving has always been a favorite holiday of mine. Growing up we always had it at my grandparent's house. Before stuffing the turkey, my grandmother always picked it up by the wings and made it dance on the counter.

We always ate very late- 8 or 9pm. The grown ups would have cocktails and get into heated political debates for what seemed like forever. The kids, cousins who had not seen eachother in ages, would play and play. When the meat would practically fall off the bone, it was dinner time.

And there was always a dog stationed under the dinner table while we ate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,565,078 times
Thanksgiving growing up used to mean that we got all dressed up and went to some friends. I had no cousins but my parents friends had children our age. We still keep in tough today.
Now that we're all grown and spread out.
My sister, older brother and father meet at my sister's house with all the extended families. I got to go up there a couple times for it and had a ball.

I get up T-day morning and make a big breadfast, cook just enough t-day staples so we have so leftover for the weekend.
Then hubby and I usually go to his sister's house around 1, watch the football, watch my b-i-l cook (he's a master chef) We usually eat around 4.
There ends up being 15-20 family members there.
We like to be home by 8:30-9.
It's a good day.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,084,997 times
When we were little kids, "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (the one with Laurel and Hardy) always showed on TV and we'd watch while my mom scurried around in the kitchen. We ate at dinner time, 6 or so.
Mom always had celery and olives on the table. She said her mom always did, so she did it, too. Now I, if I am cooking, do the same thing.

When I was grown with my own family, Thanksgiving usually involved out of town travel, and I grew to resent it after awhile.

I am looking forward to staying here in my new home this year, and cooking in my new kitchen, although it's too bad my older son will not be with us.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,180,794 times
Thanksgiving is not a real tradition for latins/hispanics/spanish - whatever - countries but it sort of is to me and it is a little weird because the rest of my family/friends don't really celebrate it. I've tried to make a few thanksgivings in my house but everybody has to bring something because cooking and I do NOT get along.

I remember the first year (6 yrs ago) that my bf and I were together. I had all sorts of recipes to make and I couldn't get organized so he put up a "clothesline" across the kitchen counter opening so the recipes wouldn't get wet and dirty. It was really funny. We left it up when company came and it was a conversation piece, but I ended up burning the turkey and the rest of the stuff wasn't great. That's when I decided to STOP trying to cook, especially for the holidays.

The next year we had this house that has a built-in "smoker". My BF took two turkeys and spent all day outside with them (and the beer of course). They came out like hams. Really good. We had the whole 9 yards outside (because remember everybody had to bring a dish). I almost killed him though because he split the turkeys open and cut them up in parts when we put them on the table. I almost cried!

The next year he put the turkeys on the table in ONE PIECE!

Last year we went away to Indian Rocks Beach and this year I'm going to Tarpon Springs and I think we'll be having crab and lobster and some other greek stuff probably. :-)) Family and friends keep getting smaller and smaller.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,427,498 times
Before my parents passed, Thanksgiving was always at their house. All of my brothers and sisters and their children would come down and spend the extended weekend at the house.

Football.

I wanted Parade.

As I got older, and my parents not so well in their health, I became head chef...

For about 45 people, yikes, that was starting at about 17/18 yo.

We had aunts uncles cousins as well...whoever wanted to come...yep, they were invited.

Now that my parents have passed, each of my brothers and sisters takes a turn and we all go to their house, each bringing food, helping, and enjoying being with eachother, I never want to go home, because I never see them. I have never had a house big enough to host it, so I am always skipped.

Now I do, have a house big enough, but this is not my year, with just having moved here in sept, and still with the ups and downs of the separation and all.

The kids and I cannot wait to go to whoever is hosting!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,941,566 times
Yikes is right! I don’t know how to handle 45 people at one time. WOW

After my wife, daughter and I moved out of state, we had Thanksgiving alone for several years. Then my parents would travel and come down to visit at that time of year. It was fun to have everyone around the table and talk, eat, laugh, and tell jokes / stories. Now my parents are gone and my wife and I lost our daughter several years ago when she was 25 year old. Life at Thanksgiving just isn’t the same, but we enjoy the memories and relive the best of times. That’s a big part of our day and we enjoy as much as possible the events of the past.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,240,782 times
Thanksgiving has always been a time in my family to reflect on the blessings that God has given us. This year will be the first Thanksgiving without my father-inlaw, Grandmother and Grandfather. They all passed away this year. When my baby sister passed we quit having a gathering at my parents and did a few at my middle sisters house, then we started going back home to S.C. to my grandmothers. I don't know what we will do this year. I hope a time to remember the good things about the ones that are not with us now and of course our many blessings. I hope it is not a sad time.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,469,416 times
This will be a sad thanksgiving as far as not spending it with the whole famliy
(6 sisters 4 brother in laws plus tons of all the kids and their kids = 34)
My youngest is out in San Diego (navy) 1 nephew is in irag (army) and another gets out from the navy in Jan and is stationed in Va . Since my oldest son lives in Va and my nephew is stationed near him , we are going to spend thanksgiving in Va and my sister and her husband are coming down also so at least part of the family will be together

It gets harder every year to get the whole family together but we manage to do it
especially when one of the kids is home on leave

Anyway i know i am early but
May you all have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,708,172 times
Default Thanksgiving.......

Thanksgiving was always at the parents. With the Thanksgiving Parade on TV and me always looking for Santa in the end.
It was fun and festive, for my mom who was not the greatest cook.....but, it all turned out.
Now it is at my home. I light the highest candles now, for there is babies around. The fireplace has the logs that go in colors so the kids can sit and watch. And we still look for Santa at the end of the parade!
Sometimes the kids will take a ride in the wagon of the tractor around the property.
Lots of turkey, stuffing, and pies........... Good family conversation.
Then in the evening just at the glow of darkness.........all the twinkling lights come alive on the trees...........Surprise!
The children get excited......can Christmas be far away?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,529 posts, read 6,342,861 times
Before I was married our family holidays were always potluck. My great grand mother would make the turkey and homemade rolls and pumpkin and mincemeat pie. Everybody else would bring their specialty dish. Then we all would pitch in and do mashed potaoes and gravy & all the last minute stuff. The men would sit around like lumps. We all pitched in to clean up afterwards. The men would sit around like bloated lumps.

My great grand mother died shortly after I was married and everybody kinda went their own ways. The first Thanksgiving I spent at the inlaws I was shocked. I showed up with a dessert and two casseroles. Everybody else showed up with nada. His Grandmother cooked everything and cleaned it up by herself. I managed to get the rest to start bringing stuff and helping with clean up but again the men sat around like lumps. Since Im a only child Mom went with me.

His Gram is gone now. His Mom does it now but I dont go there anymore. His family and me , we have issues. Everybody on my side is gone but Mom and Huz is gone for the moment. For a while we made an attempt but neither one of us really wants to do the big toodoo for just the two of us. So lately we usually just cook a turkey and buy the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics