Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,308,355 times

Advertisements

I'm the oldest girl ,I have 2 sisters and 3 brothers. I think I was a little more spoiled,but then again I did end up doing alot of babysitting and helping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 04:16 PM

571 posts, read 2,538,497 times
I'm a "lonely only." I think being an only child made me more outgoing because I had to make my own friends. I also think it made me more creative since I had to find ways to entertain myself when my friends weren't around. I don't think I was especially spoiled because we didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up (my mom was a single working parent.)

The birth order theories say that firstborns and onlys tend to be high achievers...I guess that's true with me too. I was the first in my family to go to college (let alone grad school.)

I woud say one of the biggest downsides to being an only is my high need for privacy...I think I need "down" time more often than people who grew up in big families and are used to having people around all the time. It took my husband a while to realize that (he's the 2nd youngest of 5 kids), but thankfully, we've since learned how to deal with each others' "quirks!"

Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM

241 posts, read 1,001,817 times
grammy164...I have 4 human kids and a grandson, as well as all of my fur kids About 8 yrs ago I had my own daycare and it was for kids that were on state assistance. I was a single parent then and didn't want to go to work and have my kids raised by someone else and it was the best thing for all involved. I did that for about two yrs and the other kids moved out of the town and my kids and I were worn out and I got married.

I believe that adoption at the core is a good idea but the system needs a desperate overhaul. But that is a totally different topic LOL.

My parents were out in left field but my bros and I had a ton of fun fishing every day after school and hiking all over the dams that we grew up at. So I was able to get out and live a bit. My horse was my best friend for a long time, and so was the one, Sahara, that followed my first. I went two yrs without a horse and it was too depressing for me. So I now have 3 and one was a rescue like most of my cats and dogs and they are all spoiled, fur and human kids alike!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,342,964 times
my3arabs--You sound just like my friend--very compassionate and caring. Life sounds very good now! I'm glad!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:52 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,326,162 times
I am the only child of an only child. I grew up with my grandparents. Needless to say, I was a rotten child! My grandfather used to run the motor pool at Andrews AFB, and when he retired he spent much time building me mini-bikes from lawnmower and wheelbarrow parts. My grandmother always cooked whatever I wanted, even if it was not what they were having. My husband believes that I am still rotten, but at least I have learned to eat with the group!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Are you the oldest, youngest or a middle child? Only girl, only boy, only child, twin? Do you think you received better treatment because of your placement or did it cause you to feel like you had to fight for attention? Do you think it makes a difference if you're the first, second, last or only born? Just curious.
I'm the baby.......basically the golden child as I've learned from my older siblings mistakes!!!! I didn't repeat them!! lol

Old 10-10-2006, 08:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,431,616 times
I'm the middle child of three boys. I however have bucked the "Middle Child Syndrome" and have not turned into a serial killer.......yet.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,494,162 times
I am the youngest by far. My brother was 12 years older than me and my sister is 8 years older than me. I come from an Italian family so if anyone knows how they operate, the oldest son is the King. The daughters are like Cinderella. My sister and I had to do everything for my brother and father. I was spoiled by everyone except my parents. I do consider myself a spolied brat though.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 AM

622 posts, read 2,716,856 times
second in command.

1 older sister, 2 younger brothers. my sister and i took care of the boys as my mom was a single mom, always working. we grew up very poor, so i was definitely not spoiled! we fought a lot, but there was never really a fight for attention in my family. we grew up very close and depended on each other as a result of a really screwed up, alcoholic mother and crazy life. no one really took care of us, we only had each other.

i think i am lucky to have such a close relationship with my siblings!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,342,964 times
Interesting thread. I still don't think birth order necessarily plays a big part in who we become and it sounds like many of you agree?
I'm the second child and the middle girl. I think what affected my life more than being the second child was being the really dumb blonde (not saying all blondes are dumb-just admitting I was) sister sandwiched between 2 amazingly smart brunettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics