Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times

Advertisements

^^ this is true. Could solve the situation very easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Yes, I'm in Rosarito area and did cross the border 2-3 times a month but they have been doing a lot of Construction the last year and 2-3 hrs in line with the engine idling and the cost of gas it's a BEAR.

My box was filled with UNSOLICTED mail....2-3 apps for CC cards (more then once) local junk mail etc etc ....could go on.

$96 a year for 1-2 letters a month and yes I do pay some bills via the internet to save gas expense and some time.....have had the same box for 17 yrs now.

Be it 1st Class or Junk/Bulk mail it still takes the same hands to post my mail.

I have seen people get bundles of mail that was kept in the back due to the persons e box being full.

Do feel that when a person pays $1.50-5.00 for a envelope/sm pkg it should not be returned to sender since the contents warranted the mail charge to begin with.

Before Nov Election I had a rubber band full of solicitations for the Democratic Party....see my point.

As for talking to the Post Master...thought of that but the answer would probably be that they have thousands of letters/pkgs coming in and going out and time is of essence so I would be SOL.

The RANT goes.....The RANT goes on (sounds like a song)

Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM

24,480 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Steve, would a place like Mil Plus be a better option?

MAILBOX PLUS

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Mail boxes should be built with a shredder inside them for junk mail.........................

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Has been a while since I heard a price for a local business that had a LARGE box in the same PO for a twice a week pickup.

At one time they charged a $125 yearly fee that was increased to $175......but that has been a few yrs back...things change.

My understanding a while back was that the USPS depended on BULK mail as a source of income for it's operation.

Pity the poor mailman walking his route with a bag full of Junk/Bulk mail.

The Rant (beat) goes on.....the Rant goes on (already said that)

Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Tape a sign on the front of the box.

"No junk mail deliveries allowed"
That's not a bad idea if you have a front-loading mailbox, but unfortunately, in some cases the USPS delivery persons have access to the mailboxes from the back, where nobody else can have access, which is the case in the community mailboxes in the area I live in, so if I could find a way to tape that sign on the back of my mailbox..

Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
My rant about the USPS - I've had my mail and mail that belongs to my neighbors placed in the wrong mail boxes. I went down to the Post Office and I complained to somebody a few months ago, and nothing has changed.. I'm only glad I have neighbors I can trust.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
^^

You may want to contact (by phone) the Post Master at the main office in downtown and register a complaint. They (he or she) must document the issue and provide a follow up on the corrective actions taken.

Luckily I had only one issue in the past 30+ years at this location. I’ve got a wonderful letter-carrier.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,953 times
OK, let me see if I understand correctly.

You reside outside of the US and rent a small, US PO box (probably the smallest available) that you empty, at the most, a couple of times a month, and you are upset because the postal workers are following the federal postal rules and procedures.

1. You want the postal employees to screen your mail for you, even though there are likely thousands of other postal patrons they are supporting.
2. You want the postal employees to REMOVE mail from your box once it has been delivered if something "more important" comes in.
3. You want the Post Office to hold possibly perishable controlled substances until you have a chance to get around to pick them up.

I do not work for the post office but have several friends who do. My understanding of regulations and procedures for those situations is this.

1. All mail must be delivered as addressed. If it comes in to the post office with your name and address on it, the employees are required by law to deliver it to your box. They are in violation of the law if they separate out things that you consider less important and do not deliver them.

2. Once the mail is placed in your box, they cannot remove it to make room for mail that comes in later. So, if you pick up your mail one day and they put mail into your box the next day, that mail will stay there until you pick it up a week and a half to two weeks later or whenever it is.

3. Undeliverable first class mail is handled following a list of criteria, based on the reason for being undeliverable and the type of mail it is. Mail that is not first class is not returned. One of the things that makes mail undeliverable is no receptacle to put the mail in. When your box is completely full, there is no receptacle to deliver it to, so it is handled according to the regulations.

As I see it, you have several options that you can choose to do.

A. You can do nothing differently and keep ranting because the office is following the procedures correctly.

B. You can make an effort to make the trip to pick up your mail more frequently.

C. You can make arrangements and authorize a friend who lives closer to pick up your mail for you to keep your box empty.

D. You can rent a box from a private mailbox business that will accommodate your requests and hold the mail for you, even if it doesn't fit the box. Who knows, perhaps you can even authorize them to sort out the "junk" and dispose of it.

E. You can rent a larger box from the post office, one that will hold an anticipated half month or more of your mail.

F. You can cancel the box in the US and change your address to something closer to where you actually reside. An advantage of this would be that you would very likely stop getting the election materials from the US candidates.

I understand that these are not likely the options you like, but I would be extremely upset if I found out that you convinced the Post office officials to ignore established regulations and guidelines to accommodate your "wants".

Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM

THANX for the informative response.

Do understand that there has to be rules to follow.

One thing the USPS and other firms dealing with clients or customers have to remember........

"Never bite the hand that feeds you as someday it might not be there"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics